beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
The NFL is strongly trying to get all 32 team to have played a game in London. And all but 3 teams have... the Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers and Houston Texans.

The Packers haven't had a London game because there is no way in hell any team, under normal circumstances, would willingly give up a home game with how well the Packers fans travel (and therefore spend money)... but it might finally happen next season.

The NFL's two main ways of getting teams to London have been the Jaguars (who want to play in London as they seem to be considering a potential move to London) and the unusual circumstances of teams that are relocating and don't have their new stadium ready yet (such as Chargers, Rams and Raiders, whose new stadiums are expected to be ready to go in 2020).

So why could 2019 be the year the Packers finally play in London? Because they're scheduled to face not one but two of these teams (Chargers and Raiders).

The Raiders don't currently have a stadium contract signed for next season as their new stadium isn't ready and their old one is playing hardball since it's the last time they'll be getting money from the Raiders, so depending on what arrangement the Raiders have set up, this could be a great game for the NFL to move to London.

Meanwhile the Chargers are playing home games in a 27,000 capacity soccer stadium while their new stadium is being built. The Packers fans normally travel to warm areas Packers games (especially in winter) in huge flocks... 27,000 seats simply isn't enough for the crowd they could get and maximuming the games potential crowd. Meanwhile, NFL's 2018 London Games achieved an average attendance of 85,031 including a record attendance of 85,870 to watch the Eagles/Jaguars game.

As we all know the NFL likes setting and breaking records, and with the Packers fans that travel so well, the NFL will probably try to break the London game attendance record. So I'm fully expecting the Packers to have a London game next year, and I'm thinking it will be Packers vs Chargers.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago
Good post, beast. I thought about most of this, as well, as I'm 100% going if the Packers come to London. Can't wait for them to announce what teams are playing in London, but I can't imagine the wait will be much longer, as they did so on january 11th the last two years.

I thought the Chargers would be the team, as well. Mainly because I figured the NFL would send the Raiders to Mexico City to make up for the fiasco this year. There's some rumours about the Steelers playing the Chargers in Mexico, though.

Maybe we're playing the Raiders, althought I do wonder why you'd want two stadium filling fanbases play eachother. Then again, it doesn't really matter who's playing who in London, as it consistently draws big crowds. Even the stinkers.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
It will be a great chance for Rocky to see a game. Hurrah! I still hate the idea.

Edit- I see Rocky just weighed in on this as I was typing. Nice.
I think Dulak is in England too. Good chance for him to see a game too.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
5 years ago

The NFL is strongly trying to get all 32 team to have played a game in London. And all but 3 teams have... the Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers and Houston Texans.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I thought the Chargers would be the team, as well. Mainly because I figured the NFL would send the Raiders to Mexico City to make up for the fiasco this year. There's some rumours about the Steelers playing the Chargers in Mexico, though.

Maybe we're playing the Raiders, althought I do wonder why you'd want two stadium filling fanbases play eachother. Then again, it doesn't really matter who's playing who in London, as it consistently draws big crowds. Even the stinkers.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Thanks for the info Rockmolder, if that's the case then maybe the Packers aren't going to London after all, because

It's Chargers or nothing for Packers international games in 2019 (unless NFL changes home games, which they haven't done before).

The NFL has announced that there will be four London games and five international games, including the 5 teams giving up a home game... "the Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Rams, Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers will each stage a home game outside the United States next season ".

The Packers play the Raiders and Chargers, but the Raiders game is in Green Bay. To go with what Rockmolder heard, the Chargers host the Steelers and Packers, so it could be either one, and the travel businesses might have some insider info that it's the Steelers.

The Panthers have a road game against the Bucs. The Texans have road games against the Bucs, Chargers and Jaguars... so they potential could have their first London game.

One reason I thought they would do it in 2019 was because the Chargers, Rams and Raiders were suppose to get their full time stadiums in 2020.... but if the Bucs are giving up games, the Packers do have an away game against the Bucs in 2020 (though I think their owners would hate giving up a road game against the Packers, especially since Packers winter time Florida games seem to be HUGE sells!
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
My son and his wife are in London and he would go crazy if they came...thanks for the post
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
gbguy20
5 years ago
There's a few fans I'd like to leave in London.
gbguy20
5 years ago
Also there is absolutely no way the jags move there until we figure out how to teleport.

Think of all the logistics and BS involved in making that work. Not only for them, but the league and everyone who would have to play them. Imagine getting drafted by a team and suddenly you have to move to London.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Also there is absolutely no way the jags move there until we figure out how to teleport.

Think of all the logistics and BS involved in making that work. Not only for them, but the league and everyone who would have to play them. Imagine getting drafted by a team and suddenly you have to move to London.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Talk about a Brexit nightmare.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm pretty sure that's what Baltimore used to say about the Colts leaving the city... and then the owner got a new place and the move happened... same with the Rams recent....

And Jaguars owner Shad Khan offered a $800 million deal to buy Wembley stadium in London , though he withdrew the last week before an important vote, because the idea of the idea of selling the National Stadium became divisive  (probably especially since Khan is a foreigner)... and because informal polling seemed to suggest he would get a "slim majority", not the "conclusive margin" that would be needed for the Football (Soccer) Association’s Chariman wanted to order to approve the sale.

I could be completely wrong on this... but I don't think he attempted to spend $800 million, so his team could play only one game there a year, especially since they're the team that's most willing to play there and promote the most....

The biggest problem in making it all work would be the taxes... because if this link is correct, the UK chargers 45% income tax rate of pay over £150,000 ($186,327.46)  so no FAs would willing go there... but would the NFL (who's been talking about attempting to get in new major market, including getting teams there for years) been willing to make some adjustment, in attempt to make the salary equal? I don't know... but I'm guessing Jaguars owner Shad Khan thinks he knows.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
I've heard the idea of keeping the teams "home" and facilities in jax but still playing 4-8 games in London.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.