beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
With me not knowing enough about this new helmet rule, I'm assuming this is an over reaction, but Florio makes a good point... if the NFL is going to seriously and heavily enforce this new rule, then the NFL could be changing a lot.

Of course, same could be said with the PI and holding rules... and as CB Richard Sherman has pointed out, hold every play, and they'll get tired of calling it. So maybe it won't be as strongly enforced either. But then, they could basically call this helmet rule any random play as it happens every play.

Say farewell to the three-point stance
Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2018, 9:44 PM EDT
Getty Images

At a time when football fans finally are waking up to the demise of the kickoff, another football staple is about the go the way of the Stegosaurus. And a game that many regard as a dinosaur could soon be extinct, at least as we know it.

With the NFL finally admitting what some suspected for the past two months — the new helmet rule does apply to offensive and defensive linemen — the three-point stance inevitably will be gone. And the NFL will have gotten rid of it without actually getting rid of it.

That may be news to some of the people on the inside. Saints coach Sean Payton, a member of the Competition Committee, said recently on PFT Live that the three-point stance won’t be going away “in our lifetime.” But as coaches like Payton adjust to the interpretation that finally was unveiled on Tuesday, they’ll realize that the three-point stance has become an invitation to violate the new helmet rule.

“He’s got to get his head up,” NFL senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron said Tuesday regarding offensive linemen.

The only way to keep his head up is to never put it down. The three-point stance comes from the ability to fire out and slam into the opponent. With linemen in such close quarters, it will be impossible for an offensive lineman to blast forward into a defensive lineman without potentially hitting the opponent with a helmet that necessarily is low.

profootballtalk  wrote:

UserPostedImage
gotarace
5 years ago
I understand wanting to protect players and extend their playing careers. Quality of life after Football has to be considered here also. But Damn football has been altered in my lifetime. Soon it will be something that doesn't even resemble the sport I grew up loving. Will it even be possible to have a goal line stand with all players in a upright position? Will more flags being thrown for a lineman going low with his head first put the outcome of games more into Referees hands? Too me it is easy for the Refs to keep games close as it is and this is just another rule that should be thought about before fully implemented.

Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
gbguy20
5 years ago
Imagine this: 3rd and goal with inches to go for the game winning touchdown ND none of the lineman, neither offense or defense are allowed to be in a 3 point stance. Now imagine turning off the tv before the ball is snapped because you already know the next play will be garbage and you no longer care about the outcome because this glorious game finally been destroyed. End scene
gbguy20
5 years ago
This rule simply has to give an exemption to the lineman in the trenches or this game gas effectively been ruined. Play will be significantly altered and unrecognizable.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

This rule simply has to give an exemption to the lineman in the trenches or this game gas effectively been ruined. Play will be significantly altered and unrecognizable.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

First off, it sounds like the kickoff will be unrecognizable to us this year... and who knows, that might mean more returns, which might mean more injuries.... I agree when someone wrote, the kickoff rule change could either save or kill kickoffs for the NFL.

As far as this rule, I think it all depends on how it's called on the field...

I can't see linemen (nor coaches) stopping this, even if it's against the rules... I mean, yes they'll throw some flags, but they can't throw a flag every play and still have a decent game...

What they're saying has become ridiculous with what I think the reality is... that you simply can't stop all helmets hitting and still have a good game, because players are still going to do what ever takes to win (rules be damned), which means they're either going to have allow it (to a certain degree) or they're going to have be ridiculous with flag calling ruining the game.

So, I'm thinking the NFL verbal statements is wrong, how about this is going to be enforced.

Of course, I think the NFL people, could somewhat be talking out of both sides of their mouth here! As it sounded like they reviewed a ton of plays last year and only four of them would the new rule of counted on... that being the Bears LB hit on Adams (I don't remember the others)... of course, I think I just got confused... as that was the automatic ejection rule on the helmet rule, not all helmet rules, such as where just 15 yards might due.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
If they're worried about post concussion symptom, maybe they'll put all the players on a mandatory cannabis program.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

put all the players on a mandatory cannabis program.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Who knows? It might even stop offensive linemen from throwing dumbbells at people.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I question how significant an impact this rule is going to have.

For one thing, it's clearly directed against players, including linemen, leading with the crowns of their helmets, which doesn't happen nearly as often as people seem to think. This isn't rugby we're talking about here -- plays aren't initiated with all-out scrums. From the three-point stance, not even centers typically lead with the crown of their helmets. They're trained to keep their heads up and eyes ahead. An offensive lineman with his eyes down at the snap gets overpowered by the defensive linemen and shoved into the dirt almost instantly. Not to mention, leading with the crown of the helmet means the player has his neck extended at the point of attack, putting him at drastically increased risk of head and neck trauma.

For another thing, it seems to me that teams have been gradually moving away from the three-point stance for years now. I see plenty of offensive tackles who hardly ever put their hands in the dirt, and gradually, more guards are starting to follow suit. I don't profess to know the reason for this change in tactics, but it wouldn't surprise me if it parallels the trend toward taller, more athletic hybrid guards we've been seeing recently, many of whom played tight end or basketball in college. The three-point stance obviously gives linemen a lower center of gravity and more power into the initial push, but this may not be as vital with the finesse styles of offense that predominate in the league today.

That being said, even if this rule did effectively ban the three-point stance, I can't see teams abandoning it wholesale overnight. That would entail retraining players to overcome mechanical patterns that have been ingrained in them for over a decade by the time they hit the pros. It's just not possible. To prevent utter chaos in the trenches, this kind of transition to an entirely new style of play will have to be worked in over a period of several years, starting with the rookies.

On the other hand, if coaches get paranoid about the possibility of flag-happy officials and do try to expedite the move away from the three-point stance, I have to wonder how that will affect production on the field. Will it make offensive linemen less effective at opening holes for running backs -- or will it actually get them into the flat a little quicker? Will a more upright stance make it easier for defensive linemen and linebackers to push the offensive linemen back into the quarterback, leading to more sacks? Will that force a transition to an even greater reliance on the dink-and-dunk mode that has risen to prominence, spelling the death of the deep-ball aerial attack? Or will quarterbacks resort to extending plays with their legs, giving time for their receivers to gain separation downfield?

More interestingly, how does this affect the quarterback sneak? Is the quarterback now compelled to keep his head up as he dives over the goal line? I don't see how that's physically possible without severely compromising safety, and even if it were possible, how it could be enforced. It would definitely have a chilling effect on that kind of strategy. For that matter, are running backs going to be required to keep their heads up when carrying the ball? Is this the end of rushers lowering their shoulder and taking it to the defense?

My guess is that the league will direct officiating crews to make this one of their points of focus for a few weeks this season, we'll see a lot of flags flying in the early going, coaches will tiptoe around for fear of giving up too much penalty yardage, offensive production might even decline laughably,* and then things will calm down as teams will go back to playing pretty much as they always have. They'll just be very vocal in their admonitions for players to tackle and blocks with their heads to the sides of opponents -- as the Patriots, for example, already are.

* Not that that would be a huge surprise; ever since the NFL went to the new practice regime, offensive cohesion throughout the league has looked mediocre to borderline terrible through the first quarter of the season. These days defenses seem to feast early on, while offenses seem to take several weeks to gel. It would be fascinating to do a statistical study comparing the injury rates over the course of the season and see if patterns have changed with the drastic reduction in contact during practices. I have the software to do it; I wish I just had the time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.