Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I was reading this and thought, that's a good point.

As I got to the bottom of the article I was thinking, why does gambling matter? Why should the NFL or any league have to change their disclosure policies to accommodate gambling?

After all, when you gamble, you are assuming risk. Are you not? If leagues are going to be forced to alternate anything to accommodate gambling, then I would rather gambling being outlawed permanently.

This part (one of several) that stuck out to me as absurd.

"Teams eventually may have to publish binding depth charts within, say, 48 hours before kickoff."

A lot can happen in 48 hours. What if the player falls in the shower, breaks their leg? Are you subjected to a penalty if the doctors x-ray doesn't show a significant enough break?

I am fine with those who want to risk their money. Its your own life, do whatever you wish, but to have things change to accommodate those risking their money is wrong.

What do you feel about this article and its point?

Here’s a great question that emerged in the aftermath of the Supreme Court decision to allow legalized sports wagering in the 49 states that don’t have it: If Patriots coach Bill Belichick had planned to bench starting cornerback Malcolm Butler for the entirety of a Super Bowl (with the exception of one special-teams play) in an environment with widespread legal gambling, would Belichick have been able to keep that to himself?

The people who legally (in Nevada) and illegally (everywhere else) bet on the Patriots to cover in Super Bowl LII surely were miffed and perplexed that Butler didn’t play. If hundreds of millions of dollars legally had been bet on the Patriots and Belichick had made such an unexpected move for reasons that he chose (as he always does) to keep to himself, the reaction may have been far different.

This is just one of the many issues that NFL will have to consider as it braces for the unintended consequences of something that, on the surface, will result in much greater revenue for the sport. And it will be important for the league to anticipate the many unintended consequences and plan for them.

Continue reading @ProFootballTalk 

Mike Florio wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Because it goes to the integrity of the game.

For example, let’s say your star quarterback has a secret habit of sexually harassing female massage therapists. This may put him at risk of being blackmailed to throw horrible INTs in the playoffs.

Organized crime reaches deep. I mean look at the DPI rules, and what constitutes a catch. We already have officials determining the outcome of games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

You got to give priorities to these things, and I think the final priority has to go to the team... which means if Bill does that kind of thing, then I think he has full right to do it... though I think he might have to explain it to the NFL (and they'll just look into it, and say it was alright and legal for Bill to do (because 1) It was, and 2) the NFL lies for themselves even if something isn't alright).

As far as betting would go, I would have a bigger problem with the purposely tanking like the Bucs seemed to do to lock up the 1st overall pick (which was used on QB Jameis Winston)...

And other teams have been accused of doing more of lately (even if that wasn't the case).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

You got to give priorities to these things, and I think the final priority has to go to the team... which means if Bill does that kind of thing, then I think he has full right to do it... though I think he might have to explain it to the NFL (and they'll just look into it, and say it was alright and legal for Bill to do (because 1) It was, and 2) the NFL lies for themselves even if something isn't alright).

As far as betting would go, I would have a bigger problem with the purposely tanking like the Bucs seemed to do to lock up the 1st overall pick (which was used on QB Jameis Winston)...

And other teams have been accused of doing more of lately (even if that wasn't the case).

Originally Posted by: beast 

No, absolutely, NO! The priority goes to the league and how their teams want to disclose their own information. If you want to be a fool and gamble, YOU assume 100% of the risk. Money is such a bullshit thing.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

No, absolutely, NO! The priority goes to the league and how their teams want to disclose their own information. If you want to be a fool and gamble, YOU assume 100% of the risk. Money is such a bullshit thing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Um, you just rudely said no... then very much agreed with what I was trying to saying... 😕

They only thing I said differently was the NFL would probably add a BS fake ass review board for PR reasons... the review board wouldn't actually be doing anything... just pretend to investigate and then give the NFL approve... sorta like all the other NFL fake investigations. So they would pretend to go investigate why Bill did it, and a couple of weeks later they'll give their seal of approval (in pretty much ever case)... sorta like all the other NFL fake investigations.

The Biggest Problem(s) the NFL Might Have

1) The interpretation of the rules (ie, is it a catch? Is it not a catch?)

