wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

With Jake Kumerow, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Equanimeous St. Brown showing off, could Green Bay’s WR3 be the odd man out? It’s just one preseason game, so deep breaths are required. On the other hand, even before Thursday night, when a trio of young receivers announced themselves to Packers  Nation, the pass catching numbers were going to leave some talented players off the final roster.
What if Green Bay pre-empts the final cut question by attempting to deal a starting receiver to a needy team in August? Would a thin team like the Cowboys  be interested in Geronimo Allison ? If the Patriots  are turning to Eric Decker  and Cordarrelle Patterson , wouldn’t they prefer a player who might actually be able to help them? The Patriots and Packers love to deal.
There are nine players with legitimate chances to make the team and the only locks going into training camp were Davante Adams , Randall Cobb , and Geronimo Allison . J’Mon Moore felt like a fourth simply because of his draft position and Trevor Davis , as the team’s most dynamic punt returner, had a case for fifth. That’s before we get to the wildly explosive Marqueze Valdes-Scantling, the big-bodied Equanimeous St. Brown , and last year’s fifth-round pick DeAngelo Yancey.
Then, Jake Kumerow  broke out in training camp, earning the seal of approval from Aaron Rodgers and hauling in a 52-yard touchdown late against the Titans . The inconsistent but tantalizingly talented Valdes-Scantling absolutely balled out against Tennessee, with a 51-yard bomb, a 15-yard touchdown, and a 100-yard game in his pro debut.
St. Brown  once again showed the consistency catching the ball, but we saw more of that 4.4s speed that makes his size/speed combination so intriguing. If there’s a player with the inside track to the WR4 job, it just might be EQ.
And even on a night when Moore struggled to finish catches, there’s no way he’s making it through waivers and he did flash his quickness and instincts. If he had come down with a few of the catches he let slip away, he may have been headlining this list instead of being a footnote.
Yancey clearly looks like (one of) the odd man out, but that still only cuts the roster down to eight receivers. Davis  has been dealing with injury and it’s hard to argue he’s done anything as a receiver to warrant consideration above the rookies. There’s an intellectually honest case MVS and EQ have already shown more ability as receivers in their short tenure than Davis has in two seasons. It’s important to note Davis was a Ted Thompson draft selection, not one of Brian Gutekunst’s so his draft position may not save him.
If Davis gets the axe, that still leaves seven.
Don’t the Packers have exactly the kind of team that could afford to deal a more veteran player and accommodate multiple rookie receivers? Without Allison, EQ slides in opposite Davante Adams  with Cobb  in the slot. That leaves Jimmy Graham , Lance Kendricks  and Marcedes Lewis  as capable receiving threats at tight end. Add those guys to a stable of capable running backs, each with pass catching ability, and this team could be even more balanced than the 2014 version that won Aaron Rodgers  an MVP and nearly took the Pack to the Super Bowl .
Speaking of that 2014 team, they had a Pro Bowl  lead receiver, a standout slot, a stud in the backfield, and two rookies playing snaps out wide with a rookie tight end. It would be easy to forget now how inconsistent Adams was as a rookie, so much so that he was benched at times for Jeff Janis. Richard Rodgers provided steady hands, but not much else. That season was all about Nelson and Cobb with Lacy providing the balance and Starks the relief.
Adams could be a top-5 receiver this season and Jimmy Graham  has the potential to torch teams in the middle of the field, even if it’s not quite the same way Cobb lit up opposing secondaries inside. That said, Cobb still has some juice and looks back to his old tricks so far in camp. From a pass-catching standpoint, there’s a solid case this is a deeper team, with quality players at every level, including out of the backfield.
From a composition standpoint, two rookies might need to contribute in order to succeed on a Super Bowl contender.
Allison may be more consistent and reliable, but is the relative difference between him and say EQ, really that big? Is it the difference between winning and lose a game? Probably not. With these young receivers showing so much upside, the Packers may consider them ready sooner than originally thought. And getting some value from the only player Green Bay could legitimately find a new home for makes some sense.
It’s not that it’s the prudent path, but it could make some sense if these young receivers continue to excel. Again, we only have one preseason game, Family Night, and practice reports to go on, but these receivers are ahead of the curve. With Aaron Rodgers  and a deep stable of other playmakers on offense, starting a rookie isn’t the end of the world. We’ve seen it work. Plus, Gutekunst would be getting value for a player who may not be marginally that much better than options the team would have had to cut anyway. How much would it really be? Who cares? A conditional sixth? An extra seventh? Anything would be better than simply cutting a quality player outright.
It’s not likely to happen. These types of camp battles tend to sort themselves out on their own, but so far this dynamic group of nascent pass catchers have made life difficult for McCarthy and company to stack the depth chart. A deal like one with Allison could relieve the pressure while ramping up the competition for a starting spot, thus elevating the play of EQ, Kumerow , MVS et al even more and allowing the best players the opportunity to really shine.

