Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beast  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:48:59 AM(UTC)
Just a thought I had... which would you rather trade?

Trade a 1st round and another mid-high pick for LB Khalil Mack
OR Trade a 2nd round pick pick for FS Earl Thomas

I think I might be more interested in Earl Thomas because I think he might be the best at his position in the NFL and this defensive scheme is all about being able to coverage with the minimum number, while using tricks to get favorable match-ups up front.

I believe the Seahawks were rumored to be asking for a 2nd round pick, and the Cowboys countered with a 3rd round pick and the Seahawks weren't interested (probably because they MIGHT get a 3rd round pick with comp pick, while keeping him another season).
nerdmann  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:36:13 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post

I think I might be more interested in Earl Thomas because I think he might be the best at his position in the NFL and this defensive scheme is all about being able to coverage with the minimum number, while using tricks to get favorable match-ups up front.

I believe the Seahawks were rumored to be asking for a 2nd round pick, and the Cowboys countered with a 3rd round pick and the Seahawks weren't interested (probably because they MIGHT get a 3rd round pick with comp pick, while keeping him another season).

How old is Earl Thomas. I'd be open to that.
steveishere  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:36:45 PM(UTC)

another aspect since you'd want to sign either to a few more years is top S money is about 13m where Mack no doubt is looking for Von Miller money which is 19m
beast  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:29:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
How old is Earl Thomas. I'd be open to that.

He's 29... so two years older than Mack, but I think coverage is the most important part of this scheme... and Thomas not only has played well himself but normally has help covered up for mistakes from others too.

steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
another aspect since you'd want to sign either to a few more years is top S money is about 13m where Mack no doubt is looking for Von Miller money which is 19m

Another good point, possibly saving about 6 million per year right there.

And then Haha, could play SS and maybe Jones would get more time to learn Safety (and maybe be used more at coverage LB which he seemed best at, least year).
blueleopard  
#25 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:22:31 AM(UTC)
The Saints are a good team. So are the Packers. Both those #1 picks are going to be in the 20s.

Mack was a Top 5 pick. There is no realistic way that these two picks are equal to a top 5 pick, especially someone like Mack. I would take this in a heartbeat. He's a Top 3 Pass Rusher in this league, and they're hard to find.

Yes, we have Gutekunst, but still under Thompson our first round picks never ended up being world beaters--the only real exceptions being Rodgers, Matthews, and arguably Raji.

Mack would be the way to go especially with Cobb and Matthews accounting for a big portion of gained cap money after next season. Having Mack and Matthews on the same defense for at least one season would be ideal.
stevegb  
#26 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:18:48 AM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post
The Saints are a good team. So are the Packers. Both those #1 picks are going to be in the 20s.

Mack was a Top 5 pick. There is no realistic way that these two picks are equal to a top 5 pick, especially someone like Mack. I would take this in a heartbeat. He's a Top 3 Pass Rusher in this league, and they're hard to find.

Yes, we have Gutekunst, but still under Thompson our first round picks never ended up being world beaters--the only real exceptions being Rodgers, Matthews, and arguably Raji.

Mack would be the way to go especially with Cobb and Matthews accounting for a big portion of gained cap money after next season. Having Mack and Matthews on the same defense for at least one season would be ideal.

Question is would you pay him one of the highest defensive contracts in history though, because that's why hes on the block in the first place.
wpr  
#27 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:13:17 AM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post
The Saints are a good team. So are the Packers. The Saints #1 pick will be around 29th while Green Bay's will be #32.

FIFY.

You're welcome.
beast  
#28 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:17:51 AM(UTC)
stevegb said: Go to Quoted Post
Question is would you pay him one of the highest defensive contracts in history though, because that's why hes on the block in the first place.

Would you trade two late 1st round picks (in a draft that is said to have a great DL/edge rusher draft class, for the rights to give Mack a 100 million dollar contract? And rumor is he wants the highest contract in defensive history.

Note, almost all defenders have struggled after getting 100 million...

