Zero2Cool
5 years ago
This is great. I love that the Packers actually posted this on their website.

https://www.packers.com/news/mt5-after-disappointing-end-to-season-focus-is-now-on-future 

A question from Schooney

Why do you think you are qualified to lead the search for a new head coach – to me it is an ego thing. You appear much more qualified to do ribbon cuttings.

Thanks, Schooney. I appreciate the question. First, this is a crucial hire for us and we will do everything we can to hire the right person. We’ve put together a search committee with several people with strong football backgrounds, including General Manager Brian Gutekunst and Executive Vice President and Director of Football Operations Russ Ball. Brian’s input will be important and I will not hire a head coach unless Brian is supportive of him. I was very fortunate to play for two Hall of Fame coaches during my eight-year NFL career, George Allen and Joe Gibbs. I was one of five captains during Coach Gibbs’ first four years and learned much while watching him build a championship team in Washington. Also, during my 17-year career as an athletic director at Colgate and Northwestern, I hired almost 50 head coaches, including three head football coaches.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
I love that Murphy answered him and left the full quote even though it was a cheap shot.
steveishere
5 years ago
I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and Stability.

Murphy has weakened both.

Those things don't matter.

When is the last time Murphy actually hired a HC?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
5 years ago

I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.
beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

If we're talking strictly football, then I'm guessing 2006, the Northwestern head coach.

Though I'd like to point out that hiring a coach recently sounds more like a bad thing... such as the Cardinals who hired a head coach just last year, and since that didn't work out well, they're doing it again. John Elways is looking for his 4th head coach in 9 years (to be fair Gary Kubiak's medical condition was something that couldn't be predicted).

But these teams certainly have recently experience, but that's not necessary a good thing, as.it means they failed during the last one.

As for as if Murphy is qualifed, on paper he certainly is (even more than Thompson), but qualified on paper doesn't nessary mean your gonna do a good job (which is what is most important to us).

I don't think any of us knows how he is gonna do, but he hasn't been given a shot to do this at the NFL level and he should be given a shot.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. lettering Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago

Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah. Ultimately, I think most of us KNOW very little. So all we have is feelings, perception, conjecture, and intuition. There is a lot of uncertainty and Murphy doesn't give some of us a lot of assurance. This is his chance though. The right moves could prolong the next chapter in the Packers pseudo-dynasty.
steveishere
5 years ago

I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and StABILITY.Stability

Murphy has weakend both.

Those things don't matter.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Uh, no it wasn't really a question and was aimed directly at the original post. Unless you are "Schooney" go ahead and get over yourself.
steveishere
5 years ago

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I mean we don't really know if anyone is going to do a good job. I just don't get where it's automatically assumed that Gute should be the one hiring a head coach. He's pretty much 100% a player talent scout, there is significantly less in his resume to point to being qualified to hire a coach than Murphy's. Id be fine if they gave full control over to Gute but I don't see any reason to bellyache about Murphy doing it either. This is under the assumption that Gute is fine with the current structure which I have no reason at this time to doubt. Ball can stay or go for all I care but if the Murphy/Gute relationship is solid It doesn't matter to me who has what responsibilities even if they are unconventional.

What is it you feel like Murphy mismanaged the last few years? He gave full control to the GM and didn't get involved at all and trusted the GM to manage it which he did poorly and forced Murphy's hand. Now Murphy is involved and you don't want him to be? I don't know if Murphy will make a good hire or not, my point is just that I haven't seen any evidence that would give me a reason to doubt him. Or did you not like the Gute hire or something?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (6h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (12h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.