Zero2Cool
5 years ago
This is great. I love that the Packers actually posted this on their website.

https://www.packers.com/news/mt5-after-disappointing-end-to-season-focus-is-now-on-future 

A question from Schooney

Why do you think you are qualified to lead the search for a new head coach – to me it is an ego thing. You appear much more qualified to do ribbon cuttings.

Thanks, Schooney. I appreciate the question. First, this is a crucial hire for us and we will do everything we can to hire the right person. We’ve put together a search committee with several people with strong football backgrounds, including General Manager Brian Gutekunst and Executive Vice President and Director of Football Operations Russ Ball. Brian’s input will be important and I will not hire a head coach unless Brian is supportive of him. I was very fortunate to play for two Hall of Fame coaches during my eight-year NFL career, George Allen and Joe Gibbs. I was one of five captains during Coach Gibbs’ first four years and learned much while watching him build a championship team in Washington. Also, during my 17-year career as an athletic director at Colgate and Northwestern, I hired almost 50 head coaches, including three head football coaches.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
I love that Murphy answered him and left the full quote even though it was a cheap shot.
steveishere
5 years ago
I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and Stability.

Murphy has weakened both.

Those things don't matter.

When is the last time Murphy actually hired a HC?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
5 years ago

I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.
beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

If we're talking strictly football, then I'm guessing 2006, the Northwestern head coach.

Though I'd like to point out that hiring a coach recently sounds more like a bad thing... such as the Cardinals who hired a head coach just last year, and since that didn't work out well, they're doing it again. John Elways is looking for his 4th head coach in 9 years (to be fair Gary Kubiak's medical condition was something that couldn't be predicted).

But these teams certainly have recently experience, but that's not necessary a good thing, as.it means they failed during the last one.

As for as if Murphy is qualifed, on paper he certainly is (even more than Thompson), but qualified on paper doesn't nessary mean your gonna do a good job (which is what is most important to us).

I don't think any of us knows how he is gonna do, but he hasn't been given a shot to do this at the NFL level and he should be given a shot.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. lettering Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago

Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah. Ultimately, I think most of us KNOW very little. So all we have is feelings, perception, conjecture, and intuition. There is a lot of uncertainty and Murphy doesn't give some of us a lot of assurance. This is his chance though. The right moves could prolong the next chapter in the Packers pseudo-dynasty.
steveishere
5 years ago

I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and StABILITY.Stability

Murphy has weakend both.

Those things don't matter.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Uh, no it wasn't really a question and was aimed directly at the original post. Unless you are "Schooney" go ahead and get over yourself.
steveishere
5 years ago

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I mean we don't really know if anyone is going to do a good job. I just don't get where it's automatically assumed that Gute should be the one hiring a head coach. He's pretty much 100% a player talent scout, there is significantly less in his resume to point to being qualified to hire a coach than Murphy's. Id be fine if they gave full control over to Gute but I don't see any reason to bellyache about Murphy doing it either. This is under the assumption that Gute is fine with the current structure which I have no reason at this time to doubt. Ball can stay or go for all I care but if the Murphy/Gute relationship is solid It doesn't matter to me who has what responsibilities even if they are unconventional.

What is it you feel like Murphy mismanaged the last few years? He gave full control to the GM and didn't get involved at all and trusted the GM to manage it which he did poorly and forced Murphy's hand. Now Murphy is involved and you don't want him to be? I don't know if Murphy will make a good hire or not, my point is just that I haven't seen any evidence that would give me a reason to doubt him. Or did you not like the Gute hire or something?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.