Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
musccy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:32:12 PM(UTC)
LaFleur PC

Not sure if others saw this, but thoughts?

Personally, I've been intrigued by the potential, but the PC worries me. The HC needs to be a strong leader, be demanding of men, set a tone. He came across as nervous, unsure, and lacking vision. I was especially concerned about his response to the question about the defensive/ST philosophy.

I get it's just a PC and he hadn't even met his new bosses 96 hours ago...but he still came across as very meek, a coordinator/position coach, but not an authoritative leader.
go.pack.go.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:02:45 PM(UTC)
I think naturally he is a bit nervous, which I can understand. He’s not used to media attention or press conferences. He’s gotta get used to answering questions on the fly, and honestly I thought he did pretty good for his first time.

I also liked his comments when asked about Aaron Rodgers. I think the opposite of what many are thinking. I really believe that they’re going to have a great bond & I think if we can add a couple key pieces on offense (OL, WR) then we are going to have an explosive, fun to watch offense.
gbguy20  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:03:53 PM(UTC)
Didn't watch it but I definitely didn't get that vibe while following it on twitter. And by that I mean no one on twitter shared your complaints.
beast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:04:18 PM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
it's just a PC

You summed up my thoughts very well...

I honestly don't understand why everyone is wanting him to be some super assertive demanding guy when he hasn't even gotten to chance to talk with his DC yet, to ask him if he's staying... much less a chance to address the team...

If I saw the super assertive crazy demanding guy on tv, weeks or months before I got to meet him, it might turn me off as a player...

By all accounts of the people that have actually worked with him or know him... players aren't going to be having it easy or a free ride.

Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:43:14 PM(UTC)
It's funny, when I was listening to it, I thought, yep, dumbass fans gonna cry about his press conference etiquette as if they know something. Folks on twitter didn't disappoint.

If I had to give my amateur rating of the press conference...
Brian sounds most astute and seasoned. I could listen to him quite easily.
Matt came off as someone genuinely excited and at times was struggling to find the right words, I don't fault him for it at all.
Mark took the first like 14 minutes to ramble on an on and then kept throwing his "supporting" comments as if he reads fans comments (he does) and felt he needed to defend his decision. Why tell us the process of hiring the coach? Why do we (or the media) care? You usually only go to those lengths if you are defending yourself. And personally, if you have to go out of your way to defend yourself, it makes me ask ... are you trying to convince us, or yourself?

I think if we're gonna judge the coach on his first press conference, we're kind of stupid and petty. I want to see how he handles the room after a loss, that's going to tell us a lot about him relatively speaking compared to the first press conference.

nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:49:58 PM(UTC)
Murphy still looks like Alfred E Neuman, but he doesn't come across as as much of a bumbler here as he did when they shitcanned Ted.
nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:54:45 PM(UTC)
If Aaron Rodgers is Superman, this guy is Jimmy. Laugh
sschind  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:21:45 PM(UTC)
It was an introductory press conference and was pretty much exactly as I expected it to be. Nothing special. Nothing to get worked up over and nothing to get excited about.

On Murphy's contribution- As expected. Thanks to everyone involved, we looked far and wide, Matt blew us away, we knew he was our guy, we are very excited to move forward etc. etc.

Gute- same thing. Look forward to working with him, know he will bring back the winning tradition, will get the most out of our guys

LaFleur- Nervous but expected. Seemed humble and truly grateful to get the job. Look forward to meeting everyone, will hold them accountable, get back to winning, its a dream job yada yada yada.

I don't want to sound harsh but like I said what was there to expect. You wanted a detailed plan on how he expected to beat the Bears defense in their first game?

LaFleur came off as sincere and respectful and appreciative not only to Murphy, Gute and the Packers but to everyone he ever was associated with. Some guys just rub you the wrong way from the start but I didn't get that vibe from him. Sure he was nervous but who wouldn't be. Didn't come off as too rah rah or too preachy.

My first impression is that I am going to like him. Will he be a good coach? That remains to be seen but anyone who went into this with any preconceived notions either way and had them either confirmed or dispelled sure saw a hell of a lot more than I did.

I'm excited to see what the change will bring on the field and I am hopeful that he can get us back to the Super Bowl and bring the Lombardi trophy home but I felt pretty much the exact same way before I watched the press conference.
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:31:11 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
It was an introductory press conference and was pretty much exactly as I expected it to be. Nothing special. Nothing to get worked up over and nothing to get excited about.

On Murphy's contribution- As expected. Thanks to everyone involved, we looked far and wide, Matt blew us away, we knew he was our guy, we are very excited to move forward etc. etc.

Gute- same thing. Look forward to working with him, know he will bring back the winning tradition, will get the most out of our guys

LaFleur- Nervous but expected. Seemed humble and truly grateful to get the job. Look forward to meeting everyone, will hold them accountable, get back to winning, its a dream job yada yada yada.

I don't want to sound harsh but like I said what was there to expect. You wanted a detailed plan on how he expected to beat the Bears defense in their first game?

LaFleur came off as sincere and respectful and appreciative not only to Murphy, Gute and the Packers but to everyone he ever was associated with. Some guys just rub you the wrong way from the start but I didn't get that vibe from him. Sure he was nervous but who wouldn't be. Didn't come off as too rah rah or too preachy.

My first impression is that I am going to like him. Will he be a good coach? That remains to be seen but anyone who went into this with any preconceived notions either way and had them either confirmed or dispelled sure saw a hell of a lot more than I did.

