beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The Marcedes Lewis signing was tremendous.
But not just because the 6-foot-6, 267-pound road grader is an excellent blocker.
It’s because he now gives the Packers options — plenty of options.
One of the biggest question marks on offense is who will fill the No. 3 receiving void? Will it be the inconsistent Geronimo Allison, unproven Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey or Michael Clark? Or will it be one of the three rookies?

Now head coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin don’t have to worry about that question as much because Jimmy Graham can be the Packers’ No. 3 receiver.
Think about it. Graham has been a pseudo receiver his entire career anyway, might as well go with it and let it happen.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Pretty good article, and it's correct that the Lewis signing certainly gives the Packers more options and we could be seeing a lot more 2 WRs, 2 TEs sets, which can give a lot more options and Graham can certainly work as a possession WR.

Packers have a lot of options if they can get everyone to stay healthy.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Is Cobb supposed to be #2?

Not sure he can do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
This monster receiving corps opens up so many intriguing possibilities. We might see the emergence of a old-fashioned deep-ball style of offense. Assuming his arm strength returns intact, he isn't running for his life on every other play, and his receivers don't suddenly develop a mysterious case of the dropsies, I could see Aaron Rodgers possibly breaking 10 yards per attempt this year, a feat he has never managed to accomplish. The closest he's ever gotten was 2011, when he averaged 9.2 ypa to lead the league. Can you imagine how much fun this would be to watch, even if it meant his interception numbers ticked up a bit?

To give you an idea of just how earthshaking this would be, only three quarterbacks have ever managed to break 10 yards per attempt for an entire season, and no one has accomplished that feat since 1954, when Norm Van Brocklin finished with 10.1 ypa. Otto Graham achieved these lofty heights not once, but twice in his career—in 1947 (10.2 ypa) and 1953 (10.6 ypa).* Sid Luckman, the all-time single-season leader, achieved an almost unfathomable 10.9 ypa in 1943.

The closest anyone has come to this kind of performance in the past 20 years was Kurt Warner in 2000, who averaged an exceptional 9.9 ypa. Matt Ryan (2016) is tied with Otto Graham (1953) and Johnny Unitas (1964) for 13th best all time at 9.3 ypa, while Aaron Rodgers is ranked 16th for his 2011 season.

It's worth pointing out that there are only 13 quarterbacks represented in the top 16, since Otto Graham dominated the league for years in a fashion no quarterback before or since has ever been able to dream of doing.

• beast
5 years ago

Assuming his arm strength returns intact, he isn't running for his life on every other play, and his receivers don't suddenly develop a mysterious case of the dropsies

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I also have concerns with the OL, though the TE Lewis signing does potentially help those as well, and as Nerd pointed out ... it's be interesting who (if anyone) steps up for the #2 spot.

But while the Packers might miss out on the top end guys, it might be their depth where their 3rd/4th guys can beat the other teams 3rd/4th guys that make it all work.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Agreed. This offense has all the tools it could possibly need this season, if only the offensive line can pull its weight.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm putting so much emphasis on yards per passing attempt, it's because that statistic is extremely well correlated with wins. It's been a few years since I ran the analysis, but other than possibly passer rating differential, there aren't many statistics more closely correlated with win percentage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Interestingly, Brett Favre only had one season in the 268 all-time best performances, averaging 7.9 ypa in 2009. Considering how often he threw the deep bomb, I would have expected him to have a few seasons averaging higher than 8 ypa. Apparently all the interceptions he threw drastically brought down his average.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Aaron needs to hit the open guy.

We’ve got some big, fast guys in the pipeline if he wants to get some YAC. But he’s not gettig any younger. Sitting in the pocket for 8+ is not conducive to a long NFL career.

That’s Brady’s REAL secret.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I can't resist pointing out that Otto Graham played in a pro football championship in 10 consecutive seasons, winning seven of them (four with the AAFC). No team since has managed to equal the Browns' feat of appearing in six consecutive NFL championship games, of which they won three. Graham's career passer rating (86.6) was the highest of what has been called the "pre-Live Ball Era"; no one has ever come close to touching his 9.0 ypa (!!!) career average, and even his 8.63 ypa NFL career average remains a league record. Only Sid Luckman (8.4 ypa) really comes close.

Now, of course, Bart Starr did accomplish the awesome feat of winning three NFL championships in a row, a record that stands to this day, not to mention five NFL championships overall, a string of success only Tom Brady has equaled. He lead the league in passer rating five times, an achievement only exceeded by Steve Young (six), and notched a season passing average over 8.2 ypa six times, a mark no quarterback in the league today has ever approached. And if I'm not mistaken, he still holds the NFL record for highest postseason passer rating at 104.8, with an unearthly low interception rate of just 1.41 percent.

I get that the degree of physicality in the league today is orders of magnitude beyond what it was back then, but still, these men were gods.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
5 years ago

Aaron needs to hit the open guy.

We’ve got some big, fast guys in the pipeline if he wants to get some YAC. But he’s not gettig any younger. Sitting in the pocket for 8+ is not conducive to a long NFL career.

That’s Brady’s REAL secret.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

If there is an open guy, then you're right sometimes he needs to hit them earlier against some of the top defenses, but at the same point, he's done a great job in his career of holding it longer and making an even bigger play.

I don't think Brady's real secret is that simply... I think a lot of it has to do with the system and how the Patriots demand their timing to be perfect, as well as teach their cuts, so they could then leave in multiple directions, so a defender doesn't know where they're going after that point.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
So Jimmy Graham is a wr?

The only problem with that is The Packers ask their Wr's to block for each other.

Something Graham has no idea how to do.

I think I'll quit trying to figure things out in May and enjoy The Summer before all the over analysis begins.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (3h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (8h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (15h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (15h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (16h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (19h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.