beast
5 years ago

I think they handled the firing in an exemplary fashion. They did Mike McCarthy a favor by doing it now versus the end of the year.

It’s an advantage to the team because they are the first in line to look.

Also, if a prospective coach, you know that there is an opening in Green Bay versus NOT knowing and you can have your people begin to make inquiries...I will bet they are getting calls already.

They are smart enough not to broadcast if, when, and from whom inquiries have been made.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yeah Jay Glazer busted a huge hole in the theories you are laying down in the first post/clip.

1) Other teams did their Super Bowl winning coaches a much bigger and more respectful favor.

2) You could look without firing him

3) They can't have direct calls with any coach while the season is still going on, and indirect calls is like looking, they could do that at any point.

After listening to Glazer, the only advantages I see, are if you seriously wanted to give Joe Philbin a shot, if you want to send a message to the players, if you think Mike McCarthy would be a problem child as a lame duck head coach (which he has already proven otherwise) or if your trying to attract a college coach before they committ to staying in college because their season ends sooner.

I think they did it as part of the message to players.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

I think they handled the firing in an exemplary fashion. They did Mike McCarthy a favor by doing it now versus the end of the year.

It’s an advantage to the team because they are the first in line to look.

Also, if a prospective coach, you know that there is an opening in Green Bay versus NOT knowing and you can have your people begin to make inquiries...I will bet they are getting calls already.

They are smart enough not to broadcast if, when, and from whom inquiries have been made.

If you don't think teams like the Jets or the Bengals or whoever else who may be contemplating firing their coaches at the end of the year aren't already doing their research you are kidding yourself. If candidates are still under contract with other teams no one can contact them and if they aren't anyone can contact them. As far as candidates I don't think there are any rules prohibiting prospective coaches from contacting teams and if there are it would affect teams with coaches under contract as well as those with interim coaches. Any prospective coach or his people are most likely researching half a dozen potential vacancies for next year and I'd be willing to bet those teams already have their short lists.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
I don’t put a hell of a lot of stock them anything J. Glazer says. Further, management has to think strategically, and not be so sensitive to peoples personalities and feelings.

Also, there’s a big difference between a hypothetical opening and a real opening. You can’t make a deal if there isn’t an actual opening.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
sschind
5 years ago

I don’t put a hell of a lot of stock them anything J. Glazer says. Further, management has to think strategically, and not be so sensitive to peoples personalities and feelings.

Also, there’s a big difference between a hypothetical opening and a real opening. You can’t make a deal if there isn’t an actual opening.

I highly doubt they are going to make a deal with anyone before the season is over anyway so by the time they do all the hypothetical openings are going to be real openings if that is what the teams decide. I guess if its a college coach they might but in all likelihood they will wait until the season is over to approach all possible candidates. Murphy said they are going to cast a wide net in their search so I would assume that would mean interest in coaches they can not approach yet.

So Murphy had made the decision to fire McCarthy. There is not much he can do now that he couldn't do if Mike McCarthy was still HC except perhaps evaluate Joe Philbin as a candidate
nerdmann
5 years ago

So a prospective head coach looks at the situation and decides "If I go to GB and only win 4 games by week 13 I might lose my job On the other hand if I go to Cleveland and only win 4 games by year 3 I might lose my job. I think I'll go to Cleveland.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think part of it might be the perception that you would have to deal with a diva QB who has been empowered to run the team and potentially has final say over management decisions, above your own authority as a HC.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

I'm sure the feeling is mutual between you and Glazer and that doesn't take away from the fact the Glazer made a great point... as you it would be been strategic to be BOTH strategically and sensitive and not one or the other like you're suggesting...

And clearly you missed the point (or are willfully ignoring it) because you can't make a deal either way right now, unless it's will a college coach or unemployed coach... and they're probably not gonna make a deal until the season is over, in which case there would be a real opening either way, so your point is completely mute as it would make absolutely no differences other than sensitive...

Your theory is there was something strategically gained by upsetting people... but nothing has been strategically gained unless you want to see what Joe Philbin can do, or if you want to talk to a college coach or an unemployed coach... everything else is the same.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago
The Green Bay job will be desirable. It's not for everyone. It never has been and it never will be. But for many, it would be an ideal position. Some temporary drama won't change that.
Fitness
5 years ago
IMO Glazer is a mouthpiece for people who want to snipe and attack. And he speaks out of both sides of his mouth. On one hand, he says you can't get a head start...on the other he says there conversations and deals happening all the time...which is it?

What is more cruel, to fire a guy and let him get a head start, or to keep him around as a "dead man walking?" Glazer would have criticized the Packers either way. Green Bay doesn't have the swanky restaraunts and the scene he seems to crave.

Beast said:

because you can't make a deal either way right now, unless it's will a college coach or unemployed coach..

That is a naive notion. Clearly, that is not the case...you CAN make a deal, you just can't execute/sign/announce the deal.
sschind
5 years ago

IMO Glazer is a mouthpiece for people who want to snipe and attack. And he speaks out of both sides of his mouth. On one hand, he says you can't get a head start...on the other he says there conversations and deals happening all the time...which is it?

What is more cruel, to fire a guy and let him get a head start, or to keep him around as a "dead man walking?" Glazer would have criticized the Packers either way. Green Bay doesn't have the swanky restaraunts and the scene he seems to crave.

Beast said:

That is a naive notion. Clearly, that is not the case...you CAN make a deal, you just can't execute/sign/announce the deal.

Originally Posted by: Fitness 

Yes you can but it is extremely risky. If anyone found out there could be repercussions. Lets say the Packers contact McDaniels and say we want you and will give you this much. McDaniels says OK and they agree to a deal. If someone finds out it more than likely a huge fine and very likely a loss of a draft pick.

Now the packers could contact his agent and tell him "Keep this on the down low but we are very interested in Josh as our next head coach. Let him know and we will be in touch after the Patriots are done." That type of stuff probably happens all the time but as far as actual conversations and negotiations...I doubt it happens much. Its just too risky.

As far as how the Packers handled the McCarthy situation I think it is better for McCarthy this way as now he can relax and concentrate on where he may want to go and he can get a jump on things. Like I said before if Cleveland is an option for him he has 4 extra weeks to put together a hell of a presentation on how he will develop Mayfield. Something he couldn't have done, or would have been crucified for doing, if he was still the Packers HC. Also I don't think there is anything preventing the Browns from talking to him now if they are interested.

I don't think the Packers gained a heck of a lot by firing him early unless they consider Philbin a legitimate candidate to replace him.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Fitness 

And if you don't have it in writing, and stop searching, and that person backs out, you're screwed. Not to mention the ramifications of doing something behind everyone's back, undermining the current administration. It looks shady on all parts. Yes, it can be done, it's just the morally wrong thing to do. There are not any positives to it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.