Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I can't disagree too much with this, but that said, I think he's a really good coach, I wouldn't have been upset if they made a change after 2014.

Mike McCarthy had a season to forget in 2017. However, the Green Bay Packers head coach has had more success than failures since being hired in 2006 and he's one of the few current head coaches who has won a Super Bowl. So where does he rank among all the head coaches in the NFL? Bill Bender of Sporting News ranked all 32 head coaches and McCarthy came in at No. 5. Here's what Bender had to say about McCarthy.

McCarthy's foundation was tested after a 7-9 season that broke a string of eight straight playoff appearances, but that was needed. Green Bay switched both coordinators in the offseason, and the goal is to get Aaron Rodgers enough help to get back to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2010. McCarthy is responsible for making that happen again, and those adjustments will be watched with more scrutiny this year.

The majority of Packers fans would say Vince Lombardi is the greatest Packers coach in franchise history. In fact, many would say Lombardi is the greatest coach in NFL history. And while that might be true, there is no denying what McCarthy has done in his 12-year career with the Packers. In the regular season, McCarthy has posted a 121-70-1 record. He has the second-most regular season wins in team history, only behind Curly Lambeau who has 209. McCarthy also has a postseason record of 10-8. His playoff wins are the most in team history, surpassing Lombardi who had a 9-1 record. Out of the 14 head coaches in Packers history, McCarthy is one of five head coaches who have winning records with other four being Lambeau, Lombardi, Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman.

Continue Reading @ 247Sports 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
He needs to prove his teams can be consistent. He needs to get HFA and PROVE that he can win without the WHEELS COMING OFF and barely squeaking into the playoffs.

That's some Marty Schottenheimer bullshit. Otherwise good luck in Cleveland, Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
5 years ago

I can't disagree too much with this, but that said, I think he's a really good coach, I wouldn't have been upset if they made a change after 2014.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Let me start out by saying I think he's an above average coach, but I think he looks better than he really is because he happened to have the best QB in the NFL.

I think McCarthy's teams have under-performed with Rodgers. I think it's a harsh reflection on McCarthy that 10 years into Rodgers that we have only one SB appearance. Opportunities squandered (2011 & 2014).

I credit McCarthy for getting us up 19-7 against Seattle in a game that almost no-one expected us to win. He called a masterful 3 quarters, and then inexplicably went into run-out-the-clock mode with a not-large-enough lead and too much time on the clock. This wasn't an abberation, this had happened more than once and this time it just happened to bite us in the NFC Championship game and cost us a SB appearance.

I haven't liked his trends on offense, moving to an extremely heavily weighted shotgun formation attack from a mix of under center and shotgun. (First TD in SB XLV was an under-center, play-action fake to Starks, hitting Jordy Nelson deep down the right side.)

Too many isolation routes, relying on the receivers to beat their man 1-on-1. Abandoning the screen pass and the run game from under-center.

The inexplicable refusal to terminate a defensive coordinator who year after year delivered an under-performing, bottom-dwelling defense.

Capers is gone, so there's a start.

After 2014, I've just been counting the days until McCarthy is replaced. He's already squandered at least two other SB appearances, and his 10-8 post-season record is a losing record outside of 2010.
UserPostedImage
5 years ago
5th? without #12, he's just another coach. What did he do when Rodgers went down both times? Hundley may end up being cut and never play with another team again. Mike McCarthy should have been fired right after the Seattle NFCCG.

He's overrated!!!
isocleas2
5 years ago
I think most Packer fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to McCarthy. He's fielded one of the youngest rosters year after year with a dwindling talent pool (happens when you pick towards the end of the round 8 years straight). He has his warts but imo they're minor especially compared to 95% of other coaches.

Without McCarthy the same fans would just turn on the next coach after a couple years, while McCarthy would have his pick of HC offers.
dyeah_gb
5 years ago

5th? without #12, he's just another coach. What did he do when Rodgers went down both times? Hundley may end up being cut and never play with another team again. Mike McCarthy should have been fired right after the Seattle NFCCG.

He's overrated!!!

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

Mike McCarthy has made his mistakes. I think there is an argument for justifying firing Mike McCarthy after the NFCCG against the Seahawks.

I also think that Aaron Rodgers has Mike McCarthy to thank for being the elite QB he is today. I think Mike McCarthy is one of the greatest offensive minds in the league and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about the losing streak last year. If anything I think Mike McCarthy outsmarts himself before the other D does sometimes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Mike's a decent HC. There are certainly more poor HCs out there. He lucked out by getting to have Rodgers as QB for the vast majority of his career in GB.

As far using a young team as an excuse. It's just that, an excuse. He had input into the makeup of every roster.

I simply hate using the number of wins as a barometer of greatness. Curly and Vince didn't play 16 game schedules. They didn't have the playoff set up that there is today. Mike has more wins because he has had more opportunities. Look at winning percentage. He comes in a respectable 4th behind Lombardi, Holmgren and Lambeau.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
5 years ago

I think most Packer fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to McCarthy. He's fielded one of the youngest rosters year after year with a dwindling talent pool (happens when you pick towards the end of the round 8 years straight). He has his warts but imo they're minor especially compared to 95% of other coaches.

Without McCarthy the same fans would just turn on the next coach after a couple years, while McCarthy would have his pick of HC offers.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Haven't the Patriots picked about the same for the past 17 years?
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
isocleas2
5 years ago

Haven't the Patriots picked about the same for the past 17 years?

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

There is only one Belichick, comparing the Packers to the Patriots dynasty is unrealistic. If that model was so easy to replicate another team would have done it by now.
isocleas2
5 years ago

Mike's a decent HC. There are certainly more poor HCs out there. He lucked out by getting to have Rodgers as QB for the vast majority of his career in GB.

As far using a young team as an excuse. It's just that, an excuse. He had input into the makeup of every roster.

I simply hate using the number of wins as a barometer of greatness. Curly and Vince didn't play 16 game schedules. They didn't have the playoff set up that there is today. Mike has more wins because he has had more opportunities. Look at winning percentage. He comes in a respectable 4th behind Lombardi, Holmgren and Lambeau.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

McCarthy has lucked out having Rodgers, but he's not the first coach to ride a franchise qb. Atleast he can make the argument he helped create him instead of just inheriting a great player.

You're right that he does have some input on which players to keep on the 53, but he had zero influence on who was brought in to compete for the 53. He asked/begged in the media a few times for veteran help and who knows how often he asked privately. Picking which rookie/journeyman to keep over another doesn't change much.

Lastly I hate comparing coaches/players from different eras. Comparing McCarthy and Holmgren makes sense but I'd argue you should compare their career #'s instead of just Holmgren's time in Green Bay. McCarthy has been here now almost twice as long as Holmgren who left at an opportune time. He got the best years out of Favre and then left before the team needed a rebuild/reload.

It's like in poker, Doyle Brunson won back to back championships in 1976 + 77, which has never been done before or since. He wrote the poker bible and has legendary status similar to Lombardi and Lambeau. However when he won his championships it was a different league, only 20 people competed for the championship in 1976 and only 32 in 1977. For comparison's sake in 2017 there were over 7,000 entrants. Comparing McCarthy to Lombardi who when he won his first two championships there were only 14 teams in the league and you had to win exactly one playoff game...its not even close to the same as it is today.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.