Zero2Cool
5 years ago
What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

Wide receiver Jake Kumerow, a former standout at the Division III powerhouse that is the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, is one of the most surprising stories of the Packers’ training camp so far. After two weeks and some change, he’s gone from an afterthought to suddenly contending for a spot on the team.

Kumerow joined the Packers’ practice squad in December 2017 after spending two years on the Bengals’ squad and some time with the Patriots. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a great article Tuesday  about the path Kumerow took to get to Green Bay, and the heads he’s turned since joining the team.

He’s got the prototypical body for a receiver—more than 6’4, lean and a solid vertical jump. While he lacks big-time speed, he’s certainly been able to get open. He’s performed well enough in camp that Aaron Rodgers has brought him up several times in interviews.

“I think Jake Kumerow’s had a fantastic camp,” Rodgers said on Friday, August 3. “I think you have to spotlight him. He’s made a ton of plays. Did it all spring and summer and now he’s getting reps with me and making a ton of plays. He’s running the right route all the time and making contested catches and putting the ball away. It’s been pretty impressive for a guy from a small school in Wisconsin.”

Kumerow has also drawn praise from the Packers’ cornerback Davon House, as well as the Bengals’ all-star wide receiver AJ Green. The praise constantly centers on his ability to run crisp routes and make catches in tight windows—key qualities for any NFL receiver to have, especially with a quarterback as precise as Rodgers.

Despite all the praise, though, Kumerow is going to need to be consistently solid in practice and in his preseason appearances to have a shot at making the team, even if he does have the endorsement of Rodgers. Davante Adams and Randall Cobb are locks to make the team, and it would certainly be a surprise to see Geronimo Allison get cut.

The Packers also drafted three wide receivers: J’Mon Moore, Equanimeous St. Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. All reports out of camp indicate that while each of the three has made occasional impressions so far, Kumerow has generally outplayed all of them and has been significantly more consistent. This is certainly good for Kumerow, but it takes a lot for teams to give up on a draft capital investment in a player’s rookie year. Kumerow will have very little margin for error throughout the entirety of preseason, and will likely also have to show he can be an asset for special teams to really have a shot at making the team.

But if you ask Rodgers, Kumerow is the player most ready to take the field on an NFL Sunday.
“Jake Kumerow is undrafted, and we drafted three guys,” he said in an interview last week. “If you’re playing today, you’d like him on the field.”

The Packers have had a lot of popular wide receiver underdogs in camp in recent years—Jared Abbrederis (another home-grown Wisconsin product), Max McCaffrey and the patron saint of fan-hyped wide receivers at the bottom of depth charts himself, Jeff Janis.

But it is Kumerow who has perhaps drawn the most praise from Rodgers, and if they continue to develop a connection in camp and in preseason games, that could be a deciding factor in him finally making a 53-man roster.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He's got the size for their analytics, runs a 4.5, iirc.

Between him and Yancey for that 6th WR spot. Trevor David could come on late, Valdez-Scantling could surge, but the team needs a veteran. Dude's kicked around the league for awhile.

Bigger than Abrederis, better than Bill Schroeder, smarter than Jeff Janis. Kind of a bare bones guy though, from what I've heard. Haven't seen him play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
There are so many WR ahead of him he's going to have to stand out and GB is going to have to clean house for him to make it.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
I've heard he's got some PS eligibility left.

DAVANTE
COBB
GERONIMO (???)
JMON
EQ

That's five. MAYBE four, but let's say Gmo makes the cut. Who's left? Yancey, Trevor Davis, Valdez-Scantling, who's the other guy?

I mean, I think they'll keep 6. Especially since Aaron JOnes is gonna be suspended for a couple games. Kumerow has a chance. Who knows, someone could get hurt too. (Not to jinx.) Cobb might already be damaged goods.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I haven't gotten to see him, but everyone is saying he's just plain getting open and making catches and one reporter (Tom Silverstein), said he was 2 or 3 best behind Adams (which makes me think 3 or 4 best overall).

Based on that, I do think he's got a chance, though it might be the same chance as the Packers might keep 7 WRs, as I don't think they want to get rid of the top 3 vets (Adams, Cobb and Allison), nor the three talented rookies who are said to be showing potential but having problems with the drops.

While 7 WRs is unusually, two (Cobb/Allison) are in contract years and three are rookies. Meaning someone could help out if the rookies aren't ready right away and then potentially replace one of the contract year guys if they're not resigned. Also because my current mock has 7 WRs... at least until RB Jones suspension is up... and maybe continue to be 7 WRs if I then cut the 3rd QB instead.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
5 years ago

Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode , being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
5 years ago

I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode , being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think that part of it is simple enough. It's well documented that Rodgers cannot stand half-assed effort and mental errors. He sent a memo and that's good.
The harder part is he LIKES Kumerow. If he continues to have faith in him and has more confidence in him than the other young guys some tough decisions lie ahead. After losing Jordy and with Arods obsession with requiring confidence in his receivers it will be very difficult not keep him.

"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
5 years ago
Hey, if the guy earns a spot, then he deserves it. I don’t care if he’s a first round pick or an undrafted guy.
He has more reason to fight for a spot. A “hungry” guy like that that gains ARs respect impresses me.
I hope he keeps it up!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
If one of the rookies and Jake show lots of promise, maybe they trade Randall Cobb to Raiders with a 2nd rounder for Khalil Mack 😃
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (26m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.