Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:11:18 AM(UTC)
I know many blasted Dom Capers for being in the booth. How do you feel about Mike Pettine going in the booth?
Quote:

Don’t expect to see the Green Bay Packers’ new defensive coordinator straddling the sidelines on game days this year. Mike Pettine plans on staying in the booth, where he says he can maximize the amount of information he can digest.

“I’m an information guy,” Pettine said Tuesday, “so I’ll have a lot of information spread out in front of me. When you’re on the sideline you’re usually limited to what you’re carrying.”

In 2013, Pettine said he decided to call the defense from the sideline based on how offenses were going up-tempo, so he tried to economize the communications process by calling plays directly on the sideline, which would cut out the middleman responsible for relaying the plays to the players.

Aside from that one year in Buffalo, Pettine has spent his remaining time as a coordinator in the booth, including all his time in New York with the Jets.

“I found in Buffalo, when I called (plays) from the sideline…that I felt I was shooting from the hip a little bit too much and regretted it,” Pettine said.

Pettine said he prefers to look at his call sheet and cross out the plays he’s called, which was something he couldn’t do fingering through a laminated packet on the sideline.
wpr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:28:32 AM(UTC)
After he was hired, I thought I heard he planned to walk the sidelines. I don't mind the OC/DC sitting in the booth upstairs. It gives them a better perspective of the plays. The position coaches should be the in game motivators.
beast  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:08:54 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I know many blasted Dom Capers for being in the booth. How do you feel about Mike Pettine going in the booth?
I honestly don't care... someone has to be in the booth, and most of the time it seems to be the DC. I think what people disliked about Capers is that he didn't light a fire under the players asses... but it's not in his personality, even if he was on the sideline, he probably wouldn't of done it.

I get the feeling Pettine will, but not on the sideline because he'll be in the booth, but maybe he can do it via the phone lines.
DoddPower  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:09:16 PM(UTC)
Yeah, who cares. Ultimately it's about results. As long as he produces solid defenses, no one will care. If not, it's just another reason people can blast him.

He mentioned he likes to have all his play sheets spread out in front of him. I can get that. I also get the importance of getting of feel for your players. But he can always speak on the phone.

Pros and cons to both, but as always, it's ultimately about results. Whatever he needs to do to have a successful defense, go for it. But one way or the other, it needs to happen.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:15:01 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I honestly don't care... someone has to be in the booth, and most of the time it seems to be the DC. I think what people disliked about Capers is that he didn't light a fire under the players asses... but it's not in his personality, even if he was on the sideline, he probably wouldn't of done it.

I get the feeling Pettine will, but not on the sideline because he'll be in the booth, but maybe he can do it via the phone lines.

I'm not advocating this or saying it should happen. Just a thought. I wonder if Pettine defers ass chewings to his positional coaches? If there's no ass chewing, then he chews their ass for NOT getting their players in line. This would only apply to repeated mistakes, not a one-off or something and wouldn't be regular happening.

Actually, I am not sure where I was going with that now that I re-read what I wrote.
sschind  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:20:37 PM(UTC)
Its harder to fall asleep on the sidelines.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter. I don't think Dom would have been any better on the sidelines. I've never been on the sidelines and I have never been in the booth so I'll take Petine's views on the subject rather than trying to impose my own.
sschind  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:24:55 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not advocating this or saying it should happen. Just a thought. I wonder if Pettine defers ass chewings to his positional coaches? If there's no ass chewing, then he chews their ass for NOT getting their players in line. This would only apply to repeated mistakes, not a one-off or something and wouldn't be regular happening.

Actually, I am not sure where I was going with that now that I re-read what I wrote.

That happens to me a lot but I understand what you are saying...I think. Its like delegating responsibility. Chew out the coaches and they chew out the players. Follow the chain of command. It may help keep the assistants in tune with the game rather than skipping over them and going right to the players.

Bigbyfan  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:28:18 PM(UTC)
If he feels it helps him call a better game, then so be it. It isn't the coordinator's job to hype up the team. That falls on the position coaches.
Rss Feed