Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:20:13 PM(UTC)
On January 24, 2018 the Packers promoted Jason Simmons from Asst. Special Teams Coach to Secondary Coach. He will be responsible for all of the CBs and Safeties. How well he coaches GB's Secondary could be the key to GB's 2018 season.

Coach Simmons brings 10 years of experience playing for the Steelers and Texans. Before that he spent 4 years as a CB at Arizona State U. I'm told that he has spent time in GB helping the CBs over the last few seasons. He knows GB and Coach McCarthy has faith in him, so I will also.

IMO, the KEY to success will lie chiefly with the Defensive Secondary. As the man responsible for that Secondary, GB's 2018 season may well depend on just how well Jason Simmons does his job.

GoPackGo
beast  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:44:21 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
As the man responsible for that Secondary, GB's 2018 season may well depend on just how well Jason Simmons does his job.

I got a feeling Joe Whitt Jr. would have a chip on his shoulder and might be upset if he heard that, after all as the defensive Pass Game Coordinator, he's the man responsible for the secondary as well, and I bet he's going to be doing a lot of coaching with them as well.
Smokey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:02:21 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I got a feeling Joe Whitt Jr. would have a chip on his shoulder and might be upset if he heard that, after all as the defensive Pass Game Coordinator, he's the man responsible for the secondary as well, and I bet he's going to be doing a lot of coaching with them as well.

Yes, Joe Whitt Jr. will have much to do with the GB Secondary. However Coach Simmons will most likely be the one at practice showing and teaching fundamental skills as Coach Witt JR. works to coordinate strategy.
beast  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:27:04 PM(UTC)
Yes, Joe Whitt Jr. will have much to do with the GB Secondary. However Coach Simmons will most likely be the one at practice showing and teaching fundamental skills as Coach Witt JR. works to coordinate strategy.

Most likely, all the coaches are going to be "at practice showing and teaching fundamental skills"... that's kinda a big part of their job.

It seems that you're assuming that coaches only do their job title, which is asinine. Your own orginial post proves that wrong as the Asst. Special Team coach was teaching fundamentals skills of the CBs (according to your post)... which if trues proves they do more than just their title.

On January 24, 2018 the Packers promoted Jason Simmons from Asst. Special Teams Coach ... I'm told that he has spent time in GB helping the CBs over the last few seasons.
beast  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:33:41 PM(UTC)
But you're right, Jason Simmons' coaching will have an impact, but their is no way he's coaching the Secondary alone, as it normally has two or three coaches for a group that large. And I believe it's already been reported that Whitt was asking Pettine about a certain technique to teach the players.

So Simmons will have help, either in the form of assistants and/or Whitt.
Smokey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:46:11 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
But you're right, Jason Simmons' coaching will have an impact, but their is no way he's coaching the Secondary alone, as it normally has two or three coaches for a group that large. And I believe it's already been reported that Whitt was asking Pettine about a certain technique to teach the players.

So Simmons will have help, either in the form of assistants and/or Whitt.

beast, of all this forums members, you most consistently seem to enjoy spinning a thread/post into a debate.

I never said that Couch Simmons would be acting alone, but he will be more involved in the 1 on 1, day to day training of the CB's and Safeties than most others. He will be very much involved with Alexander as well as Jackson as they transition to the NFL. King and Jones will enter their second seasons as well, so Coach Simmons will be the key coach at the heart of GB's youth oriented secondary. It will be his job to implement the defensive sets that his higher-ups set for them to use.

With the poor performance last season by GB's Secondary, I look forward to seeing marked improvement this year and Coach Simmons will play a large role in that moving forward.

Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:12:14 AM(UTC)
beast, of all this forums members, you most consistently seem to enjoy spinning a thread/post into a debate.

I'm going to have to pump the brakes here and step in with an Admin comment. We absolutely want debates! That's what makes a forum interesting! It's the different perspectives, the different opinions, different ideas, etc. The ask is we RESPECT each others perspectives, opinions, ideas and even if we do not like someone, we try to get along or if we can't get along, we ignore them. It's that simple.

I never said that Couch Simmons would be acting alone

I think the quote below might make some feel differently.

As the man responsible for that Secondary, GB's 2018 season may well depend on just how well Jason Simmons does his job.

GoPackGo

--- ANYWAYS ---

All in all, I think this is a good subject to debate. What kind of impact with Jason Simmons have on the secondary? He's the one leading the coaching of the Cornerbacks and Safeties now. I actually hope this helps eliminate some of the communication issues with the secondary. Previously we had Darren Perry with Safeties and Joe Whitt Jr with Cornerbacks.

So I posted below the structure and I believe Whitt will relay the concepts and game plan and it'll be up to Simmons to teach and implement it on an individual basis. When I say individual basis, I'm talking about using drills like catching tennis balls with one hand to work on tip ball drills better. Stuff like that.

The structure is as follows for defense below Defensive Coordinator.

Patrick Graham - Defense – Run Game Coordinator/Inside Linebackers
Joe Whitt Jr. - Defense – Pass Game Coordinator
Jason Simmons - Secondary
Jerry Montgomery - Defensive Line
Scott McCurley - Defensive Assistant
Ryan Downard - Defensive Quality Control
beast  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:42:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
The structure is as follows for defense below Defensive Coordinator.

Patrick Graham - Defense – Run Game Coordinator/Inside Linebackers
Joe Whitt Jr. - Defense – Pass Game Coordinator
Jason Simmons - Secondary
Jerry Montgomery - Defensive Line
Scott McCurley - Defensive Assistant
Ryan Downard - Defensive Quality Control

Winston Moss isn't in your list. Unless you're suggesting, he's above the defensive coordinator, with the title of Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Coach (not sure with the Associate head coach falls).
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 8:40:01 AM(UTC)
From what I have been able to discern, Pettine’s system relies more heavily on CBs than OLBs. Jam the WR at the line, cover one on one in man, and send an extra blitzer or two.

To do that, you need CBs who can get it done.
TheKanataThrilla  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:12:30 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
From what I have been able to discern, Pettine’s system relies more heavily on CBs than OLBs. Jam the WR at the line, cover one on one in man, and send an extra blitzer or two.

To do that, you need CBs who can get it done.

The fact we tended to have our CBs give a cushion to the WRs is one thing I will be glad to get away from. It was extremely frustrating to constantly give up easy yards. The fact that the cushion still didn't prevent the CBs from being burnt deep was even more frustrating.

Rss Feed