Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:36:53 PM(UTC)
CheeseheadTV said:
To start, having Aaron Rodgers under contract with the potential for five more great years will certainly be eye-catching to most. For a young, upstart coach, a chance to lead a team with Rodgers under center certainly puts them a leg up on a lot of the competition when looking to make a name for themselves in the league. But, will candidates look into the potential souring relationship that Rodgers had with Mike McCarthy and be scared away from the chance to coach the Packers?

It seemed to me that the Packers were radioactive after they fired Ray Rhodes. Rhodes kind of let the veterans take over the team, the star QB in particular. So Ron Wolf ended up offering the job to Mike Sherman. Sherman wasn't ready at that time, but it just didn't seem like any of the more qualified candidates wanted any part of that situation.

Honestly hope it turns out better this time.
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:42:55 PM(UTC)
PFT

Quote:
Reminded that the Packers job is a great job, Arians didn’t dispute that fact.

“Yeah, it is,” Arians said. “I have no desire to coach in Green Bay.”

That cries out for more as to why. Is there something he’s heard through the coaching grapevine that makes him not want to work for the Packers? Is it related to the front office? To the CEO? To the quarterback?

Probably nothing, just something in the back of my mind.
KRK  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:01:37 PM(UTC)
If I were interviewing for the job, I would ask Gute, "what the hell are you going to do on the offensive line, because, as a unit, your guys suck. Your left tackle is great, your center is very good, and the rest Lombardi couldn't win with. You need to recognize that when 12 had is best years, he had Lang and Sitton at guard and he know he could step up into a pocket. You want me to work on his footwork?!?! Then open up the checkbook and get me some frigging talent so that he can reliably step up into a friggin pocket. If you can't or won't, I will call Cleveland or Jacksonville. Also Gute, you have a pretty exciting RB and if I could actually run the ball in short yardage, it would make the defense put 8 in the box on open up the passing game."

Then I would say, "and by the way, why the hell do you have four tight ends on the roster? Give me two 6'5" plus guys who can block and get minimum separation and I will get 12 to get them the ball all day long on play action if we could actually run the ball on 3rd and 1."

I would then call Pettine and say, "Mike, you did great stuff with 3 of your D line starters on IR, a starting corner out, and only 1 NFL caliber linebacker. Please stick around...if you will, we will win 2 of the next four Super Bowls."

If I were a top candidate, as long as Gute had an accurate assessment of our talent deficiencies, I think I would be all over this opportunity
macbob  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:03:01 PM(UTC)
I thought Sherman was a good coach but a god-awful GM.

In my opinion, that's what did him in. They never should have given him GM responsibilities.
StoicFire  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:41:12 PM(UTC)
It seems like the Packers would have lots of candidates for the job. As the article mentioned, there's Aaron Rodgers, but there's also a lot more than that. I'll quote Wes Hodkiewicz, because he already said it well: "There’s no question this is one of the best jobs in the NFL. There are no meddling owners. The organization has proven willing to invest resources into the team. The community lives and breathes football. It’s all right there." I expect it to be a highly sought after position, which will hopefully bring out some great candidates (fingers crossed).
Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:04:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
PFT

Probably nothing, just something in the back of my mind.

Bruce Arians said he will ONLY come out of retirement for the Browns job. Let's not try to make more of this than it is. Oh wait, who am I talking to ... sir tinfoil hat. Cool Flapper
buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:18:20 PM(UTC)
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
I thought Sherman was a good coach but a god-awful GM.

In my opinion, that's what did him in. They never should have given him GM responsibilities.

Exactly,
Mike Sherman built a running game that was tough to stop.
He got thrown into the GM/HC role when Ron Wolf left and there was no exit plan in place.

That was the "new" thing to do.
Failed everywhere except New England.

