Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 6:10:25 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I always hated the years when they put Woods on and/or Tramon back as returner. Those extra 5 yards was not worth losing our top corner due to injury... If memory serves me right, (it probably doesn't) I think both of them ended up getting dinged up on punt returns.

Let one of the backup receivers/corners/running backs handle return duties.

You're not putting someone back there to get an extra five yards. You put your best returner back there because field position matters. You don't play the game to not lose, you play the game to WIN. The Steelers still roll out Antonio Brown on Punt Returns and they get good field position because of it.

Special Teams is one third of the game, you can't just toss in the towel out of fear on 33% of the game.
sschind  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 9:01:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
If one of the rookies and Jake show lots of promise, maybe they trade Randall Cobb to Raiders with a 2nd rounder for Khalil Mack :D

Yeah, then we can have 1 WR with any significant experience for Rodgers to throw to. They all show promise or they wouldn't be here. I'm worried enough about our WR WITH Cobb I'd be almost terrified without him.

sschind  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 9:08:50 AM(UTC)
You're not putting someone back there to get an extra five yards. You put your best returner back there because field position matters. You don't play the game to not lose, you play the game to WIN. The Steelers still roll out Antonio Brown on Punt Returns and they get good field position because of it.

Special Teams is one third of the game, you can't just toss in the towel out of fear on 33% of the game.

I understand the apprehension that comes with having a starter returning kicks but I agree with you. Field position does matter and not only are you hoping for an extra 5 yards you are hoping for a lot more. Some people act as if all you need is a guy who doesn't fumble and while technically you may be able to get away with that a guy who can get you a long return is always beneficial.

beast  
#24 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 9:34:33 AM(UTC)
Since this is talking about returners.

I'm surprised Cobb isn't listed as a returner but Jaire Alexander and Tramon Williams are?

Williams is 35 years old, I'm just not sure I want him on return duties if there is another decent option, and generally I wouldn't care about Alexander doing it, but it sounds like he's going to be a rookie starter (in the nickel slot), let him focus on that first (of course he might already have it down pat).

But why not Cobb?
Cheesey  
#25 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 9:41:49 AM(UTC)
Kumerow sure looked good last night.
Did you see Rodgers reaction when he made that long TD? He was running around like a little kid!
If Aaron Rodgers thinks the kid is good, and Kumerow keeps making plays, then he deserves a roster spot.
nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 10:01:10 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Since this is talking about returners.

I'm surprised Cobb isn't listed as a returner but Jaire Alexander and Tramon Williams are?

Williams is 35 years old, I'm just not sure I want him on return duties if there is another decent option, and generally I wouldn't care about Alexander doing it, but it sounds like he's going to be a rookie starter (in the nickel slot), let him focus on that first (of course he might already have it down pat).

But why not Cobb?

Cobb has lost his burst, and now his surgically repaired ankle isn’t right.

I say use Monty, he was all american as a punt returner iirc. Only problem is, you need to keep him on a pitch count. He can’t get 80 snaps per week as the “motion/diagnose the defense” guy. His body won’t hold up.
TheKanataThrilla  
#27 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 11:10:56 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

I say use Monty, he was all american as a punt returner iirc. Only problem is, you need to keep him on a pitch count. He can’t get 80 snaps per week as the “motion/diagnose the defense” guy. His body won’t hold up.

Mmmmm tough as Monty has the sickle cell issue. Do you put the focus on a guy who has a potential health issue that can show up out-of-the-blue? Personally I would prefer Monty as a back-up guy.

Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 11:20:53 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, then we can have 1 WR with any significant experience for Rodgers to throw to. They all show promise or they wouldn't be here. I'm worried enough about our WR WITH Cobb I'd be almost terrified without him.

I suppose I'm just overconfident in Aaron Rodgers ability to make due with folks like Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, capable running game, Jimmy Graham, Marcedes Lewis, etc ... to compensate for the production loss of Randall Cobb. Feather that confidence in with the idea of adding someone like Khahil Mack and I just feel it'd be worth it. I doubt the Raiders would blink at it though considering they don't need WR's. Especially someone like Cobb at his salary for 2018.
sschind  
#29 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 1:36:55 PM(UTC)
I suppose I'm just overconfident in Aaron Rodgers ability to make due with folks like Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, capable running game, Jimmy Graham, Marcedes Lewis, etc ... to compensate for the production loss of Randall Cobb. Feather that confidence in with the idea of adding someone like Khahil Mack and I just feel it'd be worth it. I doubt the Raiders would blink at it though considering they don't need WR's. Especially someone like Cobb at his salary for 2018.

We've had Aaron Rodgers for how long now and our WR depth seems to have slowly dwindled over that time as our top guys leave. That tells me 3 things. Either the GM hasn't been doing his job in finding replacements, the WRs that have been leaving were actually better than we give them credit for or Aaron Rodgers isn't as good at making ho hum WRs look better than they are that we give him credit for.

