beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The Marcedes Lewis signing was tremendous.
But not just because the 6-foot-6, 267-pound road grader is an excellent blocker.
It’s because he now gives the Packers options — plenty of options.
One of the biggest question marks on offense is who will fill the No. 3 receiving void? Will it be the inconsistent Geronimo Allison, unproven Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey or Michael Clark? Or will it be one of the three rookies?

Now head coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin don’t have to worry about that question as much because Jimmy Graham can be the Packers’ No. 3 receiver.
Think about it. Graham has been a pseudo receiver his entire career anyway, might as well go with it and let it happen.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Pretty good article, and it's correct that the Lewis signing certainly gives the Packers more options and we could be seeing a lot more 2 WRs, 2 TEs sets, which can give a lot more options and Graham can certainly work as a possession WR.

Packers have a lot of options if they can get everyone to stay healthy.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Is Cobb supposed to be #2?

Not sure he can do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
This monster receiving corps opens up so many intriguing possibilities. We might see the emergence of a old-fashioned deep-ball style of offense. Assuming his arm strength returns intact, he isn't running for his life on every other play, and his receivers don't suddenly develop a mysterious case of the dropsies, I could see Aaron Rodgers possibly breaking 10 yards per attempt this year, a feat he has never managed to accomplish. The closest he's ever gotten was 2011, when he averaged 9.2 ypa to lead the league. Can you imagine how much fun this would be to watch, even if it meant his interception numbers ticked up a bit?

To give you an idea of just how earthshaking this would be, only three quarterbacks have ever managed to break 10 yards per attempt for an entire season, and no one has accomplished that feat since 1954, when Norm Van Brocklin finished with 10.1 ypa. Otto Graham achieved these lofty heights not once, but twice in his career—in 1947 (10.2 ypa) and 1953 (10.6 ypa).* Sid Luckman, the all-time single-season leader, achieved an almost unfathomable 10.9 ypa in 1943.

The closest anyone has come to this kind of performance in the past 20 years was Kurt Warner in 2000, who averaged an exceptional 9.9 ypa. Matt Ryan (2016) is tied with Otto Graham (1953) and Johnny Unitas (1964) for 13th best all time at 9.3 ypa, while Aaron Rodgers is ranked 16th for his 2011 season.

It's worth pointing out that there are only 13 quarterbacks represented in the top 16, since Otto Graham dominated the league for years in a fashion no quarterback before or since has ever been able to dream of doing.

• beast
5 years ago

Assuming his arm strength returns intact, he isn't running for his life on every other play, and his receivers don't suddenly develop a mysterious case of the dropsies

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I also have concerns with the OL, though the TE Lewis signing does potentially help those as well, and as Nerd pointed out ... it's be interesting who (if anyone) steps up for the #2 spot.

But while the Packers might miss out on the top end guys, it might be their depth where their 3rd/4th guys can beat the other teams 3rd/4th guys that make it all work.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Agreed. This offense has all the tools it could possibly need this season, if only the offensive line can pull its weight.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm putting so much emphasis on yards per passing attempt, it's because that statistic is extremely well correlated with wins. It's been a few years since I ran the analysis, but other than possibly passer rating differential, there aren't many statistics more closely correlated with win percentage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Interestingly, Brett Favre only had one season in the 268 all-time best performances, averaging 7.9 ypa in 2009. Considering how often he threw the deep bomb, I would have expected him to have a few seasons averaging higher than 8 ypa. Apparently all the interceptions he threw drastically brought down his average.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Aaron needs to hit the open guy.

We’ve got some big, fast guys in the pipeline if he wants to get some YAC. But he’s not gettig any younger. Sitting in the pocket for 8+ is not conducive to a long NFL career.

That’s Brady’s REAL secret.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I can't resist pointing out that Otto Graham played in a pro football championship in 10 consecutive seasons, winning seven of them (four with the AAFC). No team since has managed to equal the Browns' feat of appearing in six consecutive NFL championship games, of which they won three. Graham's career passer rating (86.6) was the highest of what has been called the "pre-Live Ball Era"; no one has ever come close to touching his 9.0 ypa (!!!) career average, and even his 8.63 ypa NFL career average remains a league record. Only Sid Luckman (8.4 ypa) really comes close.

Now, of course, Bart Starr did accomplish the awesome feat of winning three NFL championships in a row, a record that stands to this day, not to mention five NFL championships overall, a string of success only Tom Brady has equaled. He lead the league in passer rating five times, an achievement only exceeded by Steve Young (six), and notched a season passing average over 8.2 ypa six times, a mark no quarterback in the league today has ever approached. And if I'm not mistaken, he still holds the NFL record for highest postseason passer rating at 104.8, with an unearthly low interception rate of just 1.41 percent.

I get that the degree of physicality in the league today is orders of magnitude beyond what it was back then, but still, these men were gods.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
5 years ago

Aaron needs to hit the open guy.

We’ve got some big, fast guys in the pipeline if he wants to get some YAC. But he’s not gettig any younger. Sitting in the pocket for 8+ is not conducive to a long NFL career.

That’s Brady’s REAL secret.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

If there is an open guy, then you're right sometimes he needs to hit them earlier against some of the top defenses, but at the same point, he's done a great job in his career of holding it longer and making an even bigger play.

I don't think Brady's real secret is that simply... I think a lot of it has to do with the system and how the Patriots demand their timing to be perfect, as well as teach their cuts, so they could then leave in multiple directions, so a defender doesn't know where they're going after that point.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
So Jimmy Graham is a wr?

The only problem with that is The Packers ask their Wr's to block for each other.

Something Graham has no idea how to do.

I think I'll quit trying to figure things out in May and enjoy The Summer before all the over analysis begins.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.