walleye
15 years ago
The Vikings have their new hired gun, and the Packers have their old reliable.

One of the more intriguing one-on-one matchups for Monday night's season opener between Minnesota and Green Bay will take place in quarterback Aaron Rodgers' blind spot. That's where the Vikings' key offseason acquisition, defensive end and pass rusher extraordinaire Jared Allen, will battle snap after snap against the Packers' Pro Bowl veteran left tackle, Chad Clifton.

With the Vikings determined to pressure and rattle Rodgers as much as possible in his first NFL start, a hefty burden, as usual, falls on Clifton to do what he did for Brett Favre's final eight years in Green Bay, and that's keep his quarterback from hearing footsteps behind him.

"They pay us to get in the quartertback's face, to hit him, and hopefully disrupt his timing," Allen said in a conference call with Wisconsin reporters this week. "If we can do that we feel we've got a great chance of winning. Obviously their job is to stop us from doing that, so whoever executes better is going to come out on top."

For Clifton, or any left tackle, facing the opposing team's top pass rusher is a weekly task. This matchup has garnered added attention, though, for two reasons - (1) because Allen comes into Monday night's opener as the reigning NFL sack champion, tallying 15 1/2 last year, and (2) because the Vikings made the Allen trade the talk of the offseason, surrendering a first-round and two third-round draft picks to Kansas City, plus signing Allen to a new contract that makes him the highest paid defensive player in the game.

All the hype doesn't have Clifton approaching the assignment any differently, however. The ninth-year veteran has spent the week getting the necessary rest and treatment for his chronically troubled knees, just like he would any week. And he's not about to do anything out of the ordinary on the field, either, having developed into one of the most consistent, if unsung, mainstays on the Green Bay offensive line.

"Same guy, same footwork, everything you teach," offensive line coach James Campen said. "It doesn't change just because you're going against a premier Pro Bowl guy or a name guy. It wouldn't change for him."

Allen and Clifton have met once before, last season when the Packers beat the Chiefs in Kansas City. Allen was limited to just three tackles and a half-sack in that game.

Allen had come into that week on a roll, racking up six sacks in the previous three contests. He moved around a bit, lining up at right end, left end, and some inside, but he wasn't the ever-present factor he was most of last season, when he posted seven multi-sack games.

"I thought Chad Clifton played well," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "It was a big game down there in Kansas City, tough environment to play, particularly for an offensive line with the crowd noise at Arrowhead Stadium."

This time they'll meet at Lambeau Field, so the crowd noise should be on Clifton's side. But the matchup features two other notable differences as well.

First, Allen has joined what already was a formidable defensive front in Minnesota. Defensive tackles Pat and Kevin Williams form one of the league's top inside tandems, and third-year defensive end Ray Edwards notched five sacks of his own last season rushing from the other side despite missing the final four games of the year due to a suspension.

Allen said because of the defenders around him, he doesn't anticipate lining up in as many different spots against the Packers this time around. Time will tell if that holds true, but a stronger surrounding cast also could have an impact on where the Packers offer help with an extra tight end or running back as a blocker.

"With Pat and Kevin inside, you can't double-team all of us, and if you do, then there's not that many people out running routes," Allen said. "But we all know it's going to be a challenge.

"Everybody is going to take their turn getting chipped and double-teamed. It's what we do. I'm hoping (a better overall unit) gives me more one-on-one opportunities, which should allow me to have more chances to win."

Advertisement

Second, Allen's target in the pocket this time around isn't a future Hall of Famer but a first-time starter whom Allen hopes won't be as savvy at getting rid of the ball quickly and dodging pressure. Again, time will tell on that, but Allen and his rushing mates clearly want to make Rodgers' night as miserable as they can.

"You never underestimate anybody, but it's on us to disrupt his timing, and we can't allow him to get into a rhythm and make those throws on time," Allen said. "Then hopefully we'll see if he has any Brett Favre-like plays in him.

"I'm going to watch more film this week, and try to get a feel for how they're trying to protect with Aaron back there."

Roadblock No. 1 wears No. 76, and if history is any indication, the Packers aren't likely to give Clifton, or fellow bookend Mark Tauscher at right tackle, much help in pass protection. Early last season, on his way to his first Pro Bowl appearance, Clifton shut out New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora and San Diego's Shawne Merriman in head-to-head competition, just doing what he does best.

"It wouldn't matter if it was you or me out there rushing, you have to work your fundamentals and your technique," Campen said. "That's ultimately what's going to win
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
NodakPaul
15 years ago
Just an FYI - you guys should really post links to the original source and not paste the whole article in here. Most likely, it is copyrighted, and reposting it in its entirety without permission can get you into some legal trouble.

I speak with experience. It has happened at PP.O.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Cheesey
15 years ago

Just an FYI - you guys should really post links to the original source and not paste the whole article in here. Most likely, it is copyrighted, and reposting it in its entirety without permission can get you into some legal trouble.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

(Yeah..........that happened when they tried to quote ME there!!!!)LOLOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
This will be quite a test for Clifton and his balky knees. I think he'll do okay. He did well against Allen in last year's game, but Allen still created a lot of havoc by running stunts. That's how he got his half-sack. So the interior O-linemen really need to step up. We can be pretty sure that Clifton and Tauscher will do okay in pass protection.
blank
gbpfan
15 years ago
i think what really needs to happen is for arod to hold his own,and not let those guys get to him,the rest will come i really think he will show what he is capable of doing,cliffton will give arod enough time and if need be put lumpkin in that guy can really push guys around
Jacob
15 years ago

"NodakPaul" wrote:

http://packers.com/news/stories/2008/09/05/2/ 

Here it is if you wanted it
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.