Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 10:32:05 AM(UTC)
This is great. I love that the Packers actually posted this on their website.

https://www.packers.com/...n-focus-is-now-on-future

Quote:
A question from Schooney

Why do you think you are qualified to lead the search for a new head coach – to me it is an ego thing. You appear much more qualified to do ribbon cuttings.

Thanks, Schooney. I appreciate the question. First, this is a crucial hire for us and we will do everything we can to hire the right person. We’ve put together a search committee with several people with strong football backgrounds, including General Manager Brian Gutekunst and Executive Vice President and Director of Football Operations Russ Ball. Brian’s input will be important and I will not hire a head coach unless Brian is supportive of him. I was very fortunate to play for two Hall of Fame coaches during my eight-year NFL career, George Allen and Joe Gibbs. I was one of five captains during Coach Gibbs’ first four years and learned much while watching him build a championship team in Washington. Also, during my 17-year career as an athletic director at Colgate and Northwestern, I hired almost 50 head coaches, including three head football coaches.

gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 10:47:25 AM(UTC)
I love that Murphy answered him and left the full quote even though it was a cheap shot.
steveishere  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 2:08:59 PM(UTC)
I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.
buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:23:37 PM(UTC)
I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and Stability.

Murphy has weakened both.

Those things don't matter.

When is the last time Murphy actually hired a HC?

Updated by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:00:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DoddPower  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 4:45:49 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I would love to see the comparison of packers fans who think Murphy is "unqualified" and Packers fans who actually know Murphy's qualifications.

Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.

Updated by user Saturday, January 5, 2019 5:42:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

beast  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 5:02:22 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

If we're talking strictly football, then I'm guessing 2006, the Northwestern head coach.

Though I'd like to point out that hiring a coach recently sounds more like a bad thing... such as the Cardinals who hired a head coach just last year, and since that didn't work out well, they're doing it again. John Elways is looking for his 4th head coach in 9 years (to be fair Gary Kubiak's medical condition was something that couldn't be predicted).

But these teams certainly have recently experience, but that's not necessary a good thing, as.it means they failed during the last one.

As for as if Murphy is qualifed, on paper he certainly is (even more than Thompson), but qualified on paper doesn't nessary mean your gonna do a good job (which is what is most important to us).

I don't think any of us knows how he is gonna do, but he hasn't been given a shot to do this at the NFL level and he should be given a shot.
beast  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 5:15:01 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. lettering Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

Really, most of my issues with Murphy come from the vibe he gives me watching his press conferences. Add that to the past few years which I think were mismanaged (or at the very least, multiple missed opportunities), and it simply doesn't inspire much confidence, imo. Obviously the next few years will likely tell the story, so there's no way to know much of anything at this point. It's all feelings and talk, and there isn't a right or wrong answer either way. We'll see.

I must admit I am mostly satisfied with the interview list to-date. Although just like only calling free agents doesn't ultimately mean anything, interviews won't mean anything if a bad hire is ultimately made.

I suppose I would say that Murphy has more to prove than earned benefit of the doubt. I hope he proves to be the next great leader.

Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.
DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 5:41:30 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Great post that I 99% agree with!

I guess I don't understand Ball's role with the Packers, or why he got the special treatment that he couldn't be fired by the GM, or why he's getting a say in the head coach search, so I certainly wouldn't want him in the lead position.

Also the all the rumors about Ball potential becoming the GM all had a negative.vibe to them, so him in control gives me a negative vibe.... but outside of contracts, I really don't have a clue what he does.

Yeah. Ultimately, I think most of us KNOW very little. So all we have is feelings, perception, conjecture, and intuition. There is a lot of uncertainty and Murphy doesn't give some of us a lot of assurance. This is his chance though. The right moves could prolong the next chapter in the Packers pseudo-dynasty.
steveishere  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:27:02 PM(UTC)
I guess that question is aimed right at me.

Show me where I said Murphy is not qualified.

Organizational Structure and StABILITY.Stability

Murphy has weakend both.

Those things don't matter.

Uh, no it wasn't really a question and was aimed directly at the original post. Unless you are "Schooney" go ahead and get over yourself.
steveishere  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:39:20 PM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Even if he's technically qualified, that doesn't mean he's going to do a good job with this hire, or that he's handling it right to begin with (such as leading the effort vs. letting Gute and Ball lead, with input from him). I don't necessarily doubt his qualifications. He definitely has some experience and obviously did things to get where he is today. But how much of his hiring record has been in the NFL? How much of the Green Bay Packers football operational success and failures are attributable to him? That's really what matters at this point, not his previous qualifications or a perceived lack thereof. These are questions that probably can't be easily answered, but that could explain some of our uncomfortable perceptions from Murphy.

I mean we don't really know if anyone is going to do a good job. I just don't get where it's automatically assumed that Gute should be the one hiring a head coach. He's pretty much 100% a player talent scout, there is significantly less in his resume to point to being qualified to hire a coach than Murphy's. Id be fine if they gave full control over to Gute but I don't see any reason to bellyache about Murphy doing it either. This is under the assumption that Gute is fine with the current structure which I have no reason at this time to doubt. Ball can stay or go for all I care but if the Murphy/Gute relationship is solid It doesn't matter to me who has what responsibilities even if they are unconventional.

