wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Number 24? You have to be kidding me. 
ESPN ranked the NFL backfields  and the Packers checked in at No. 24. For those wondering, there are only 32 teams in the NFL.
Now, you can look at the Packers’ quarterback and automatically think that the running back position will be overlooked because they have the best passer in the game. While Aaron Rodgers is the best passer, and arguably best player in the game right now, the running game has evolved into more than just an afterthought.
Even with Aaron Jones getting suspended for a couple games to start off the season, Green Bay is going to going to surprise people in the backfield. And from the looks of this flimsy ranking, it looks like the Packers have more people to surprise.
The only question mark is the right side of the offensive line. If Bryan Bulaga starts out the season on the PUP list, can Kyle Murphy hold down that right tackle spot?
Other than that, Jamaal Williams and Jones proved that they can carry the load. And both even worked well off each other. The added element is Ty Montgomery. His role has been under lock and key. I’m guessing he will be a third down back and also operate out of the slot, which is a huge advantage for Rodgers.
There’s no way the Packers have the No. 24 backfield in the NFL. That’s just absurd. There are plenty of holes on this team. Wide receiver depth, edge rusher consistency and secondary tackling are three main things that come to mind.
But running back reliance isn’t one of them. As long as coach Mike McCarthy and Rodgers consistently feed those guys the ball, they will do just fine.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

I get it that this is the off season and there isn't a lot to write about. I realize Cory's not an officially sanctioned journalist. We still need to factor in the horrible QB situation. But he really doesn't have a lot of beef about. There is nothing in the GB backfield's performance last year that makes them deserve very much respect.

Williams was #35 in yards at 556
Jones #42 448
Monty #71 273

Ok they were all hurt last year. Let's look at their yards per game.
Jones 37.3 #44
Williams 34.8 #50
Monty 34.1 #51

Yes some of that was playing while injured I get that. Nevertheless none of their stats from last year scream out that they merit more attention than ESPN is giving them. To top it off Cory correctly points out that the whole right side of the OL is suspect. It is only prudent to take a wait and see attitude before assigning GB a lofty status as a RB team.

With so many questions to be answered I am not sure what position ESPN should have placed GB. 20th maybe? The bump is hardly worth getting too worked up about.

But hey, it is the off season and there isn't a whole lot to talk about so why not.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago
I think it's safe to say GB's backfield is an unknown going into 2018. However, while individual stats are not impressive, looking at team stats from 2017 it's more encouraging:

TDs: 11th
Average: tied for 3rd
Total yards: 17th

If (and this is a big if) the Packer's RBs stay healthy, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they could be an average (~16th overall) or even above average rushing team. With Rodgers and the passing game, that could make for a very effective offense.
blank
nerdmann
5 years ago
These guys were rookies. They didn’t get the call until probly around mid season. Can we prorate the stats and extrapolate outward for 16 games? What are their per carry averages?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago

I think it's safe to say GB's backfield is an unknown going into 2018. However, while individual stats are not impressive, looking at team stats from 2017 it's more encouraging:

TDs: 11th
Average: tied for 3rd
Total yards: 17th

If (and this is a big if) the Packer's RBs stay healthy, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they could be an average (~16th overall) or even above average rushing team. With Rodgers and the passing game, that could make for a very effective offense.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I'm not saying they are terrible. They and the OL are an unknown. That's why I am not going to be upset that an article rates them so low at this time of the year.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago

These guys were rookies. They didn’t get the call until probly around mid season. Can we prorate the stats and extrapolate outward for 16 games? What are their per carry averages?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Don't give me that line. There are plenty of rookies who put up big numbers. Last year it was Kareem Hunt with 1327 Leonard Fournette at 1040 and even Alvin Kamara's 736 who substantially out preformed them. Ty was the effective starting RB for the first 3 games. After that Williams and Jones carried the load for almost all of the year.

FYI- There are website that are dedicated to giving you the answers to your questions. I suggest you frequent them every once in a while. Jones did have a decent 5.5 avg but if he doesn't have 500 yards for the year does it even matter? Williams 3.6 and Monty 3.8.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Don't give me that line. There are plenty of rookies who put up big numbers. Last year it was Kareem Hunt with 1327 Leonard Fournette at 1040 and even Alvin Kamara's 736 who substantially out preformed them. Ty was the effective starting RB for the first 3 games. After that Williams and Jones carried the load for almost all of the year.

FYI- There are website that are dedicated to giving you the answers to your questions. I suggest you frequent them every once in a while. Jones did have a decent 5.5 avg but if he doesn't have 500 yards for the year does it even matter? Williams 3.6 and Monty 3.8.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Bear in mind also that we were without a T for much of the early season. Not a starting T, but a T at all on the active roster.

For what it’s worth, I do like Williams. I put him on part with Ryan Grant, only with more vision, he’s not gonna run into the pile everytime without seeing a gaping hole right next to him. He runs hard, nothing particularly elite, but he gets it done.

I’ve heard Brandon Jackson is teaching them pass pro.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
5 years ago
Most teams have an established #1 I think GB is judged harshly because of their lack of a lead back. They certainly have potential though if Jones/Montgomery stay healthy they'll be atleast in the 12-18 range imo.

The injuries to the OL and Rbs last year shouldn't be understated.
wpr
  • wpr
5 years ago
*Sigh*

Do people just blindly argue the Packers are not given enough respect without thinking everything all the way through?

ISO- "Most teams have a #1 RB". Since GB doesn't at this time that more than likely pulls their ranking down.
The potential is there but if Jones/ Montgomery Stay healthy they ranking will increase. We are not even to TC yet so there is no urgency on the writer's part to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Injuries to the OL and RB can not be understated. That's a huge part of the reason why they are ranked low.

Nerd- GB had issues with RT last year. There is no proof they are not going to have the same issue this year too. And maybe RG too. Who knows. Thus a contributing factor to the ranking. By year's end they may well be 16 or so. They haven't earned that rank and ESPN isn't going to give it to them.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
I like it. Give a little more to make our guys want to prove this guy wrong.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
I'm not an insider so I can't see who is rated around them but for the reasons everyone has given I have no issue with them being ranked #24. They all looked good at times and I think we will be OK (and the overall ranking will be higher by seasons end) but I can't look at any one of them and say we are set at RB because we have him.

Some fans have to realize that their team can't be ranked in the the top 5 in everything year after year.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (27m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.