Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:04:47 AM(UTC)
What do you think about this? Dez Bryant reportedly turned down a multi year offer with Ravens because he wants to sign a one year prove it deal so he can cash in after 2018.

If the Packers signed 29 year old Dez Bryant at anything close to what Jordy Nelson was set to make, oh my lord are the fans going to blow up ala 2008 style!

http://bleacherreport.co...t-will-sign-with-packers

I looked at the Packers roster and we don't have any of the 10's available (14 and 15 were removed from circulation) and the only 80's number we have left is ... 87.
FLORIDA PACKER88  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:34:53 AM(UTC)
Michael David Smith said:
The most famous catch of Dez Bryant's career was a non-catch in Green Bay. Now he may get many more chances to catch passes in Green Bay. That's the word from former teammate Jason Witten, who said on Adam Schefter's podcast that he's expecting Bryant to end up with the Packers. "I think he's going [more]

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith

Not gonna lie, would not mind it IF he was brought in cheap. Not a long term signing, but gives us some protection in the case of the young guys not being ready.
nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:23:47 AM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88 said: Go to Quoted Post
Not gonna lie, would not mind it IF he was brought in cheap. Not a long term signing, but gives us some protection in the case of the young guys not being ready.

Cobb would be gone.

Goot will offer him 3/4 of Cobb’s money.
TheKanataThrilla  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:51:39 AM(UTC)
It would make sense only if he takes a really low deal or if we cut Cobb. We need all the money we can find right now to get the Rodgers deal done. Unless they are planning on using all the freed up cap space next year with Cobb and Matthews gone to go towards Aaron's contract.
warhawk  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:58:13 AM(UTC)
The "prove it" part scares me. He already wants the ball thrown to him twice as much as it is no matter how many that adds up to (even if he's not open I may add). Now he's going to want it thrown to him even more.
I would throw Daniels in on the meeting and let Bryant know that if he's going to cry like a bitch on the sidelines Daniels will be right there to give him a good reason. I just don't think Dez is ready to consider he is no longer the go too guy and that could be a real problem for any team that signs him.

Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:19:32 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
It would make sense only if he takes a really low deal or if we cut Cobb. We need all the money we can find right now to get the Rodgers deal done. Unless they are planning on using all the freed up cap space next year with Cobb and Matthews gone to go towards Aaron's contract.

Aaron is under contract two more seasons. An extension won't cost more during those two years. It'll (those seasons) be converted to bonus or something which will give Packers more cap space for 2018 and 2019. That's atleast how I understand contract extensions.
KRK  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:33:09 AM(UTC)
I agree with most of the contributors...if cheap, great....but his attitude could be a cancer.

Also, let's not forget 88 is a very capable receiver.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:46:34 AM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree with most of the contributors...if cheap, great....but his attitude could be a cancer.

Also, let's not forget 88 is a very capable receiver.

I don't think he'd be able to wear #88. I doubt Ty Montgomery is going to give it up, especially after he resisted changing numbers when he went from WR to RB.

The fact that Dez Bryant is still out there concerns me of his value. Then again. Charles Woodson back in what 2005/2006?...
DoddPower  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:38:21 AM(UTC)
warhawk said: Go to Quoted Post
The "prove it" part scares me. He already wants the ball thrown to him twice as much as it is no matter how many that adds up to (even if he's not open I may add). Now he's going to want it thrown to him even more.
I would throw Daniels in on the meeting and let Bryant know that if he's going to cry like a bitch on the sidelines Daniels will be right there to give him a good reason. I just don't think Dez is ready to consider he is no longer the go too guy and that could be a real problem for any team that signs him.

This is a good point. As long as the Packers felt comfortable with his attitude, I think this would be a great signing from a football perspective. And who knows, with injuries, it's not unlikely that he ends up as the Packers #1 WR and finishes the season with 1,000+ yards and double digit touchdowns. D. Adams does have a concerning concussion history.
sschind  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:38:14 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Cobb would be gone.

Goot will offer him 3/4 of Cobb’s money.

Then what would be the point of signing him. IMO it wouldn't represent enough of an upgrade, if any at all, to warrant the switch and the relatively small cap savings wouldn't amount to enough to make the risk worth it.
buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:11:31 PM(UTC)
Offer him what they offered Jordy.

Dez says yes, it would be a good fit.

DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:03:24 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Offer him what they offered Jordy.

Dez says yes, it would be a good fit.

So league minimum? That will work as well as it did for Jordy.
buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:20:10 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
So league minimum? That will work as well as it did for Jordy.

Exactly.

Cobb being dumped just to sign Bryant is also bullshit.

nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:46:42 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
Then what would be the point of signing him. IMO it wouldn't represent enough of an upgrade, if any at all, to warrant the switch and the relatively small cap savings wouldn't amount to enough to make the risk worth it.

The point would be 1: you wouldn't be overpaying and 2: you get a perimeter guy with some size.
nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:48:42 PM(UTC)
profootballrumors

Quote:
Some would argue that the Packers could use more firepower in the WR department, but Packers decision makers do not agree – or, at the very least, they do not see Bryant as a fit at this time.
Cheesey  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:31:29 PM(UTC)
If he’s looking to try to get a SB ring, he would be smart to take a cheap one year deal, then go for the big bucks if he shows he still has it.
Rodgers would be a great QB to use Dez’s talents.
Of course I have NO idea what the Packer brass are thinking.
So I guess we won’t know until Bryant signs somewhere.
sschind  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:19:38 AM(UTC)
The point would be 1: you wouldn't be overpaying and 2: you get a perimeter guy with some size.

You wouldn't be overpaying for Cobb but you wouldn't have him on the team either. You cut him to sign Bryant then you need to find someone to take his place. I suppose you could get Bryant and a replacement for Cobb for what we are paying Cobb but that would be a necessity. Signing Bryant, cutting Cobb and not replacing him would leave us no better off than staying the way we are now.

nerdmann  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:07:22 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
You wouldn't be overpaying for Cobb but you wouldn't have him on the team either. You cut him to sign Bryant then you need to find someone to take his place. I suppose you could get Bryant and a replacement for Cobb for what we are paying Cobb but that would be a necessity. Signing Bryant, cutting Cobb and not replacing him would leave us no better off than staying the way we are now.

Any one of these guys could line up in the slot and get 600 yards.

How much does Yancey make?
warhawk  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:50:47 PM(UTC)
I think there comes a point where too much change begins to erode the possibility of improvement.
There is a new OC.
There is a revamped offensive playbook.
There is no longer Jordy.
There is now Graham.
Without anything else happening that's a lot of change. Now if you consider adding Bryant and cutting Cobb....wow. Do they really need to go that far? I hope not.

I hope that the new OC and offensive plan will help Cobb and Graham will prove to be a good signing. At least I believe that's been part of the plan all along. That would leave the only hole at the #3 wr position with about 8 players trying to win that spot. I don't see the need for a whole lot more change to end up starting the season in very good shape with our passing game.

Not to forget they need to have a hot start this year the way the schedule is set up. They need to win early and often before that very tough middle of season schedule. They don't have the luxury of time to work their way into becoming familiar with one another.

They've made plenty of changes between players, coaches, and playbook. More than this offense has seen in many years combined. Find a viable #3 and get to work and they will be fine.

sschind  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:08:55 PM(UTC)
Any one of these guys could line up in the slot and get 600 yards.

How much does Yancey make?

maybe... if they throw them the ball. We will never know but the bottom line for me is signing Bryant would be an OK move. Signing Bryant and cutting Cobb would be a big mistake.

Rss Feed