What is it you feel like Murphy mismanaged the last few years? He gave full control to the GM and didn't get involved at all and trusted the GM to manage it which he did poorly and forced Murphy's hand. Now Murphy is involved and you don't want him to be? I don't know if Murphy will make a good hire or not, my point is just that I haven't seen any evidence that would give me a reason to doubt him. Or did you not like the Gute hire or something?
go.pack.go.  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 3:24:07 AM(UTC)
What makes anybody think that Gutekunst is more “qualified” to hire a HC over Murphy? If anything, Murphy is way more “qualified”.
buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:25:07 PM(UTC)
I

What is it you feel like Murphy mismanaged the last few years? He gave full control to the GM and didn't get involved at all and trusted the GM to manage it which he did poorly and forced Murphy's hand. Now Murphy is involved and you don't want him to be? I don't know if Murphy will make a good hire or not, my point is just that I haven't seen any evidence that would give me a reason to doubt him. Or did you not like the Gute hire or something?

Murphy didn't mismanage before last year because he had no part in managing The Team.

Explain to me how making the playoffs 8 years in a row including going to The NFC Championship game in 2016, even though injuries had decimated the DB's and WR's.

Then in 2017 the team started 4-1 and was being talked about as a definite Super Bowl threat until Aaron Rodgers went down.

Mismanagement is deciding it was time to move Ted Thompson out(which was right), then not finishing the job.
Murphy put the team in flux for 2018.
He Mis-Managed the resturcure.
DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:36:35 PM(UTC)
I mean we don't really know if anyone is going to do a good job. I just don't get where it's automatically assumed that Gute should be the one hiring a head coach. He's pretty much 100% a player talent scout, there is significantly less in his resume to point to being qualified to hire a coach than Murphy's. Id be fine if they gave full control over to Gute but I don't see any reason to bellyache about Murphy doing it either. This is under the assumption that Gute is fine with the current structure which I have no reason at this time to doubt. Ball can stay or go for all I care but if the Murphy/Gute relationship is solid It doesn't matter to me who has what responsibilities even if they are unconventional.

I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that Murphy should have my confidence either. I remember in his press conference even Murphy stated that he became too distant from the franchise and let things go for too long. The Packers became very stale and it was obvious that things weren't going to change until someone outside of Thompson, McCarthy, Dom Capers, etc. stepped in, which took too long. They did a half-ass house cleaning this off season that basically resulted in a wasted season in 2018 and likely tarnished the Packers reputation to some extent, or at least suggested some level of disorganized management. Add those factors to my perception of disorganized strategic thinking from listening to his public words, lack of many tangible NFL hires, and there's not much there to inspire confidence.

Even if I don't yet have much faith in Murphy, like it or not, the buck stops with him. Until someone else assumes his role, I'm going to hold him ultimately responsible, which to be fair, he has indicated that he is several times recently. I would have preferred he stepped in enough to set the course on the right ship, and then return to more of a higher level oversight role rather than a direct nuanced decision maker.

As I said, he has more to prove than he has earned benefit of the doubt.

As for Gute, he comes across as more professional and seems to have more coherent strategic thought processes. That may not be true at all, but without having more insider information, I don't have much to go off of. He did get interest from other teams, as well. Would I have more confidence in someone like John Dorsey that has a proven track record? Absolutely. But the Packers don't have John Dorsey or someone similar. So my hopes are left with some combination of Gute, Murphy, and I guess Ball.

I like the General Manager having the final decision and the "owner" or CEO being more of a business operations executive. With that, Murphy could still have input, but I prefer picking a General Manager that is capable of making these decisions. You're right, Gute may suck too, but for whatever reason, fair or not, I have a little more faith in him.

I admit I was happy with the hire of Mitt Hendrickson, which I believe was mostly the work of Gute. That earned some credit for me. I'd be even more happy to see someone like Reggie McKenzie and/or even Scot McCloughan back in the front office to provide more proven NFL management experience.

I suppose one thing that might help me is to examine Mark Murphy's hiring history in the NFL. He obviously has college experience, but I could be better educated of his NFL football operational successes, rather than business or financial decisions, such as Titletown. Someone competent needs to manage those things, but I'm not sure that same person should also be wearing multiple hats.

With all that said, so far so good with the interviews. I hope they make a good decision, regardless of how the decision is made, because ultimately, that's all that matters.

Updated by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:45:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 7:25:24 AM(UTC)
Something to read.
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:12:59 PM(UTC)
No kidding, jeesh, shuddup!
buckeyepackfan  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:01:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
No kidding, jeesh, shuddup!

I wasn't going to say anything, but since someone else noticed.

Time for Mark to go back to "ribbon cutting".
The guy is great as CEO, let Gutekunst and Lafleur take care of the football team.
Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:29:44 PM(UTC)
I wasn't going to say anything, but since someone else noticed.

Time for Mark to go back to "ribbon cutting".
The guy is great as CEO, let Gutekunst and Lafleur take care of the football team.

Rss Feed