isocleas2
5 years ago

Sure, the president has a platform from which to mold public perception and opinion, but no one is forced to think how the president thinks or act on his suggestions.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

You may have undersold that a little, I think the president of the United States probably has the biggest platform in the world to mold public perception, and seeing as how the NFL skews more conservative than other leagues (like the NBA)...when he says something is wrong it has a large effect.

Also not sure why we're arguing about this, Trump is happy to take credit, the owners say he played a part in the decision making, why not just give him his due?

Edit: Yes Cheesey i agree he's not the only one at fault, the owners preferred to piss off their players (and some fans), instead of the president (and some other fans). They will pay for it (probably literally) during the next contract negotiations.
Cheesey
5 years ago
Let’s actually “call out” the people that are protesting.
As I have said many times, why do black lives only matter if a white cop is involved, when literally dozens of black people are murdered by other black people every week across this nation. Why arn’t the players protesting THAT injustice?
That is why I think the protest is senseless.
If someone has the balls to confront that fact, then the protesting would actually have meaning.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

So, you're saying the teams don't provide the total number sold vs total who showed up, yet you are gonna say attendance is declining? You're willing to say attendance is decreasing, yet you aren't willing to find the turnstile numbers to support the statement when asked? Great discussion piece.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Kevin you can be a real asshole. I said I was not trying to argue with you. Teams sell tickets. There has been no drop off in total ticket sales. You are right in that comment. But it takes no effort to see that people didn’t show up last year. I don't know if the teams release the no show totals. I didn't look for them but it takes no effort to look around the stadium and see that people are missing.

Here’s a quick sample of stories about the stadiums not packing in last year.

https://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/ 

Empty stadiums are a huge deal to the NFL. Yes, the league makes its money off of TV contracts, but when fans aren’t at games it has a detrimental impact on the product. It sends the message that games are boring, uninteresting and that people don’t want to have anything to do with them in person. That kind of message hurts the product as a whole.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/cowboys-redskins-attendance-empty-seats-nfl-dallas-att-stadium-thursday-night-football 

That being said, Thursday’s game between the Redskins and Cowboys in Arlington kicked off in front of a mostly empty stadium. Reporters at the game certainly took notice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP7IYJWU8AAdBaD.jpg 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-ravens-tickets-20171130-story.html 

It seems paradoxical: The Ravens, who have sold out every home game since they arrived in Baltimore in 1996, are advertising tickets for Sunday’s contest at M&T Bank Stadium.
But this is where the Ravens find themselves in 2017: Contemplating the prospect of empty seats, and appealing to fans to “Win Together. Purchase your tickets today!” even as the team is contending for what would be its first playoff berth since 2014.
Thousands of fans are trying to resell their tickets to the sold-out game Sunday against the Detroit Lions at 71,000-seat M&T Bank Stadium via Ticketmaster, the team’s official resale outlet, or StubHub. Seats were available this week in almost every section; an $80 ticket for an upper end zone seat could be had for as little as $29.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21846807/baltimore-ravens-send-letter-fans-noticeable-no-shows-home-games 

The letter, which was signed by team president Dick Cass, mentions that there have been empty seats in the past when the Ravens have struggled on the field. But this year is different, with Baltimore in the midst of a playoff race.
"The numbers [of no-shows] are higher, and it is noticeable," Cass wrote in the 656-word letter. "There are a number of reasons for the no-shows, but surely the one-time protest in London has been a factor."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/06/no-one-went-to-cardinals-49ers-game/ 

The official NFL.com Gamebook lists the “paid attendance” as 70,133. But the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets used are two very different things. There’s no was 70,133 people spun the turnstiles on Sunday.

On one hand, it doesn’t matter, because the tickets were purchased. On the other hand, having people not show up means that there are far fewer people to buy the overpriced food, drinks, and merchandise, which cuts deeply in to the profit margin.

Eventually, the profit margin will take an even bigger hit, because the people who are buying tickets and not coming to games eventually will realize that, if they’re not going to come to the games, they should simply not buy tickets.

UserPostedImage
isocleas2
5 years ago

Let’s actually “call out” the people that are protesting.
As I have said many times, why do black lives only matter if a white cop is involved, when literally dozens of black people are murdered by other black people every week across this nation. Why arn’t the players protesting THAT injustice?
That is why I think the protest is senseless.
If someone has the balls to confront that fact, then the protesting would actually have meaning.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I'm your huckleberry.

The "fact" you're speaking of is a common talking point in conservative circles but its not really all that factual.

https://newsone.com/3797038/black-on-black-crime-argument-black-lives-matter/ 

“A report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics found that most violence occurs between victims and offenders of the same race, regardless of race. The rate of both Black-on-Black and white-on-white nonfatal violence declined 79 percent between 1993 and 2015. The number of homicides involving both a Black victim and Black perpetrator fell from 7,361 in 1991 to 2,570 in 2016.” Therefore, when a conservative brings up Black-on-Black crime, tell them to examine white-on-white crime. The issue isn’t the crime, it’s who is selectively punished.

beast
5 years ago

Call him out for imprecision in choice of language if you like, but I think it's clear that what Alan is trying to say is that the president lacks statutory authority to command changes to NFL policy, and that is undeniably correct.

But to quote him,

Nope. I didn’t say that at all. Why are you TRYING to say I said something I didn’t say???

He literally asked to be judged on what he said, not on what he was trying to say, I did that... I thought I made his error quite clear, and he not only doubled down but said untruths about what I was claiming.

