Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Free Agency is shark invested water. We should stay away. Draft and Develop!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That will get you fired!
šŸ˜
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
This forum is about ideas and a draft board changes tremendously contingent up FA signings. All of us agree with in OL and DL (incl. edge) help. Thus, naming names is essential or we are just twiddling our thumbs.
Beast said

I think sacks are a bit over rated. Pressure is just as important. Granted, most of your guys getting lots of sacks also generate....

SPOT ON. It is about team sacks and pressures. If one guy on the edge doesn't do his job, but gets lots of sacks, it hurts overall defensive performance.
Back to naming names...
[list][*]Preston Smith seems like he could be a reasonably low cost, good value pick-up. He is young, could start/rotate in. Kirk Olivadotti knows him and if he likes him, expect the Packers will make a strong effort to land him IMO[/list] [list][*]Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now[/list]
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Then why the hell are you bitching at us to post names if you fucking won't? You're being a hypocrite!

Rockmolder was extremely nice going out of his way to get you a link and indulge you TWICE... and you blew him off!

Originally Posted by: beast 

I'm not bothered, although I don't know why you'd do your best to steer a discussion in a certain way if you have zero intention of joining in.

Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now

Good points. I agree that he's shown he can play, that $ 11.1 million in dead cap is way too much when he's hitting for $ 14.4 when on the roster and that the time off may have been good for him.

I don't know if you can count on him, though. I'd treat him like a bonus if he does produce, but go into the draft and free agency like you have a gap to fill.
sschind
5 years ago

That will get you fired!
šŸ˜

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yeah, but not for a long time.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

To a certain degree yes... or just be careful when you talk your Gamble's.

Beast said SPOT ON.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Thanks, but I think that's sschind's comment

That's the main reason I think sacks are a bit over rated. Pressure is just as important.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

IMO[/list] [list]

• Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now[/list]

• I don't think the $24 million you would save by cutting Perry before the 3rd day of the new league year should be considered very little...
    Yes you would only save $3 million in 2019 cap, but $21 million over the next two years... that's because all the dead cap space for the three years attacks the first year only (unless you use the post June designation).

So if they release Perry before his bonus on the 3rd day of the new year, Packers can save $24 million over 3 years... Next year I believe they can save $14 million over two years.

I'm not bothered, although I don't know why you'd do your best to steer a discussion in a certain way if you have zero intention of joining in.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I probably over reacted but I HATE seeing nice people jerked around... and he just blew you off when you gave him respect of listening and willing to follow him.

UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    I find the cap rules confusing, so I am not looking for an argument, but I would love an explanation. So if someone could talk to me like I'm ignorant, but not stupid, I would appreciate it. šŸ˜ I am guessing others would as well.
    Beast said:

So if they release Perry before his bonus on the 3rd day of the new year, Packers can save $24 million over 3 years... Next year I believe they can save $14 million over two years.

So here is my questions predicated on my understanding (which may not be correct):
    [list]
  • If they chose to keep Perry, what is the incremental cap hit to keeping him this year?[/list][list][*]If they cut him I am assuming they could not use the (dead cap) money on others...Correct?[list][*]When you say they save $24mm, I had thought they couldn't spend the money on others...is this assumption correct?[/list]
  • The net of my rationale, which may not have been correct, was that if (i) they only had to spend an additional $3mm AND (ii) they could just as easily cut him after next year if he weren't working out AND (iii) they couldn't spend the money on anyone else then I think they should take the risk.
    beast
    • beast
    • Select Member Topic Starter
    5 years ago

I find the cap rules confusing, so I am not looking for an argument, but I would love an explanation. So if someone could talk to me like I'm ignorant, but not stupid, I would appreciate it. šŸ˜ I am guessing others would as well.

I've never been the best at explaining things (even when I know them extremely well), but I'll surely give it a shot, but wait to start off by noting a couple of things...