I'm excited to see what the change will bring on the field and I am hopeful that he can get us back to the Super Bowl and bring the Lombardi trophy home but I felt pretty much the exact same way before I watched the press conference.

I didn't think he came across as sincere. He kind of came across as inauthentic to me. I mean, can he hit that "family values" talking point a little harder? lol

I think he's gonna be fine, hope he threepeats. Just sayin. Probably just nervous.

EDIT: He gets better as the PC goes on. Murphy's not bad either. I think Gute really has some potential to show some leadership on this team. He seems to have his head on his shoulders.

My first impression of Matt is that his danger is the "smartest guy in the room" complex. If he can avoid that and just get it done, he'll go very far.
Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:21:05 PM(UTC)
Dulak  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:50:24 AM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
LaFleur PC

Not sure if others saw this, but thoughts?

Personally, I've been intrigued by the potential, but the PC worries me. The HC needs to be a strong leader, be demanding of men, set a tone. He came across as nervous, unsure, and lacking vision. I was especially concerned about his response to the question about the defensive/ST philosophy.

I get it's just a PC and he hadn't even met his new bosses 96 hours ago...but he still came across as very meek, a coordinator/position coach, but not an authoritative leader.

Problem with hiring a young guy that has never been a HC before. Teams might want the next Mcvay - but just because he is young and he was 'associated' with mcvay doesnt mean he will be mcvay.

Perhaps the reason why belichick does so well compared to his underlings is #1 he commands respect from his vast knowledge and experience and he knows what he is doing.

I havnt seen the press conference yet but will check it out.

I find it really strange in the NFL when it comes to practically anything - writers or people talking about things seem to try to link anything to make the it appear that something good will happen like our new coach - so he worked with mcvay so therefor we will get as many wins as him.

Or last year before the season started - where was the packers situated in the 'power rankings' because this this or that? and where were we really? ...

anyways - Im a bit skeptical when it comes to someone replacing MMc ... granted I felt a bit that way with capers too and well Im glad we changed.

I hope Matt LaFleur does well obviously its just I dont share all this optimism because x y z in his past ...

- edit - watched the pc - Im glad Mark and Brian feel quite confident they got the right guy; and after watching their press conference looks like the got the right guy out of whom they interviewed. I know many said Josh Mcdaniels was the top candidate - from what I read Josh's family played a roll in his decision to dis the colts job; and I think the packers were looking for a guy where his family was supportive.

I thought Matt LaFleur did a nice job with the PC - yes perhaps a bit on the inexperienced side but hey seems like a likable guy.

Updated by user Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:06:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:52:01 AM(UTC)
Dulak said: Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the reason why belichick does so well compared to his underlings is #1 he commands respect from his vast knowledge and experience and he knows what he is doing.

Bellichick does so well because he coaches his coaches.
sschind  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:31:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
I didn't think he came across as sincere. He kind of came across as inauthentic to me. I mean, can he hit that "family values" talking point a little harder? lol

I think he's gonna be fine, hope he threepeats. Just sayin. Probably just nervous.

EDIT: He gets better as the PC goes on. Murphy's not bad either. I think Gute really has some potential to show some leadership on this team. He seems to have his head on his shoulders.

My first impression of Matt is that his danger is the "smartest guy in the room" complex. If he can avoid that and just get it done, he'll go very far.

You are right on the family values thing but since he started out with that I kind of give him a pass because he was more than likely pretty nervous and that is understandable. Every article you read about him being hired mentions his meteoric rise or the improbable time frame he took to become a HC. I hope he never comes out and says he didn't expect to get the job but it wouldn't surprise me in the least looking at this as a practice interview for later on in his career. Not that he didn't take it seriously because he obviously did just that he may not have expected to get the job.
Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:15:56 AM(UTC)
The more I hear clips, the less confident I am in our new head coach. I am one to always try an give benefit of doubt and be positive, but something just feels off. I listen to other head coaches and they have a sense of command about them where Matt seems like he's walking on eggshells. I really need to hear more from Matt to get this first impression erased as quickly as possible. As of now, I'm not really excited to see the Packers play.

It's just a lot of little things ... like the 'I fully intend on calling the plays' and the numerous times that he said something and looked over at Brian and Mark as if to ask "is this ok to say?" and his comments about his chat with Aaron Rodgers.

I am certainly open to be swayed ... but as of now ... I'm just not that confident.
buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:55:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Bellichick does so well because he coaches his coaches.

Great you mentioned Bellichick, I'm hoping that is the kind of press conferences we get from Lefleur once April 1st comes around.

I don't need to know all the inside information that is being spewed about now by the CEO.

Do the fluff, throw out a whole lot of missinformation and put his plan together.

We as fans don't need to know everything!
porky88  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 8:41:25 AM(UTC)
I don’t care about how he sounds in a press conference. Can he get results on the field? By all accounts, LaFleur was on his way to becoming a head coach, but I do fear that teams are hiring guys before they are ready in hope of finding the next Sean McVay. One year of play-calling worries me, but I do like how he cut his teeth under the Shanahan’s.
KRK  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:03:12 AM(UTC)
Handling the press and press conferences are acquired skills, and the kid doesn't yet have them yet because he hasn't had to have them.

Per previous posters, I couldn't care less if he is somewhat ambiguous about his answers...maybe the man actually thinks about things before making decisions. And perhaps he doesn't make knee jerk decisions just to sound authoritative, macho, or tough.

Can he get a staff that coaches and implements his vision....can he get players to play when it counts....we shall see.
Rss Feed