Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beast  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:47:17 PM(UTC)
First off, this article seemed to forget Kyle Murphy is even on the team, but I thought it brought up an interesting OL topic. And there are other interesting OL topics (at least to me).
PackersTalk said:
Handicapping the Right Side of the Offensive Line:

With the left side of the Green Bay Packers offensive line firmly intact for years to come, they have set themselves up through the draft and player development to have ample options to effectively fill in the right side of the offensive line for the duration of Brian Bulaga’s absence.

Bulaga is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation from ACL surgery but the Packers will still be planning for him to rehab and return in time for a postseason push. In the meantime, the Packers will be forced to put together a makeshift offense line, which has some worried that the offensive line will struggle again in 2018.

Continue Reading @ PackersTalk

If Bulaga isn't 100 healthy it might be interesting... to see whose starting at RT and how they're doing. I think Murphy looked clearly the best last year, then Spriggs sorta by default.

Murphy: Murphy has a limited athletic ceiling but he showed some development last year and showed he can be a decent back-up swing OT. Time to see if he kept developing and might be good starter or if he's not quite ready.

Spriggs: It's going to be simply interesting to see if Spriggs has improved or not. Spriggs has amazing physical skillset... better than a lot of 1st round OTs, but in four years as a starter in college he failed to develop it as much as most 2 year starters (my opinion). Which is why he dropped out of the 1st round... of course the draft is about potential, which he still had a lot of, but it's back to the basic question, can he develop that physical talent or not? Both Lane Taylor and TJ Lang have had stories where they were coasting on their physical abilities until something big happened, to change that.... which is what I'm hoping last year was for Spriggs, as last year was the first year he got a chance to play and just plain sucked... which is sorta the thing that woke Taylor up and I'm hoping it does for Spriggs as well.

RG: Also the RG starting spot is open... of course McCray played so well last year (struggled in pass protection at RT, but that's normal for an OG), but if he plays as well as he did last year, the RG spot might be McCray's to lose.

The interior backup might be interesting too... with Patrick, Amichia and Madison. If the game has mentally slowness down for Amichia, then I think he could become very good, he's extremely athletic for an interior OG... and seemed to be tough, and physical. But in last year's training camp, it seemed like everything was happening to mentally fast for him... but if he's able to get it to slow down (like a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players say it does), then he could be a much bigger factual.
KRK  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 1:12:53 PM(UTC)
didn’t spriggs do surprisingly well in the last couple of games at RT? dont factor him out just yet.
beast  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 1:35:16 PM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
didn’t spriggs do surprisingly well in the last couple of games at RT? dont factor him out just yet.

I'm not factoring Spriggs out... in theory, he could develop any given offseason... and with his huge ceiling he could be a great player... it's just that he hasn't developed as much as one would expect (so far)... but some players it takes 3 or 4 years.

Spriggs did look better in his last two full games... and he didn't look completely horrible, which was surprising based on how he played before that. Of course, in context, the last two games were against the the worst defense Bucs and the winless Browns. But yes, he looked better in those two games.
KRK  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 1:56:35 PM(UTC)
Beast, good points.
I would contend he looked PD good....vs not horrible.
Sometimes It takes a reset, a benching, an injury, such that the player can really take advantage of the time off and understand his shortcomings. Then they can retool.

The kid was terrific at IU esp against OSU and MI. I hope the last two games from last season will give him the confidence and positive experience to take his game to an elite/NFL level.
DoddPower  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 5:25:37 PM(UTC)
Wait, so the Packers are planning on Bulaga not being available until a post-season push? I thought the hope was that he could be available early in the season?
wpr  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:12:16 PM(UTC)
I am hoping Spriggs puts it together this year. Any word on his rehab?
beast  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:37:06 PM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Beast, good points.
I would contend he looked PD good....vs not horrible.
Sometimes It takes a reset, a benching, an injury, such that the player can really take advantage of the time off and understand his shortcomings. Then they can retool.

As far as the "reset", I agree absolutely.... which was the point I was trying to make with Lang and Taylor, both of them had to set the reset button after something happened... and I've been hoping that Spriggs getting the chance to play last year, combined with preforming poorly is what is going to give that reset.

DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Wait, so the Packers are planning on Bulaga not being available until a post-season push? I thought the hope was that he could be available early in the season?

You're right (the article is wrong), the hope is Bulaga might be available early in the season... but really we don't have a clue where Bulaga is... other than ahead of schedule. But we don't know what the schedule was to start with.

I think the best case for Bulaga is that he's becomes ready during training camp... worst case, is he starts the season on the PUP list... and have to go without him for the first 6 weeks.

wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I am hoping Spriggs puts it together this year. Any word on his rehab?

Nope, no word on their rehab, but I think Murphy and Spriggs are expected to be fully healthy by now. It's Bulaga that's was thought to be the big question mark with a more serious injury, that takes longer to recover.
Rss Feed