Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I'm bias here because this similar to what I've done for my girls. My oldest has issues with this because she knows "I can help", but am refusing to because I want her to learn to pick herself up after she has fallen.

What do you think about what Bill is saying here?

I don’t think that amount of money would be good for them. They have to find their own way. They will be given an unbelievable education and that will all be paid for. And certainly anything related to health issues we will take care of. But in terms of their income, they will have to pick a job they like and go to work.

Bill Gates wrote:

UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
5 years ago
Coming from a fairly wealthy family, I've been incredibly blessed to have parents who believe in seeing their children enjoy their lives as much as possible while they're still alive. My dad's been gone nearly 13 years but was able to see my brother & I enjoy the gifts they give us each year. Because of them, I am able to be a stay at home mom. I cannot even begin to express how much that means to me. I've been able to experience so much more with my twins & that is truly priceless.

I am truly grateful & thankful - I don't spend money foolishly & never will because my parents taught me to value not money but TIME!! From my high school days, if I wanted to buy some name brand jeans, they would look at me & say "is that worth 3 hours of your life?" Really put things in perspective for me. I only got 1 pair of fancy jeans during my high school years & that was with a coupon & 30% off but somehow I survived!!

The problem I have now is trying to get my twins to understand the value of a dollar/time. They don't even bother to ask their dad for a dime but have no problem expecting ME to buy them all Nike clothes & shoes. Drives me crazy!! So, I search & search online for great deals on Nike stuff & they're starting to "get it". I've found the key is saying no. They're old enough to understand that money is NOT limitless. They may get annoyed for a bit but in the end, they know I'm doing the right thing when I do say no.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Good topic Kevin. It reminds me of John Wayne in McLintock! where he is talking to his daughter and telling her she won't inherit the whole operation.

Mom and Dad made us work for what we wanted. Nevertheless they kicked in things. I had a car to use at 16-17. Bought my own at 18 but they still paid for insurance and some maintenance. We split the gas bill which means it was my responsibility but Dad had a pump at the house and I topped off from time to time. I worked for them both in their office and around the house.

I try to teach my kids the value of time (nice Julie) and money. I tried to explain how my parents grew up during the Depression and it colored their outlook on life. My wife and I grew up learning their outlook. We told the kids we are not as frugal as our parents were but we still are careful on spending money.

My son had a paper route when he was 13. I helped him on Sundays and when it was necessary. He wanted to buy a video game council and games. We wouldn't pay for it. Whenever he got a few dollars he wanted to spend it on something right now. I would ask him if he wants this thing now or to wait and save it for the big item. I said he could only spend the money once so make sure it was what he wanted.

Fast forward to today. He and his wife are doing pretty well. Listening to them they know how to watch their money.

My daughter is a little different. She has been independent for the beginning. I find myself helping her financially way more than I should. This year I helped with her divorce. I helped her move. On the advice for her best friend, whom I trust, I bought her a dog to be a companion. Almost every month I hear that she can't make ends meet. I have access to her bank account (so I can deposit checks) I see her credit card it almost all fast food purchases. She's maxed out and over due. I look at that and then tell my wife, what good does it do me to keep the money and have her dig a pit so deep she can't climb out? I won't find any satisfaction in it.

She has a Master's Degree but can't find work in her chosen field. The job she has is an entry level position that has 100 kids with Accounting degrees lined up waiting to take so there is no incentive on her employers part to give her a raise. She has applied a lot of places trying to get the better paying job without success. Until she does I end up helping me make ends meet. I can't let her drown. Even if I told her not to go swimming.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
5 years ago
I've been through a divorce. It was my choice & i STILL freak out about it from time to time. I've been happily re-married for 9 years now to a guy who "gets" me. But, my confidence was in ruins for a long time after the divorce. Sure I met this great guy but man did I put him through the paces. I had my wall up & while I showed him love, I was determined to NEVER allow myself or my children to be treated "less than". This led to & occasionally STILL leads to misunderstandings between us. My best advice for your dear daughter is to take a deep breath, be good to herself, & forgive herself if she needs to.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

I've been through a divorce. It was my choice & i STILL freak out about it from time to time. I've been happily re-married for 9 years now to a guy who "gets" me. But, my confidence was in ruins for a long time after the divorce. Sure I met this great guy but man did I put him through the paces. I had my wall up & while I showed him love, I was determined to NEVER allow myself or my children to be treated "less than". This led to & occasionally STILL leads to misunderstandings between us. My best advice for your dear daughter is to take a deep breath, be good to herself, & forgive herself if she needs to.

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

You are so wise. She is seeing a counselor who tells her that too.

Part of her problem is watching her friends and younger brother move on with their lives and she feels like she is stuck in reverse. She is a bright girl (takes after her momma.) she will figure it out one day.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
My family was middle class. We got what we needed, and the only splurge we had was 1 or 2 weeks vacation at a cottage in northern Wisconsin every summer.
I had my brother’s hand me downs most of the time. The only big gift I ever got was my first new bicycle (a five speed) at age 14.
I wasn’t spoiled, but was loved.
I only wish I could have spent more time with my Dad.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
5 years ago

You are so wise. She is seeing a counselor who tells her that too.

Part of her problem is watching her friends and younger brother move on with their lives and she feels like she is stuck in reverse. She is a bright girl (takes after her momma.) she will figure it out one day.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

She will definitely figure it out! She has to live her own path. I am the first person in my family to get divorced. I felt like a total failure to everyone - God, my family, my children, my church. I took my vows seriously & after years of verbal abuse, I could NOT allow that to be pushed on to my children. I had all the reason in the world to divorce & I STILL felt like a failure.

She seriously needs to give herself a break. If she needs someone to talk to, please let her know I'm here for her at any time. Talking to others who had been through divorces was a HUGE help to me in the early days.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Thanks Julie. I will pass your offer along. Unfortunately she has 2 aunts that are walking the same path. She is very close to the younger. Both of them are very supportive.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Illy, I can understand how you feel you failed. But how long should you put up with abuse before enough is enough?
You deserve better then that.
Sometimes it’s not In your control to make things better when the other person refuses to change to make things better.
You are a loving person. I know that first hand.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
5 years ago

Illy, I can understand how you feel you failed. But how long should you put up with abuse before enough is enough?
You deserve better then that.
Sometimes it’s not In your control to make things better when the other person refuses to change to make things better.
You are a loving person. I know that first hand.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

aww...thanks Al - i put up with it for almost 15 years - i'd say that was damn well long enough! LOL. i did it for my kids & will NEVER regret it. Cory refuses to even see his dad now & Cole sees him from time to time. Hurts my heart BUT i also understand their need to protect theirs & keep him at arm's length. They'll be 16 in September & they are great guys...so far. They know the difference between right & wrong, have some common sense, & that I'm always there for them. They also know if they get a DUI or are arrested for any reason that they will sit in jail because I will NOT enable any bad behavior. It'll be very hard but i will do it for them.

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (9h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.