Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gbguy20  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 1:47:15 PM(UTC)
PackToTheFuture said:
The Green Bay Packers looked nothing like a championship team on Sunday in their 31-23 loss to the Detroit Lions. A lot of blame will be thrown kicker Mason Crosby’s way for the loss, and it is deserved. But whomever is handing out the blame shouldn’t forget about Mike McCarthy, the leader and the person in charge. McCarthy is the one who needs to have his team ready to play from the opening whistle and for three out of their five games, they have come out flat and unprepared. Clock ticking on Mike McCarthy as the Green Bay Packers head coach.

You can’t take anything away from the job Mike McCarthy has done during his 13 year tenure. After Sunday’s loss, he has a regular season record of 123-72-2 with a regular season winning percentage of .629. During that span, the Packers have won six NFC North titles, been to the playoffs nine times, and won one Super Bowl. McCarthy joins Vince Lombardi and Mike Holmgren as the only Packers head coaches to lead their teams to Super Bowl victories.

Continue Reading @ PackToTheFuture

Going to start seeing this everywhere if this team doesn't do an immediate and significant turnaround.
bboystyle  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 2:03:53 PM(UTC)
The clock is about 4 years behind on this one. Should of been on the hot seat after the Seattle debacle
packerfanoutwest  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 6:58:47 PM(UTC)
bboystyle said: Go to Quoted Post
The clock is about 4 years behind on this one. Should of been on the hot seat after the Seattle debacle

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheesey  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 9:12:10 PM(UTC)
packerfanoutwest said: Go to Quoted Post
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn!!! I only neede G-17 and I would have had Bingo.LOL
Nonstopdrivel  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:20:56 AM(UTC)
Robert Mays said:
How the Packers devolved into this is a complicated and multifaceted story. Ted Thompson, the former Packers GM who was transitioned out of the role in January, and his staff refused to supplement the roster with free agents, even as teams like the Seahawks and Broncos showed that that strategy could lead to Super Bowl victories in the modern NFL. The leaguewide desire to stockpile cheap rookie contracts created a pool of valuable middle class players, which the Packers decided to completely ignore. They’ve loosened the purse strings slightly in recent years, especially this past offseason, but on the rare occasions that they have splurged on outside talent, the results have been underwhelming. As Rodgers watches tight end Jimmy Graham—and his $11 million guaranteed—plod around the field, he’s probably wondering, “Why couldn’t we keep Jordy, again?”

Still, the combination of Rodgers and excellent drafting had been enough to keep Green Bay’s offense near the top of the league—even though the defense hasn’t held up its end of the bargain. Recently, though, Rodgers’s unit has taken a drastic fall from the scoreboard-exploding groups the Packers have fielded in years past. While creativity and ingenuity have started driving the best offenses in the NFL, neither of those can be found in Green Bay’s approach. A scheme that demands its receivers rely solely on their own ability to get open can work when the receivers are overly talented, but aside from Davante Adams, this group isn’t. And as Sean McVay and Andy Reid scheme wide-open throws into existence for Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes II, respectively, Rodgers is forced to conjure his own miracles. Reid is six years McCarthy’s senior. He’s been a head coach in the NFL for seven more seasons. This isn’t a matter of age or a veteran coach getting left behind in the advent of new systems. Reid has made tireless efforts to stave off extinction and remain on the cutting edge of play design in the NFL. McCarthy has not.

The Packers’ static approach has become even more frustrating as innovative coaches around the league turn over every rock in the football world, trying to find new ways to make the game easier on their players. Many of Reid’s more forward-thinking concepts are pulled straight from college football, and if the Packers truly want to get as far from McCarthy philosophically as they can, college might be the place to look. The thought of Rodgers playing in an offense devised by Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley is genuinely terrifying.
Nonstopdrivel  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:27:18 AM(UTC)
Another excerpt from the above article:

Robert Mays said:
And nothing has changed. The offense has stagnated through five games this season, averaging just 23 points per game and showing little schematic creativity in the process, and Rodgers has more than enough reasons to be miffed. Late last month, Rodgers openly lobbied for running back Aaron Jones to get more carries (Jones is currently averaging 6.1 yards per carry). A couple of weeks later, Jones was out-snapped by Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery. Some of that had to do with a pass-happy game script, but save the argument that Williams is such a great pass protector that it’s impossible to keep him off the field. Playing Williams over Jones because he’s superior in pass protection is akin to going to a Michelin-star restaurant because you like the mints in the bathroom. Even if it’s not intentional, it sure feels like McCarthy is antagonizing one of the best quarterbacks ever for no reason—and to his own detriment.
Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:39:27 AM(UTC)
Winning fixes everything.
But our sputtering offense makes people come out of the woodwork to attack.
I’m frustrated as well. We have the players to win, yet can’t get it done.
And I don’t see it changing this season.
It’s the same thing over and over.
And Mike McCarthy doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix it.
Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 1:18:23 PM(UTC)
Something I meant to add earlier but forgot is that blame for the failures of this offense can't be laid entirely at the feet of Mike McCarthy. Not a drive goes by that we don't call out all the open men Aaron Rodgers has available to him. Even on some plays where the commentators claim no one was open, I often see guys that sure look open to me. Unless these shorter routes are designed purely as decoys and Rodgers is required to wait for the deep routes to develop, it's not McCarthy's fault that Rodgers refuses to take -- or simply fails to see, which might be a scarier thought -- what the defense offers. And while this probably goes without saying, it's also incumbent upon the receivers themselves to create separation and give Rodgers a chance to get them the ball.