The NFL cap is confusing for two main reasons
    1) It's the NFL's own version of an single year accounting system (when normally people are used to Cash basis system and multiple years)

2) The Media, fans, etc, bounce back and forth between the cap accounting system, and the normal cash basis system that we're used to, and that just add a hell lot of confusion to it, as you have to then break them apart in your mind.

I would strongly encourage anyone trying to understand NFL contracts, to mainly follow the money (and averages), and ignore the cap as much as possible... as it's a misleading, complex, 1 year accounting system, that all evens out at the end of players contract, but not during it.... so instead of following the accounting, FOLLOW THE MONEY!

So here is my questions predicated on my understanding (which may not be correct):
    [list]

• If they chose to keep Perry, what is the incremental cap hit to keeping him this year?[/list]
  • [list]
  • If they cut him I am assuming they could not use the (dead cap) money on others...Correct?
  • [list]
  • When you say they save $24mm, I had thought they couldn't spend the money on others...is this assumption correct?[/list]
  • The net of my rationale, which may not have been correct, was that if (i) they only had to spend an additional $3mm AND (ii) they could just as easily cut him after next year if he weren't working out AND (iii) they couldn't spend the money on anyone else then I think they should take the risk.

Perry's contract on spotrac
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/ 

1) That wording is confusing because you're mixing the multiple year concept (incremental) with the single year account system term (cap hit)... so I would prefer to the term incremental cost hit (the cost of keeping Perry another year is) the amount of cash he's actually earning this year (yearly earning).. which is $10,737,500 (located on the very far right on spotrac contract).

That yearly earning (unearned so far), plus signing bonus average (earned already) is what equals the single year cap hit.... so most of the time people are using the cap hit as far as what a guy is going to make/cost the team, but that's mistaken because that signing bonus average makes the cap number misleading about what they're actually earning that year.

2) Correct, dead money is dead (unusable)... actually dead money is usually the players signing bonus money that was paid to them when they signed the contract... so it's already in the players bank account... so teams can't use it, because it's already been used.

The reason they spread it over the first 5 years of a players contract is because the accounting system is a one year system, and teams would be over the limit if they had to account for the entire signing bonus in a single year. Example, Aaron Rodgers cap hit would be $66.9 million in 2018 (37.75% of the entire cap) if teams were forced to account for it all in the season they got it... so instead teams spread it over 5 years to give them some balance on the single year accounting system. So instead the Packers cap hit on Rodgers is only $20.9 million in 2018 and the rest is spread out on the next four years.

3) No, the $24 million I'm talking about is LIVE money savings... and my math is wrong... as I freaking screwed up and mixed the accounting system (of saving $3 million next year) and the cash system (of saving $21 million over the last two years)... it's so freaking easy to do...

If I'm doing this correctly now it's actually more than $24 million... if they cut Perry before the $4.8M roster bonus is due on (3/15/2019), then the Packers actually save $31.7375 million over the next three years (I think, my brain is staying to fry from looking at this too much)

But Cash it's simply... Perry's Yearly Salary is $10,737,500 + $10.6 + $10.4 = $31.7375

Cap is more complex... but the Cap Hits are $14.4375 + $14.3 + $14.1 = $42.8375 MINUS the one year Dead Cap hit of $11.1 and you also get $31.7375.... so the cash and accounting balance... (but only $14.4375 minus the $11.1 = $3.3375 in the first year, 2019).

Just following the cash and average salary is so much easy than paying attention to the cap. Sorry I screwed up mixed the Accounting and Cash with the $24 šŸ˜ž ... it's so easy to do... I hope this helped some in your understanding contracts a bit better... though not completely I'm sure as it is confusing.
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    Beast....sincere thanks....a truly helpful and excellent post.
    That really changes my opinion on Perry....his health history may not merit the risk. I hope they could restructure him as I think he is a really good player, if healthy.
    Now go watch the excellent Saints Rams game
    Rockmolder
    5 years ago
    Looks like pretty much everyone who posted in this thread is a happy customer today. Never imagined that.
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? šŸ„ŗ I think that means you missed more than half of them šŸ˜¢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead šŸ¤Ŗ
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    8h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.