As I'm sure you understand, lacking statutory authority and lacking power are not the same, and in some cases not close to being the same and the phrase stated was "no power".

Sure, the president has a platform from which to mold public perception and opinion, but no one is forced to think how the president thinks or act on his suggestions.

As isocleas2 said, you undersold that, I say undersold the hell out it. You're right that no one is forced to think or act on his suggestions, but I think you also smart enough to realize that a whole hell of a lot of people are, weather they're forced to or not... the fact that people are listening and following him, (especially willingly/manipulatly) is part of ones power, and Trump has used that power better than any other President in recent times.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
AGAIN...Trump is Prez, which might give him more influence, but he can not force anybody to do what he feels is right unless it’s against the rules! (Unlike Obama, who pushed through his so called “affordable health care act” , which isn’t affordable to the poor, and was against the rules to force on the country).
Now, I guess I must be watching the wrong TV news (and no, I’m not watching Fox News) because the local Milwaukee news has blacks shooting and killing all the time. Rarely do I see whites doing it.
So, even if what you are saying is true ( which I question) the fact is, there are hundreds of blacks killed by other blacks every year in this country. Which still makes what I said 100% TRUE! Where is the outrage and protest on THAT fact? Why arn’t The NFL players protesting against black on black crime? Calling out the real criminals?
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

(Unlike Obama, who pushed through his so called “affordable health care act” , which isn’t affordable to the poor, and was against the rules to force on the country).

And here I thought we were supposed stay on subject... and leave biased politics out of it. I guess you can't help yourself...

AGAIN...Trump is Prez, which might give him more influence,

And influence is power, which was the subject... so clearly the man does have some power... and it was completely nonsensical to suggest that the most powerful man in the world has no power.

but he can not force anybody to do what he feels is right unless it’s against the rules!

You clearly don't know very much about business, you can force someone's hand without having direct power over them. It's part of what some might call, the art of the deal.

Put enough pressure on someone and you can get them to do things they would rather not.

Didn't the concussion doctor force the NFL's hands and forced them to recognize concussion injuies even though the NFL didn't want to?

Didn't the media force the NFL to recognize the Spygate and Ray Rice incidence, which the NFL tried to sweep under the rug and ingore.

The President has just as much or more power as these guys, that have already done which you're falsely claiming can not be done.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Wow Beast. You are REALLY reaching now. Bringing up concussion doctors and trying to equate that to a protest?
Yeah..., sitting to protest is exactly the same as TRYING TO PROTECT PLAYERS FROM PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE.
It’s amazing how hard you will try to “prove” your attempted point.
And it’s not “political” that you are (like the lame NFL) trying to put blame on Trump?
Come on...,at least be honest. You hate Trump and will do ANYTHING to vilify him.
Put “blame” for what the NFL does where it belongs, on the NFL owners.

And really, what blame is there? Is it wrong for a business to make its employees not protest on company time? NOPE!
The only negative is their lame attempt to push blame for it on the president.
Why can’t they be MEN and admit it was what THEY wanted and chose to do? I have the answer....they are spineless wimps that want to deflect any criticism they might get for their actions.
Do you disagree with THAT?
I have written over and over about it, and you just ramble on how Trump supposedly forced their hand because of some power that he really doesn’t have.
And it seems most Americans agree with me about the whole protest in the first place.
Again you ignored the whole black on black murdering that goes on every day in this nation, and just keep trying to back up your claim of how wrong I am.
Am I wrong to ask the “black lives matter” movement to do something about the daily murders of black people by black people if they want to be taken seriously?
I think all murder is horrible, no matter what a person’s skin color is.
THAT is something that should be addressed. Or am I wrong on these points too???
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Wow Beast. You are REALLY reaching now. Bringing up concussion doctors and trying to equate that to a protest?

You're lying again! No where did I try to equate the concussion doctors to any protest. Can't you stay on the fucking subject?

The subject brought up is the power to force the NFL to do something that they didn't want to do... and I brought up how people (without direct power) have forced the NFL to do things that they didn't want to do. You can't argue, so you're making shit up!

And it’s not “political” that you are (like the lame NFL) trying to put blame on Trump?
Come on...,at least be honest. You hate Trump and will do ANYTHING to vilify him.

More fucking lies, I have not once blamed... you continue to lie about it.

Trump himself has taken credit for this... that's not vilifying... you've got your head stuck up your ass, assuming it's a bad thing... Trump himself see it has a good thing. You're the one disagreeing with Trump not me.

You're logic is quite literally horrible! I'm agreeing with Trump... and disagreeing with you... so some how I'm hating and vilifying Trump for agreeing with him? That makes no sense.... pull your head out of your ass.

And really, what blame is there? Is it wrong for a business to make its employees not protest on company time? NOPE!
The only negative is their lame attempt to push blame for it on the president.

The President says this is a good thing! ... do you disagree? Only if you disagree is there any blame in this, otherwise it's positive credit, which the President is taking.

Again you ignored the whole black on black murdering that goes on every day in this nation, ... Am I wrong to ask the “black lives matter” movement to do something about the daily murders of black people by black people if they want to be taken seriously?

1) Because that's not the fucking issue that this post addresses and we're suppose to stay on subject...

2) Talking politics in these areas are supposedly against the rules.

3) You can't seem to handle a basic disagreement on a simple subject... as you make up crap statements about things I've never said. How the hell would you then handle a more complex subject well?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
I’ve noticed that when people can’t win an argument, they often times curse and name call.
I’m not going to say any more about this.
I believe I have made my point, several times over.
You can believe whatever you want.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.