Frankly, I'd be curious to see what might happen if McCarthy abandoned the deep route altogether for a game or two and just sent every one of his eligible receivers (okay, not the running backs -- but hey, maybe some of them too) to hunker down at or just beyond the marker on every single play. Sure, it would probably reduce production in the short term, but maybe it would help the offense put together some more sustained drives and, more importantly, capitalize in the red zone. If nothing else, it would force the receivers to learn how to stop running into each other. Who knows? It might even teach Rodgers a little discipline and improve his vision in the pocket, if only a little a bit.
yooperfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:47:27 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Winning fixes everything.
But our sputtering offense makes people come out of the woodwork to attack.
I’m frustrated as well. We have the players to win, yet can’t get it done.
And I don’t see it changing this season.
It’s the same thing over and over.
And Mike McCarthy doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix it.

Ted Thompson hired the wrong head coach!
Everything was hunkey dory until 2012, then Thompson's poor drafting started to show and McCarthy refuses to adapt to the modern style of play.
sschind  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:08:57 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Darn!!! I only neede G-17 and I would have had Bingo.LOL

You never would have won. If you had G17 on your card it was defective. The G's cover numbers 46-60 and number 17 is under "I"BigGrin

Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:17:00 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
You never would have won. If you had G17 on your card it was defective. The G's cover numbers 46-60 and number 17 is under "I"BigGrin

So THATS why I never win!!!Laugh
Nonstopdrivel  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:45:19 PM(UTC)
I have a G6. Your argument is invalid.
Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:51:41 PM(UTC)
I LOVE that everyone is getting into the “Cheesey” spirit!Laugh
Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:41:57 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Frankly, I'd be curious to see what might happen if McCarthy abandoned the deep route altogether for a game or two and just sent every one of his eligible receivers (okay, not the running backs -- but hey, maybe some of them too) to hunker down at or just beyond the marker on every single play.

You would be curious to see what would happen? I will tell you what happens. Look at the Bears game second half. That's what happens when you just get rid of the damn ball under 3 seconds on a consistent basis. You move the damn chains!
Nonstopdrivel  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 5:21:25 PM(UTC)
Get a load of this statistic: Over the past three seasons, with Aaron Rodgers in the game, the Packers are -91 in scoring differential in the first three quarters of games. In the fourth quarter, they're +105.

I'm not exactly sure what that says about this team and its coaching staff, but I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't good.
beast  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:04:17 PM(UTC)
I'm still under the belief that in MM's scheme there are two offensive systems

System one: Line up, run the called played AND within the called play, you have to read the defender the same way as the QB and react to it.... THIS TAKES TIME TO LEARN ... both the system and getting on the same page as your QB.

System two: Once the play break downs, you read the QB and defense and adjust again... and again you have to be in the head of the QB and have to experience this.... THIS TAKES A LOT MORE TIME.

This system works, if you can get the guys on the same page. The reason it's not working right now is because 1) They just rebuilt the offensive weapons 2) The Packers long term weapons are injured 3) The new weapons haven't been able to learn and get on the same page with Rodgers mentally yet.

I might be wrong... but I think the offense would be clicking so much more with Cobb and Allison healthy... the Packers are still having to get these new guys up to NFL speed and system one speed... that the same page with Rodgers part is not close and that's slowing Rodgers trust up... and so he's playing even safer than he normally would because they're not on the same page.
bboystyle  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:58:39 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm still under the belief that in MM's scheme there are two offensive systems

System one: Line up, run the called played AND within the called play, you have to read the defender the same way as the QB and react to it.... THIS TAKES TIME TO LEARN ... both the system and getting on the same page as your QB.

System two: Once the play break downs, you read the QB and defense and adjust again... and again you have to be in the head of the QB and have to experience this.... THIS TAKES A LOT MORE TIME.

This system works, if you can get the guys on the same page. The reason it's not working right now is because 1) They just rebuilt the offensive weapons 2) The Packers long term weapons are injured 3) The new weapons haven't been able to learn and get on the same page with Rodgers mentally yet.

I might be wrong... but I think the offense would be clicking so much more with Cobb and Allison healthy... the Packers are still having to get these new guys up to NFL speed and system one speed... that the same page with Rodgers part is not close and that's slowing Rodgers trust up... and so he's playing even safer than he normally would because they're not on the same page.

Dunno what u been watching but this offense has been stale and bad since 2011 KC game. Yea some games it clicks and that mostly due to defensive errors or our players making plays and/or playing vs bad teams. For the most part our offense is to have Rodgers line up under center and hope he can turn dog shit into gold. This system doesnt work and it has nothing to do with which experience players are playing or not.
Nonstopdrivel  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 9:35:03 AM(UTC)
bboystyle said: Go to Quoted Post
2011 KC game

I still spit every time I think of that game.
bboystyle  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:12:02 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
I still spit every time I think of that game.

Would of been nice to go 16-0 before going one and done... :(
nerdmann  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:25:39 PM(UTC)
The ONE thing Mike couldn't do was shit himself early in the season like this. I mean, they had to go 4-2 before the brutal part of their schedule comes up, and as far as I'm concerned, they did that.

But the WAY they did that? It was ugly.

Mike needs to go for the knock out punch in order to save his job. He has already failed on fundamentals.
Rss Feed