gbguy20
  • gbguy20
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The Green Bay Packers looked nothing like a championship team on Sunday in their 31-23 loss to the Detroit Lions. A lot of blame will be thrown kicker Mason Crosby’s way for the loss, and it is deserved. But whomever is handing out the blame shouldn’t forget about Mike McCarthy, the leader and the person in charge. McCarthy is the one who needs to have his team ready to play from the opening whistle and for three out of their five games, they have come out flat and unprepared. Clock ticking on Mike McCarthy as the Green Bay Packers head coach.

You can’t take anything away from the job Mike McCarthy has done during his 13 year tenure. After Sunday’s loss, he has a regular season record of 123-72-2 with a regular season winning percentage of .629. During that span, the Packers have won six NFC North titles, been to the playoffs nine times, and won one Super Bowl. McCarthy joins Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only Packers head coaches to lead their teams to Super Bowl victories.

Continue Reading @ PackToTheFuture 

PackToTheFuture wrote:

Going to start seeing this everywhere if this team doesn't do an immediate and significant turnaround.
bboystyle
5 years ago
The clock is about 4 years behind on this one. Should of been on the hot seat after the Seattle debacle
5 years ago

The clock is about 4 years behind on this one. Should of been on the hot seat after the Seattle debacle

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheesey
5 years ago

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

Darn!!! I only neede G-17 and I would have had Bingo.😂
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

How the Packers devolved into this is a complicated and multifaceted story. Ted Thompson, the former Packers GM who was transitioned out of the role in January, and his staff refused to supplement the roster with free agents, even as teams like the Seahawks and Broncos showed that that strategy could lead to Super Bowl victories in the modern NFL. The leaguewide desire to stockpile cheap rookie contracts created a pool of valuable middle class players, which the Packers decided to completely ignore. They’ve loosened the purse strings slightly in recent years, especially this past offseason, but on the rare occasions that they have splurged on outside talent, the results have been underwhelming. As Rodgers watches tight end Jimmy Graham—and his $11 million guaranteed—plod around the field, he’s probably wondering, “Why couldn’t we keep Jordy, again?”

Still, the combination of Rodgers and excellent drafting had been enough to keep Green Bay’s offense near the top of the league—even though the defense hasn’t held up its end of the bargain. Recently, though, Rodgers’s unit has taken a drastic fall from the scoreboard-exploding groups the Packers have fielded in years past. While creativity and ingenuity have started driving the best offenses in the NFL, neither of those can be found in Green Bay’s approach. A scheme that demands its receivers rely solely on their own ability to get open can work when the receivers are overly talented, but aside from Davante Adams, this group isn’t. And as Sean McVay and Andy Reid scheme wide-open throws into existence for Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes II, respectively, Rodgers is forced to conjure his own miracles. Reid is six years McCarthy’s senior. He’s been a head coach in the NFL for seven more seasons. This isn’t a matter of age or a veteran coach getting left behind in the advent of new systems. Reid has made tireless efforts to stave off extinction and remain on the cutting edge of play design in the NFL. McCarthy has not.

The Packers’ static approach has become even more frustrating as innovative coaches around the league turn over every rock in the football world, trying to find new ways to make the game easier on their players. Many of Reid’s more forward-thinking concepts are pulled straight from college football, and if the Packers truly want to get as far from McCarthy philosophically as they can, college might be the place to look. The thought of Rodgers playing in an offense devised by Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley is genuinely terrifying.

Robert Mays  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Another excerpt from the above article:

And nothing has changed. The offense has stagnated through five games this season, averaging just 23 points per game and showing little schematic creativity in the process, and Rodgers has more than enough reasons to be miffed. Late last month, Rodgers openly lobbied for running back Aaron Jones to get more carries (Jones is currently averaging 6.1 yards per carry). A couple of weeks later, Jones was out-snapped by Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery. Some of that had to do with a pass-happy game script, but save the argument that Williams is such a great pass protector that it’s impossible to keep him off the field. Playing Williams over Jones because he’s superior in pass protection is akin to going to a Michelin-star restaurant because you like the mints in the bathroom. Even if it’s not intentional, it sure feels like McCarthy is antagonizing one of the best quarterbacks ever for no reason—and to his own detriment.

Robert Mays wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Winning fixes everything.
But our sputtering offense makes people come out of the woodwork to attack.
I’m frustrated as well. We have the players to win, yet can’t get it done.
And I don’t see it changing this season.
It’s the same thing over and over.
And Mike McCarthy doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix it.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Something I meant to add earlier but forgot is that blame for the failures of this offense can't be laid entirely at the feet of Mike McCarthy. Not a drive goes by that we don't call out all the open men Aaron Rodgers has available to him. Even on some plays where the commentators claim no one was open, I often see guys that sure look open to me. Unless these shorter routes are designed purely as decoys and Rodgers is required to wait for the deep routes to develop, it's not McCarthy's fault that Rodgers refuses to take -- or simply fails to see, which might be a scarier thought -- what the defense offers. And while this probably goes without saying, it's also incumbent upon the receivers themselves to create separation and give Rodgers a chance to get them the ball.

Frankly, I'd be curious to see what might happen if McCarthy abandoned the deep route altogether for a game or two and just sent every one of his eligible receivers (okay, not the running backs -- but hey, maybe some of them too) to hunker down at or just beyond the marker on every single play. Sure, it would probably reduce production in the short term, but maybe it would help the offense put together some more sustained drives and, more importantly, capitalize in the red zone. If nothing else, it would force the receivers to learn how to stop running into each other. Who knows? It might even teach Rodgers a little discipline and improve his vision in the pocket, if only a little a bit.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
5 years ago

Winning fixes everything.
But our sputtering offense makes people come out of the woodwork to attack.
I’m frustrated as well. We have the players to win, yet can’t get it done.
And I don’t see it changing this season.
It’s the same thing over and over.
And Mike McCarthy doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix it.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Ted Thompson hired the wrong head coach!
Everything was hunkey dory until 2012, then Thompson's poor drafting started to show and McCarthy refuses to adapt to the modern style of play.
sschind
5 years ago

Darn!!! I only neede G-17 and I would have had Bingo.😂

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

You never would have won. If you had G17 on your card it was defective. The G's cover numbers 46-60 and number 17 is under "I"😁

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (44m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.