Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nonstopdrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:46:53 PM(UTC)
Nick Shook said:
The Packers placed receiver Geronimo Allison (groin) on injured reserve Tuesday. Allison missed Green Bay's 31-17 loss to New England in Week 9 due to the groin injury, which he suffered in practice Thursday.

Allison's season ends after just five games played, in which he caught 20 passes for 303 yards and two touchdowns. Rookie Marquez Valdes-Scantling is in line to replace Allison on Green Bay's depth chart.

Valdes-Scantling has already seen his fair share of playing time in his first season, appearing in eight games and catching 17 passes for 358 yards and two touchdowns. As the season has progressed, Valdes-Scantling has looked more comfortable with each week. For the Packers, the hope is the dropoff from Allison to Valdes-Scantling is minimal, if at all.

It's crazy to realize that Valdes-Scantling only has 17 receptions on the season. That means he's averaging over 21 yards per catch.
beast  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:54:50 PM(UTC)
They need to get Kumerow back and see if he has anything... and semi bench Cobb... as Cobb seems to have nothing left.

Should be Adams, Graham, MVS, Jones as the main four with Kendricks and St. Brown getting some time mixed in (as well as Williams at RB)
DarkaneRules  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:44:47 AM(UTC)
Cobb doesn't have a place on this offense. That isn't to say schematically but skill wise. He's not a vertical threat and any other guy could probably be more impactful in the slot. People aren't going to like this, but this is as close to a rebuilding year as you could have with a QB of Aaron Rodgers's caliber.
beast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:17:40 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Cobb doesn't have a place on this offense. That isn't to say schematically but skill wise. He's not a vertical threat and any other guy could probably be more impactful in the slot. People aren't going to like this, but this is as close to a rebuilding year as you could have with a QB of Aaron Rodgers's caliber.

I agree, this is a rebuilding year... and we should have kept Nelson over Cobb, or release them both and saved the cap room.
Cheesey  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:21:37 AM(UTC)
Cobb is much younger, and not coming off a horrific knee injury.
I think that played into it.
Hindsight is 20-20.
Now it seems clear Jordy should have been kept one more year.
DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:30:02 AM(UTC)
You have to commit to youth in this league. The punishment for choosing the wrong young player and not patching with the right veterans, when necessary, will lead to struggle.
Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:38:46 AM(UTC)
Jordy Nelson is gonna retire, if he knows what is best for him. He's dropped off a lot.
Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:42:27 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Jordy Nelson is gonna retire, if he knows what is best for him. He's dropped off a lot.

I agree. Plus he is stuck on a terrible team. Even worse then the Packers.
No reason for him to keep playing except for payday.
beast  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 8:41:52 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Cobb is much younger, and not coming off a horrific knee injury.
I think that played into it.
Hindsight is 20-20.
Now it seems clear Jordy should have been kept one more year.

I agree I think age came into play, also it was rumored the Packers attempted to extend Cobb's contract at a lower $ per year rate... those I'm thinking the Packers might have lucked out with him saying no.... as his bargaining power might be a lot less now.

Also it wasn't hindsight for me, even at the top of Cobb's hype before he signed his second contract, I said I wouldn't pay him more than Nelson and that I thought Bulaga (also a FA at the time) was the much more important person to sign... people thought I was being ridiculous at the time but it still seems like I was correct on that one.
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree. Plus he is stuck on a terrible team. Even worse then the Packers.
No reason for him to keep playing except for payday.

With the Raiders clearly rebuilding, I'd be shocked if they keep his contact for next year when all the guarantees are gone... so Nelson could be a FA again... and if he's seriously willing to pay for cheap like James Jones said he was crazily doing, I might bring him back, redzone WR if nothing else. Show the young guys how to get on the same page as Rodgers down there.

Though my expectations of it happening are very slightly above 0%. But I do think the Raiders will release him by seasons end.
DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:51:00 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree, this is a rebuilding year... and we should have kept Nelson over Cobb, or release them both and saved the cap room.

I don't know why you are so stuck on Nelson. Releasing him was 100% the right decision. He's done. I can understand keeping Cobb, but I would preferred that he was released as well. Both are marginal players now that are likely done. Cobb might have a chance still. The mistake was not finding adequate replacements for them. Many observers thought that the Packers WRs going into the season, even 100% healthy, weren't good enough. I'm not sure why the Packers thought they were.
beast  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:32:45 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't know why you are so stuck on Nelson. Releasing him was 100% the right decision.
That's your opinion but it's anything but surely 100% anything as there are a heck of a lot of what-ifs... including what if he was still with Rodgers and they had their red zone chemistry working still, which would of helped both look a lot better... but we'll never know.

And the bottom line is we had both Nelson and Cobb, and we picked the wrong choice... either Nelson or neither of them was the better choice and we didn't take it!

And I'll along to piss and moan on the issue that bothers me most just like I'm sure some others do as well... it's called venting after something stupid happening!
Rss Feed