Continue Reading @ Peter_Bukowski 

Peter_Bukowski wrote:

I don't see it happening. Certainly not for a conditional 6th.

If nothing else most rookies struggle with knowing the full route tree. Not to mention the audibles. Give the kids time. Maybe they will pan out and maybe they will be like the dozen of other WRs who looked pretty good in TC and never amounted to anything after they were released.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I don't see it happening. Certainly not for a conditional 6th.

If nothing else most rookies struggle with knowing the full route tree. Not to mention the audibles. Give the kids time. Maybe they will pan out and maybe they will be like the dozen of other WRs who looked pretty good in TC and never amounted to anything after they were released.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I feel like I've been arguing that the Packers won't keep 7 WRs based on roster numbers for a decade now... this is the first year that I feel like there could be an exception to that as the young guys are showing talent and two of the top three (Cobb and Allison) haven't proven a ton lately and are free agents after the season.

We don't really know Gute's stance on trading players away yet (under Thompson I'd say no way, unless they weren't going to make the 53 man roster anyways).

I can't see them trading Adams or the rookie draft picks... but if any of the others have some good trade offers, I could see the Packers considering it. I don't like the "conditional" part though for any of the top 7 WRs, as I'd rather just keep them on the 53 man roster then, because a lot of those conditional trade, they cut the player right before they have to give anything up for him.

I could see WR Davis being traded away as a conditional pick for a team that wants a return guy. If he plays so many games for us, we'll give you a 6th or 7th type thing.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago
While trading someone who may not make the team sounds like a good idea, I can't see why anyone would trade for Allison. He's an UDFA who has 400 yards and 2 TDs over two years. Doesn't every team in the league have a marginal guy like this on the fringe of their roster? Why would anyone give up a draft pick for him?

But sure if you can get a 6th or 7th for him go for it.
blank
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
When did we become so enamored with sixth and seventh round picks all the sudden? Our roster isn't that shallow that those late round picks are gonna stick.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
Allison is as close to a lock to make this team, at this point in time, as I could imagine.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
gbguy20
5 years ago
Aside from Geronimo already being here for a couple of , what has Geronimo done that makes everyone assume he is a lock to be #3?
beast
5 years ago

When did we become so enamored with sixth and seventh round picks all the sudden? Our roster isn't that shallow that those late round picks are gonna stick.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

When they started flashing potential...

Our roster isn't that shallow but it's also not that deep. You can make a good mock roster with 7 WRs fairly easily this year if you have 25 offensive players, and don't keep a 3rd QB OR 9th OL.

As of right now, of the 6th and 7th round picks, I think WR St. Brown and OLB Donnerson make it. Not sure about DL Looney, his pass rush looks good, but his run stopping looks bad. LS Bradly has reportedly made slightly more mistakes so far, but they also used a draft pick on a LS, so who knows.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago

Aside from Geronimo already being here for a couple of , what has Geronimo done that makes everyone assume he is a lock to be #3?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

He's been on first team opposite Adams for the entire off-season program and training camp. He had (edit) TWO GREAT plays coming back to the ball in the first pre-season game. He has the confidence of the coaching staff and the guy throwing the ball, Aaron Rodgers.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.