DT Albert Haynesworth, Marcell Dareus, a boy named Suh, I believe all these guys failed to finish their 100 million contracts.

JJ Watt and Justin Houston are very talented players who have mostly struggled with injuries since getting the mega contract.

Von Miller has almost been the only successful ones and of course they have struggled to get an offense after paying the high priced defense, just like the Seahawks.
nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:17:26 AM(UTC)
stevegb said: Go to Quoted Post

I think of Mack as a down lineman, but his number is 53 or something like that isn’t it? I mean, can he stand up and cover? Could he be an edge rushing OLB?
Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:22:36 AM(UTC)
Didn't Khalil Mack make All-Pro at two different positions in the same year? DL and LB?
Cheesey  
#31 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:11:02 PM(UTC)
Man....this kind of thread is just another reason I’m not a NFL GM.
I keep going back and forth on this.

Either way, IF (and it’s a BIG if) the Packers are actually going to try to get him, it better be real soon. It would take time to get up to speed with our defense, and be able to really contribute.
More quality help on defense would be great. This is THE season to make the big push.
nerdmann  
#32 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:13:17 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Man....this kind of thread is just another reason I’m not a NFL GM.
I keep going back and forth on this.

Either way, IF (and it’s a BIG if) the Packers are actually going to try to get him, it better be real soon. It would take time to get up to speed with our defense, and be able to really contribute.
More quality help on defense would be great. This is THE season to make the big push.

It’s not a question of to do it or not, to me it’s a question of value. Is he worth what we’d have to pay? Combine at LEAST a first with, whatever we have left in the cap.

That’s why I lean against it. If Clay and Nick bang into each other tonight and are both lost for the year, I might reconsider.
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:20:45 AM(UTC)
yooperfan  
#34 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:55:44 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

Alrighty then, Packers being most likely.
I seriously doubt it though.

wpr  
#35 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 10:03:15 AM(UTC)

If the bookies say so it must be true.
beast  
#36 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
If the bookies say so it must be true.

Yes because bookies jobs are to tell you the truth and put more money back in your pockets.

They sure were correct with Dez Bryant to the Packers too!
Zero2Cool  
#37 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 1:37:09 PM(UTC)
Yes because bookies jobs are to tell you the truth and put more money back in your pockets.

They sure were correct with Dez Bryant to the Packers too!

I don't know that it really matters one way or another, just thought it was amusing. What did OddsShark post about Dez Bryant coming to the Packers? And did Dez sign with Browns or someone else?
nerdmann  
#38 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 4:08:25 PM(UTC)
I'd take Khalil over Dez anyday if it was an even trade. But Dez is a free agent. I guess I'd still rather offer a high pick for Khalil than take Dez off the street. lol
beast  
#39 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:21:43 PM(UTC)
I don't know that it really matters one way or another, just thought it was amusing. What did OddsShark post about Dez Bryant coming to the Packers? And did Dez sign with Browns or someone else?
I completely agree it was amusing and it was posted for fun.

I don't know what company it was, but I saw Dez Bryant odds, where the best odds where him coming to the Packers, and the comment was about bookies in general.
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
I'd take Khalil over Dez anyday if it was an even trade. But Dez is a free agent. I guess I'd still rather offer a high pick for Khalil than take Dez off the street. lol

Maybe a single high pick... but some talk about multiple very high picks and a 20+ million per year deal. That's possible one player for the price of four.
Zero2Cool  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:08:27 AM(UTC)
I completely agree it was amusing and it was posted for fun.

I don't know what company it was, but I saw Dez Bryant odds, where the best odds where him coming to the Packers, and the comment was about bookies in general.

Maybe a single high pick... but some talk about multiple very high picks and a 20+ million per year deal. That's possible one player for the price of four.

So if one bookie says one thing, it goes for all bookies? I'm bookie ignorant so I really don't know. I thought different bookies had different odds, and that's why I asked for the OddsShark deal with Dez Bryant so we could compare them.
Rss Feed