Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:56:00 AM(UTC)
Reading Aaron Rodgers comments on the secondary, does that make you feel more confident going into the season?

Michael David Smith said:
The Packers prioritized the cornerback position in this year’s draft, taking Jaire Alexander in the first round and Josh Jackson in the second. Aaron Rodgers thinks that was wise.

“They’re talented guys,” Rodgers said after practicing against them in Organized Team Activities. “They’re different players. Obviously, Jaire is extremely athletic, and Josh is more of kind of an instincts guy, but they’re talented guys. Corner is going to be a really interesting position. I think that position went from a need to a strength.”

Rodgers said that “I told them I’m coming after them,” in practice, and they responded the way he’d want to see competitors respond.

“They’re talking a lot,” Rodgers said, “so I’m going to have to dice them up once we get down to it. No, I like to see the confidence, I really do. That’s how you want your corners to play, with that swagger, that confidence. [Alexander] is a little louder than [Jackson] is, but it’s fun to look on the other side of the ball and see those guys making plays.” [more]

Continue Reading @ Michael David Smith
wpr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:17:29 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Reading Aaron Rodgers comments on the secondary, does that make you feel more confident going into the season?

not particularly. I would be more concerned if he said they really stink.

It's the job of the team leader (Grizzled Veteran) to instill confidence in the younger players especially rookies by giving them praise. It doesn't have to be unbelievable and over the top. Stupid stuff the what McCarthy does when he tells the press this is the best team/depth he has every had when clearly is is quite average/mediocre.
Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:51:16 AM(UTC)
I agree with you, WPR. Mike McCarthy seems to talk up his guys, which would be ok if it were true. But hollow praise does nothing if the players can’t back it up on the field.
I understand that he’s trying to give them some confidence. But sometimes I’d like to see him just be truthful and call a spade a spade. Make the guys EARN the praise.
sschind  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:23:50 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel said: Go to Quoted Post

More confident than I did before he made the comments? Not at all. I wouldn't expect the leader of the team to say we just drafted a bunch of guys.

nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:18:20 AM(UTC)
People were pissed, because Goot didn’t take an OLB, but it turns out, Pettine values the INSIDE rush moreso than the outsode, or so I heard somewhere recently. Signing Mo Wilkerson might make more sense from that standpoint.
Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:24:51 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
People were pissed, because Goot didn’t take an OLB, but it turns out, Pettine values the INSIDE rush moreso than the outsode, or so I heard somewhere recently. Signing Mo Wilkerson might make more sense from that standpoint.

Mike Pettine believes you get your rush from up the middle. Shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

I would be curious. Who were his interior guys when he had those good defenses and who were the OLB? And what did those OLB do after Pettine left or they left? In other words, did his system make them better?
gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:28:08 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Mike Pettine believes you get your rush from up the middle. Shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

I would be curious. Who were his interior guys when he had those good defenses and who were the OLB? And what did those OLB do after Pettine left or they left? In other words, did his system make them better?

Someone do this
isocleas2  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 8:19:41 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree with you, WPR. Mike McCarthy seems to talk up his guys, which would be ok if it were true. But hollow praise does nothing if the players can’t back it up on the field.
I understand that he’s trying to give them some confidence. But sometimes I’d like to see him just be truthful and call a spade a spade. Make the guys EARN the praise.

I've always felt good leaders offer praise publicly and criticism privately. McCarthy has his faults but the way be protects his players isn't one of them imo.
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 4:49:46 AM(UTC)
isocleas2 said: Go to Quoted Post
I've always felt good leaders offer praise publicly and criticism privately. McCarthy has his faults but the way be protects his players isn't one of them imo.

Mike publicly called out Demarious after this past season. But I think for the most part part you are right. When Mike calls a player out, it’s to make a point.
TheKanataThrilla  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 6:27:39 AM(UTC)
Mike publicly called out Demarious after this past season. But I think for the most part part you are right. When Mike calls a player out, it’s to make a point.

I think Mike was in a pretty bad situation with Demarious. If guys in the locker room wanted him gone it left Mike no choice or risk losing the guys.

Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 6:35:49 AM(UTC)

I didn't see it that way, not even remotely close. In fact, I think Coach did what Randall had requested. It was Damarious Randall who urged coaches to hold players more accountable for mistakes.

And this is what McCarthy followed up with.
Quote:
“You’re talking about words of frustration,” McCarthy said. “I’ll tell you what I told Damarious. He needs to focus on himself. He’s got to clean his own house. That’s what I look for him to do in the offseason. He did a lot of really good things.

"We all understand what happened in the Chicago game (when Randall pouted after being beaten for a touchdown and was sent to the locker room), but I thought from the Chicago game on he played at a very high level. He probably played his best football of his career, but then he didn’t play the last two games.”

McCarthy didn't call him out, wasn't even close to calling him out. He was being a leader. That's part of what leaders do. You set the tone.
Bigbyfan  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 3:44:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

In New York, he had Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. In Buffalo, he had Kyle Williams and Marcel Darius. All of them have made Pro Bowls in their careers.
buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 7:52:42 AM(UTC)
In Green Bay he has Daniels, Clark and Wilkerson.

Kenny Clark was just a baby his rookie year.
Last year he grew up a little.
He'll Kenny just turned 21!
He's still growing, and in a good way!
This year will be dominant for him.

We all know Mike is a beast.

Wilkerson just needs to get back to the guy he was when he played for Pettine before and The Packers will match up well against any O-line in the league.
blueleopard  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 3:48:50 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
In New York, he had Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. In Buffalo, he had Kyle Williams and Marcel Darius. All of them have made Pro Bowls in their careers.

At inside linebacker in 2010 he also had Bart Scott and David Harris, both of whom were awesome. At CB he had Cromartie and Revis Island. Paul Posluszny at ILB in Buffalo. Karlos Dansby and Christian Kirksey at ILB in Cleveland.

So he's coached a bunch of good guys.
Rss Feed