beast
5 years ago

That raises an interesting question: what is the earliest date that teams are allowed to sign free agents?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

March 13 at 4:00 p.m., New York time

Can start talking to FAs within the rules on March 11th, noon NY time... and of course teams and agents are said to do a lot of unofficial business talking outside the rules at the scouting combine.

Seems like a somewhat weak draft for offensive linemen. I know the packers need to draft a right guard/tackle but you don't want to reach. It might be smart to draft an edge rusher and pass catcher early and focus on the line on days 2+3.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Exactly, that was my problem with Thompson later drafts, he ignored the strength of the draft and went purely for position need early (looking at a two year needs system instead of the one year need system that the fans look at).

But the draft's have set up perfectly for Gute, two years in a row where the draft's deepest position is also (arguably) the teams biggest need. CB last year and Edge Rushes/defensive front this year with Matthews and Wilkerson as FAs, and Fackrell, Daniels and Lowry all going into contract years... and Perry being a clear potential release candidate (before March 16th as he gets a huge bonus on the leagues 3rd day of the new season).... edge/defense front is hugely needed.

So grab some of the draft's strength and the needed position, do go reaching for the weak positions... that's how we got Randall and Rollins.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

IMO, re-examime personnel needs for 2019, clearly they are:
1. O line
2. O line (repeat intended)
3. Edge Rush
4. ILB
5. Safety
5. Depth everywhere (except perhaps DL)

Draft priorities are adjusted depending on FA’s signed.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Clearly you're looking at the past and not the future... the defensive front is quite clearly the biggest need with Matthews, Wilkerson being FAs, Daniels, Fackrell and Lowry in contract years and Perry being a clear potential cap cut.

And your putting the entire offense mistakes on only the OL... even when the OL did their job the QB and WRs didn't do there job... could use an upgrade at #2 WR while the young guys develop (which sometimes take 3 or more years).

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Beast said

Clearly you're looking at the past...the defensive front is quite clearly the biggest need

I disagree. I believe it will be easy to resign Wilkerson if (Pettine is here) Clark, Daniels will be back healthy, Adams is a year better and we have some depth there. I agree that we need an edge guy, but IMO that is a lower priority than OL. Further, per my post, that is the next highest priority after Oline

We may not have liked his lack of creativity, but Mike McCarthy knew what he had up from (and so does JP), and it is not sufficient to consistently run on short yardage situations. To win in the playoffs, you need to have the run game, specifically short yardage run game as a threat...we don't.

I realize it isn't the popular thing to draft, or suggest highly drafting Olinemen, but some of the suggestions on drafts don't have any offensive linemen, esp in top rounds..SERIOUSLY..WHAT GAMES ARE YOU WATCHING.

Further, if you want 12 to return to the levels he was at, give him an above average Oline, so that he can count on stepping up into a solid pocket.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Clearly you're looking at the past and not the future... the defensive front is quite clearly the biggest need with Matthews, Wilkerson being FAs, Daniels, Fackrell and Lowry in contract years and Perry being a clear potential cap cut.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Kenny Clark is considered one of the top three DT in the NFL. Mike Daniels can talk a good game. Mo Wilkerson has a few more years left (assuming he re-signs for a year). Oh, you said defensive front, meaning the front seven. Okay, I cannot disagree.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

If we actually hit on the pick, then yes.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Wouldn't any player be worth a first round pick if we hit on them? (except special teams of course)
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Kenny Clark is considered one of the top three DT in the NFL. Mike Daniels can talk a good game. Mo Wilkerson has a few more years left (assuming he re-signs for a year). Oh, you said defensive front, meaning the front seven. Okay, I cannot disagree.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I mean defense front as the guys that actually line up on the line, opposite the OL, which is the DL and edge (3-4 OLB)

Front seven includes off the ball LBers such as Martinez... which I'm not saying is a need because Martinez, Burks and Josh Jones (whom I still think best fits in at coverage LB (at least so far)).

Beast said
I disagree. I believe it will be easy to resign Wilkerson if (Pettine is here) Clark, Daniels will be back healthy, Adams is a year better and we have some depth there. I agree that we need an edge guy, but IMO that is a lower priority than OL. Further, per my post, that is the next highest priority after Oline

Of course you disagree, I'm talking about reality, while you're talking about an augmented reality based on your assumptions...

The largest one seeming to be, there is no reason to be concerned with the future of the guys currently on the roster.

But the facts remain the the same
1) Wilkerson isn't signed for next year, and it doesn't matter how much of a lock someone is to be resigned (such as Rodgers) the fact is that it still NEEDS to be done... so it's still on the NEEDS list.

2) You're implying that Wilkerson will easy to sign anywhere Pettine is, clearly you don't remember why Wilkerson said he signed with the Packers (playoffs chances)

3) You're assuming Pettine is 100% lock to be back with the Packers (which I hope is true, but do any of know that?)

4) Daniels is going into a contract year, and resigning him also NEEDS to be done.... also GMs have to look more than just next year, which is where fans (including me) failed to see that Thompson often drafted a position that was a need the following year... not the current year, in case they lost said player.

Using your (extrmemely questionible) assumptions I can see how your completely ignoring the future... but the needs are for the future, not only last year. But your blaming the OL while ignoring the rest of the team which is what I don't understand.

I realize it isn't the popular thing to draft, or suggest highly drafting Olinemen, but some of the suggestions on drafts don't have any offensive linemen, esp in top rounds..SERIOUSLY..WHAT GAMES ARE YOU WATCHING.

Further, if you want 12 to return to the levels he was at, give him an above average Oline, so that he can count on stepping up into a solid pocket.

I love linemen! I love reality and value more though.... and you just seem to want linemen drafted high no matter the cost or the reality.... which is a horrible way to go.

You seem to be blinded to the rest.of the team... ingoring facts and ingoring the poor WR and QB play even when the OL was perfect on some plays...
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
When writing comments, many of us condition those comments with the words like “if.”

However, if those conditions are not met, then our comments would no doubt change.

Since the draft is likely to be held after many of these FAs are signed, the offensive line would become the top priority. IF the defensive lineman discussed are not re-signed (as was clearly stated the precondition of all of my previous comments) then I would agree with you.

Further, IF the team goes out and signs to offensive line standouts, then that ceases to be a priority.

Feel better?
beast
5 years ago

When writing comments, many of us condition those comments with the words like “if.”

However, if those conditions are not met, then our comments would no doubt change.

Since the draft is likely to be held after many of these FAs are signed, the offensive line would become the top priority. IF the defensive lineman discussed are not re-signed (as was clearly stated the precondition of all of my previous comments) then I would agree with you.

Further, IF the team goes out and signs to offensive line standouts, then that ceases to be a priority.

Feel better?

Why would I feel better? You just talked down to me, explaining if statement, which you clearly didn't use when disagring with me (other than Pettine's part) and then make up more excuses.

But back on subject of needs, I'm talking about off season needs, FA and draft.... I'm not sure, but I think you might be talking just draft needs? Which as you suggest are extremely reactive until you find out what you did in FA. Which is why I see needs as entire off-season needs, not one or the other.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
http://first-pick.com  to do the draft or is there another website?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
I thought the purpose of the thread was to predict or opine on what the draft needs were going to be and who we should draft. In formulating those prognostications we need to assume certain re-signings (or lack thereof) of the current team. That is all I’m saying.

I had conditioned my draft preferences based upon re-signing the bulk of our defensive line.

So if we want to change the thread to off-season needs, great. Further if we assume that no FAs are re-signed of the current roster, I would totally agree with your priorities.

Our lines are the biggest priority.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.