I'm not sure this "new" structure Murphy has set up is going to work.
I guess we will find out what kind of HC it will attract.
sschind  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:28:49 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Bruce Arians said he will ONLY come out of retirement for the Browns job. Let's not try to make more of this than it is. Oh wait, who am I talking to ... sir tinfoil hat. Cool Flapper

And he said that multiple times and well before the Packers job opened up. I guess we are supposed to take one guys comment that he is not interested in the Packers job, after he specifically said he was only interested in one particular job, to mean no one wants the Packers job.
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:40:12 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
And he said that multiple times and well before the Packers job opened up. I guess we are supposed to take one guys comment that he is not interested in the Packers job, after he specifically said he was only interested in one particular job, to mean no one wants the Packers job.

Not saying this is how it is. I'm saying, I hope it is NOT like this, but I'm afraid it is, at least to some degree.
Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:45:14 PM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Give me two 6'5" plus guys who can block and get minimum separation and I will get 12 to get them the ball all day long on play action if we could actually run the ball on 3rd and 1."

I almost literally stood up and cheered when I read this post -- I mean, seriously, I practically had a boner contemplating the possibilities -- but this quoted section did stand out to me a bit. Sure, Graham has had his issues here and there getting open, but that hasn't been the main problem. The problem has been Aaron Rodgers' outright refusal to pull the trigger when Graham (and the running backs for that matter) have been open in the flat or beyond the marker -- and when he has slung the ball in their general direction, far too often he's missed them by a mile. I don't think this has been attributable to his inability to step up in the pocket. He's been missing them even when he has had time to throw. Hell, he's had plenty of opportunities to throw their way, made eye contact with them, and simply pulled the ball back down. It's befuddling and maddening.
gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:57:06 PM(UTC)
If he actually did watch his own film e would see his awful fundamentals/mechanics. His quote made it clear he thinks he is above that.
beast  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:04:20 PM(UTC)
Bruce Arians knows that if he has two winning seasons, he'll be loved by Cleveland as a folk hero for decades... Arians is chasing glory and the bar is much lower in Cleveland!

But with so few head coaching openings, and so few star QBs, unless the owners or weather scare people off, the Packers will be a very sought after job... and it was when they hired Mike McCarthy too.
Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:39:31 AM(UTC)
This seems to say Mark Murphy is a good choice to select the next Head Coach.
Cheesey  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:57:05 AM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
If I were interviewing for the job, I would ask Gute, "what the hell are you going to do on the offensive line, because, as a unit, your guys suck. Your left tackle is great, your center is very good, and the rest Lombardi couldn't win with. You need to recognize that when 12 had is best years, he had Lang and Sitton at guard and he know he could step up into a pocket. You want me to work on his footwork?!?! Then open up the checkbook and get me some frigging talent so that he can reliably step up into a friggin pocket. If you can't or won't, I will call Cleveland or Jacksonville. Also Gute, you have a pretty exciting RB and if I could actually run the ball in short yardage, it would make the defense put 8 in the box on open up the passing game."

Then I would say, "and by the way, why the hell do you have four tight ends on the roster? Give me two 6'5" plus guys who can block and get minimum separation and I will get 12 to get them the ball all day long on play action if we could actually run the ball on 3rd and 1."

I would then call Pettine and say, "Mike, you did great stuff with 3 of your D line starters on IR, a starting corner out, and only 1 NFL caliber linebacker. Please stick around...if you will, we will win 2 of the next four Super Bowls."

If I were a top candidate, as long as Gute had an accurate assessment of our talent deficiencies, I think I would be all over this opportunity

I nominate KRK to be the next Packers coach!!!
KRK  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:50:24 AM(UTC)
NSD, it is somewhat disconcerting that my post gave you a boner. However, I will accept it as a compliment and in the asexual manner which I believe it was intended.

Cheesey, I would accept the position, but only after talking extensively with Gutey, Pettine, Daniels, Clark, Bhaktiari, Linsley Adams, Alexander, Williams and last Rodgers.

12 is last because I would want independent input from other players before speaking with him.

Also, I would load up a reel of game film to review with 12 just to review some stuff and see what he actually thought of his performance....away from the press.
Rss Feed