Zero2Cool
5 years ago
What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

Wide receiver Jake Kumerow, a former standout at the Division III powerhouse that is the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, is one of the most surprising stories of the Packers’ training camp so far. After two weeks and some change, he’s gone from an afterthought to suddenly contending for a spot on the team.

Kumerow joined the Packers’ practice squad in December 2017 after spending two years on the Bengals’ squad and some time with the Patriots. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a great article Tuesday  about the path Kumerow took to get to Green Bay, and the heads he’s turned since joining the team.

He’s got the prototypical body for a receiver—more than 6’4, lean and a solid vertical jump. While he lacks big-time speed, he’s certainly been able to get open. He’s performed well enough in camp that Aaron Rodgers has brought him up several times in interviews.

“I think Jake Kumerow’s had a fantastic camp,” Rodgers said on Friday, August 3. “I think you have to spotlight him. He’s made a ton of plays. Did it all spring and summer and now he’s getting reps with me and making a ton of plays. He’s running the right route all the time and making contested catches and putting the ball away. It’s been pretty impressive for a guy from a small school in Wisconsin.”

Kumerow has also drawn praise from the Packers’ cornerback Davon House, as well as the Bengals’ all-star wide receiver AJ Green. The praise constantly centers on his ability to run crisp routes and make catches in tight windows—key qualities for any NFL receiver to have, especially with a quarterback as precise as Rodgers.

Despite all the praise, though, Kumerow is going to need to be consistently solid in practice and in his preseason appearances to have a shot at making the team, even if he does have the endorsement of Rodgers. Davante Adams and Randall Cobb are locks to make the team, and it would certainly be a surprise to see Geronimo Allison get cut.

The Packers also drafted three wide receivers: J’Mon Moore, Equanimeous St. Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. All reports out of camp indicate that while each of the three has made occasional impressions so far, Kumerow has generally outplayed all of them and has been significantly more consistent. This is certainly good for Kumerow, but it takes a lot for teams to give up on a draft capital investment in a player’s rookie year. Kumerow will have very little margin for error throughout the entirety of preseason, and will likely also have to show he can be an asset for special teams to really have a shot at making the team.

But if you ask Rodgers, Kumerow is the player most ready to take the field on an NFL Sunday.
“Jake Kumerow is undrafted, and we drafted three guys,” he said in an interview last week. “If you’re playing today, you’d like him on the field.”

The Packers have had a lot of popular wide receiver underdogs in camp in recent years—Jared Abbrederis (another home-grown Wisconsin product), Max McCaffrey and the patron saint of fan-hyped wide receivers at the bottom of depth charts himself, Jeff Janis.

But it is Kumerow who has perhaps drawn the most praise from Rodgers, and if they continue to develop a connection in camp and in preseason games, that could be a deciding factor in him finally making a 53-man roster.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He's got the size for their analytics, runs a 4.5, iirc.

Between him and Yancey for that 6th WR spot. Trevor David could come on late, Valdez-Scantling could surge, but the team needs a veteran. Dude's kicked around the league for awhile.

Bigger than Abrederis, better than Bill Schroeder, smarter than Jeff Janis. Kind of a bare bones guy though, from what I've heard. Haven't seen him play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
There are so many WR ahead of him he's going to have to stand out and GB is going to have to clean house for him to make it.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
I've heard he's got some PS eligibility left.

DAVANTE
COBB
GERONIMO (???)
JMON
EQ

That's five. MAYBE four, but let's say Gmo makes the cut. Who's left? Yancey, Trevor Davis, Valdez-Scantling, who's the other guy?

I mean, I think they'll keep 6. Especially since Aaron JOnes is gonna be suspended for a couple games. Kumerow has a chance. Who knows, someone could get hurt too. (Not to jinx.) Cobb might already be damaged goods.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I haven't gotten to see him, but everyone is saying he's just plain getting open and making catches and one reporter (Tom Silverstein), said he was 2 or 3 best behind Adams (which makes me think 3 or 4 best overall).

Based on that, I do think he's got a chance, though it might be the same chance as the Packers might keep 7 WRs, as I don't think they want to get rid of the top 3 vets (Adams, Cobb and Allison), nor the three talented rookies who are said to be showing potential but having problems with the drops.

While 7 WRs is unusually, two (Cobb/Allison) are in contract years and three are rookies. Meaning someone could help out if the rookies aren't ready right away and then potentially replace one of the contract year guys if they're not resigned. Also because my current mock has 7 WRs... at least until RB Jones suspension is up... and maybe continue to be 7 WRs if I then cut the 3rd QB instead.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
5 years ago

Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode , being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
5 years ago

I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode , being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think that part of it is simple enough. It's well documented that Rodgers cannot stand half-assed effort and mental errors. He sent a memo and that's good.
The harder part is he LIKES Kumerow. If he continues to have faith in him and has more confidence in him than the other young guys some tough decisions lie ahead. After losing Jordy and with Arods obsession with requiring confidence in his receivers it will be very difficult not keep him.

"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
5 years ago
Hey, if the guy earns a spot, then he deserves it. I don’t care if he’s a first round pick or an undrafted guy.
He has more reason to fight for a spot. A “hungry” guy like that that gains ARs respect impresses me.
I hope he keeps it up!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
If one of the rookies and Jake show lots of promise, maybe they trade Randall Cobb to Raiders with a 2nd rounder for Khalil Mack 😃
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (2h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (8h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (15h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (15h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (15h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (18h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.