2) When the NFL decides to not even follow their own written rules.

~ There was talk that the NFL didn't follow their current in place catch rules for the Super Bowl when doing NYC GameDay Central "booth" reviews, and where instead implying their new rules to it, before the new rule was even officially in place.

And I argued that late in the season that the NYC GameDay Central "booth" reviews seemed to be ignoring their own rule book. So I think the NYC "booth" lead by the head ref was going by a different rule book than the official one.

A Possible Players Problem

At one point the NFL got seriously fine crazy about big hits on ST units, trying to curve ST injuries via fines (which totally didn't work, but NFL likes trying poor management ideas).

But anyways, I noticed that if the announcer verbally pointed you out or even said your name, or talked about your hit... it was basically an automatic fine. Even if the big hit look pretty legal, they still got the fine when ever the announce talked about a big hit.

Interestingly, there were some bigger clearly illegal hits further away from the play, that the announcer didn't talk about and they were never given fines for those, because they didn't get airtime (which is how I think the NFL was halfway giving out fines... if anyone announcers or other teams, pointed out big hits, they gave them fines.)

My point being, the NFL could (stupidly) go back to very questionable fining practices, if/when the public/gambling places starts complaining more.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Um, you just rudely said no... then very much agreed with what I was trying to saying... 😕

The "rude" no was to giving priority to gambling over the leagues. I inferred that to mean leagues need to disclose more information to appease the betting community. Am I wrong with my inferrance?
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

The "rude" no was to giving priority to gambling over the leagues. I inferred that to mean leagues need to disclose more information to appease the betting community. Am I wrong with my inferrance?

It depends... I want to say, yes, you're mistaken with your inference... but it depends on how you interpret certain actions. Let's see if I can explain what I meant better and see you're thoughts. OR to save time, read the recap at the bottom

The "rude" no was to giving priority to gambling over the leagues.

I said giving priority to the teams, which I meant giving priority to the leagues over gambling (gambling needs the leagues a lot more than the leagues need gambling)

I inferred that to mean leagues need to disclose more information to appease the betting community.

Nope, I was suggesting the the league would probably set up a fake ass investigation committee or group or etc, to pretend to give a rats' ass about what their teams do and how it effects gambling...

Not because the league needs to... but because the league is huge into PR and pretending like they're taking a matter serious, when in reality it's mostly PR bullshiting...

So for example, if Bill sat Butler with no warning, then gambling people might get upset and this fake ass investigation committee will investigate, annoying the hell out of Bill for a few weeks and then sooner or later find that there is nothing to see here, you don't got to go home, but you can't stay here... because the NFL is doing their job perfectly bullshit.

So no, not because the NFL needs to... but because the NFL wants to
1) Pretend like they care
2) Pretend like they can be unbiased when monitor themselves

But the reality being, that it's nothing but PR and lies... and if they ever did find something, that they'd attempt to sweep it under the rug, just like they attempted to do with Spygate (and every other controversy)...

Recap
You're saying NO to the NFL caring about and changing for gambling.

I'm saying I think the NFL is going to FAKE caring and changing for gambling, but in reality there will be no real caring/change (at least not until the NFL gets caught in some betting scandal that they can't ignore)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I apologize for my misunderstanding. I am just very ardent that the leagues (regardless of sport) do not change anything to accommodate those risking their money. If you wanna put $100 on a team winning a game and they bench someone that you later feel cost that team a victory, tough titties. No one should have to jump through hoops for people who wish to gamble their money.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I apologize for my misunderstanding. I am just very ardent that the leagues (regardless of sport) do not change anything to accommodate those risking their money. If you wanna put $100 on a team winning a game and they bench someone that you later feel cost that team a victory, tough titties. No one should have to jump through hoops for people who wish to gamble their money.

I agree with that... the thing I think the NFL needs to fix (for all fans and ethics, not for gambling) is to have all the reviews following the NFL rulebook, which I'm still upset about because I feel pretty sure that the NFL/NYC headquarters review did not do at times last year... and both former NFL Head of Officiating seem to agree with me, as they publically spoke out how they couldn't figure out they made some of their calls because it went against the rulebook.

That needs to be fixed no matter what...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.