Donald Driver was a 7th round pick and he turned out OK Wink . I have a tendency to think that was more due to the fact that he was a better WR than first thought rather than Aaron Rodgers making him better than he really was. Its going to take more than a few preseason games to find out if any of out day 3 picks are really better than we thought.

The thought of adding a player of Mack's ability certainly is an exciting one though and if it weren't for the 20+ million a year it is likely going to take to sign him, on top of a 1st round pick and maybe more plus a starter I'd consider trading almost anyone short of Aaron Rodgers for him.
beast  
#30 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 1:47:33 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

Monty struggled catching the punt though... great returns... but he struggled catching the punt, which would too often go onto the ground, he'd pick them off the ground and use his athletic skills to still get a great return out of it... but it's hard to do that in the pros.

Which is why Monty is a kick return options but not a punt return option. I don't quite understand why punts are harder to catch, but everyone seems to agree they are.
stevegb  
#31 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 6:16:43 AM(UTC)
This guy keeps impressing with each opportunity
wpr  
#32 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 7:11:35 AM(UTC)
ESPN Demovsky said:
Jake Kumerow is no longer just a fun little training camp story that will be forgotten when the football becomes real in a few weeks.

The 26-year-old from the small Wisconsin school, who's still waiting to play in his first real NFL game, is here to stay if you ask some veterans in the Green Bay Packers' locker room.

Quote:
"I don't really try to pay attention," Kumerow said of the increased attention. "I just try to keep my head down and make a lot of plays. But I do hear a lot more ‘Go Warhawks' when I'm walking to practice. I like to hear that."

It was fun to be sitting in the south end of the stadium watching the play unfold. As soon as Jake caught the ball I could see he was going to go a long long way. The only question was could the S catch him and did he have enough gas in his tank to take it to the house.
yooperfan  
#33 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 7:32:50 AM(UTC)
I'm jacked about JakeBigGrin !!!
beast  
#34 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 7:51:33 AM(UTC)
I've been hearing fans saying that we are going to keep at least 7 WRs for what seems like a decade... but it's been well established that the Packers keep a maximum of 6.

I think this potentially could be the exception to the rule, trying to keep their 3 talented draft picks on the main roster behind Adams, Cobb, Gmo and Kum. Or they're gonna trade on, or pray one of them somehow slips to the PS.

Packers are deep at WR and QB too. Some tough choices there.
Zero2Cool  
#35 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 8:14:34 AM(UTC)
I've been hearing fans saying that we are going to keep at least 7 WRs for what seems like a decade... but it's been well established that the Packers keep a maximum of 6.

I think this potentially could be the exception to the rule, trying to keep their 3 talented draft picks on the main roster behind Adams, Cobb, Gmo and Kum. Or they're gonna trade on, or pray one of them somehow slips to the PS.

Didn't the Packers keep 7 WR 2016 or 2015
FLORIDA PACKER88  
#36 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 8:27:43 AM(UTC)

They kept 7 in 2016 I believe. Though Abbredaris was cut early in the season. If the young wideouts can contribute somewhere on special teams, 7 is not out of the question at all. We kept 5 tight ends and 2 FB one year didn't we? If these guys can help on returns and/or coverage, 7 wideouts is a no brainer.
Cheesey  
#37 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 8:29:06 AM(UTC)
After watching him last night, it’s obvious he doesn’t have blazing speed. But it’s also obvious that he knows how to get open and catch the ball!
Some of the young draft pick guys might be faster then him, but if you can’t catch the ball or run crisp routes, what good does being fast do?
musccy  
#38 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 10:33:43 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post

Some of the young draft pick guys might be faster then him, but if you can’t catch the ball or run crisp routes, what good does being fast do?

#JeffJanis
beast  
#39 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 12:57:13 PM(UTC)
Didn't the Packers keep 7 WR 2016 or 2015
FLORIDA PACKER88 said: Go to Quoted Post
They kept 7 in 2016 I believe. Though Abbredaris was cut early in the season. If the young wideouts can contribute somewhere on special teams, 7 is not out of the question at all. We kept 5 tight ends and 2 FB one year didn't we? If these guys can help on returns and/or coverage, 7 wideouts is a no brainer.

Okay I've been corrected... in 2016 they kept 7 WRs, though in my defense Ty Montgomery is now a RB and Jeff Janis and Trevor Davis both are basically STers... and Abby was released (via "IR" then release) to make room at other positions.
Zero2Cool  
#40 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 2:39:02 PM(UTC)
Okay I've been corrected... in 2016 they kept 7 WRs, though in my defense Ty Montgomery is now a RB and Jeff Janis and Trevor Davis both are basically STers... and Abby was released (via "IR" then release) to make room at other positions.

Hey now, don't be making excuses!!!
Rss Feed