Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:21:02 PM(UTC)
TotalPackers said:
Prior to Ed’s recent post on the draft, I hadn’t realized Geronimo Allison is about to become a free agent. This poses quite a dilemma. Who knows what we have in Geronimo? In three seasons, he’s managed to start eight games, get 55 catches, gain 758 yards, and score four touchdowns. As his spare frame [...]
The post Will Geronimo Get a New Contract, or Be the Odd Man Out? appeared first on Total Packers.

Continue Reading @ TotalPackers

I have Allison on the "keeper" list in another thread. I don't know if GB will make him an offer. $1.5 to $2 for 2 or 3 years with a modest signing bonus makes sense. I think Cobb's days are over. It helps to keep someone on hand that Aaron knows and has a little trust in. Naturally if they pick up someone in the first or second round they probably won't make him an offer.
gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:33:41 PM(UTC)
He'll be very cheap to resign, so I think Cobb is gone instead. Though we do already have 3 guys just like Geronimo, and I have never been real impressed with him.
earthquake  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:19:33 PM(UTC)
He's an RFA isn't he? I don't fully understand the rules but doesn't that mean he should be cheap to sign? If so no reason not to have him in camp, he looked like a solid #2-3 option last year before he got hurt.
gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:55:06 PM(UTC)
He will definitely never be more than a number 3
buckeyepackfan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 5:43:40 PM(UTC)
Allison was The Packers leading receiver last year when he went down.

Being an UDFA The Packers should at least put a 2nd tender tag on him.

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three or less accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)[1] of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players, known as a "tender") from his current club.
He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.
If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

Tender amounts

Tender amount Compensation required
$2.879 million First-round
$2.023 million Second-round
$1.323 million Determined by RFA's original draft status
Each player that signs a tender receives a non-guaranteed one-year salary that corresponds to the tender level. Teams which choose not to match an offer on a player with a low tender receive a draft pick corresponding to the round in which the player was originally drafted (except that the highest pick that can be surrendered for such a tender is a second-round pick). For example, a player who was originally drafted in the sixth round of the NFL Draft would force the team signing him to give his former team a sixth-round pick in the upcoming draft as compensation for his service.
No compensation is required for an undrafted player on the lowest tender amount, so teams with valued undrafted RFAs are taking a risk by offering such tenders.

beast  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:03:56 PM(UTC)
As an RFA, Allison will be tendered unless Gute thinks he's getting in the way of other WRs...

Before Allison got injured he was on pace to have 1,156 yards and 8 TDs... and was the teams only #2 WR (unless you count Graham)... when Allison and Cobb got injured is when teams could put all this focus on Adams and Graham and shut the offense down...

My guess is they'll bring Allison back on a one year tender / prove it basis and they'll go from there (honestly I wouldn't mind locking him up cheap for muli-year cheap deal, but I don't think he agent would go for it, as it normally doesn't happen as an RFA unless teams really think highly of a guy).

earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post
He's an RFA isn't he? I don't fully understand the rules but doesn't that mean he should be cheap to sign?
The projected tender prices I saw earlier were...
Projected Tender Price Options
1st Round Tender: $4,449,000
2nd Round Tender: $3,124,000
Original Round Tender: $2,045,000

gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
He will definitely never be more than a number 3

He started out as a #2 last year...

buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
Tender amounts

Tender amount Compensation required
$2.879 million First-round
$2.023 million Second-round
$1.323 million Determined by RFA's original draft status

Very good job explaining the tender but I think the prices are outdated... as prices are only going up and 2018 prices were
sbnation said:
First-round tenders are valued at $4.149 million in 2018.
Second-round tenders are $2.914 million.
Original-round and low-level tenders are $1.907 million.
gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:15:37 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
As an RFA, Allison will be tendered unless Gute thinks he's getting in the way of other WRs...

Before Allison got injured he was on pace to have 1,156 yards and 8 TDs... and was the teams only #2 WR (unless you count Graham)... when Allison and Cobb got injured is when teams could put all this focus on Adams and Graham and shut the offense down...

My guess is they'll bring Allison back on a one year tender / prove it basis and they'll go from there (honestly I wouldn't mind locking him up cheap for muli-year cheap deal, but I don't think he agent would go for it, as it normally doesn't happen as an RFA unless teams really think highly of a guy).

The projected tender prices I saw earlier were...
Projected Tender Price Options
1st Round Tender: $4,449,000
2nd Round Tender: $3,124,000
Original Round Tender: $2,045,000

He started out as a #2 last year...

Very good job explaining the tender but I think the prices are outdated... as prices are only going up and 2018 prices were

Cobb was number 2 last year...

Let me rephrase what I was trying to say anyway. Geronimo isn't talented enough to ever be more than the 3rd best WR on a team. And if he is, then that team has some serious WR issues, in my opinion. Definitely not excluding the Packers from that either.
beast  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:41:03 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
Cobb was number 2 last year...

Let me rephrase what I was trying to say anyway. Geronimo isn't talented enough to ever be more than the 3rd best WR on a team. And if he is, then that team has some serious WR issues, in my opinion. Definitely not excluding the Packers from that either.

Your right, Cobb was #2 by snap counts in the first four weeks... but he sure didn't play like it after week 1.

Allison (IMO) was the closest to actually playing like a true #2 last year... though to be fair that's tough for any rookie to do... with him on pace averaging 1,100 I think he might have more than he's shown and could be better than we think.
buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:13:08 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Your right, Cobb was #2 by snap counts in the first four weeks... but he sure didn't play like it after week 1.

Allison (IMO) was the closest to actually playing like a true #2 last year... though to be fair that's tough for any rookie to do... with him on pace averaging 1,100 I think he might have more than he's shown and could be better than we think.

That was an old article, so the prices were wrong.
I think they change with the cap number every year.

Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:03:55 PM(UTC)
Geronimo can be an effective 2 or very good 3. Bring him back.
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 2:03:09 PM(UTC)
I don’t understand the dislike of Allison by some. He might not be flashy, but he is dependable. He’s not a #1 right now, but he sure isn’t garbage.
When healthy he gets open and makes the catch AND gets good YAC.
KRK  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:26:09 PM(UTC)
Cheesey chastised:
Quote:
I don’t understand the dislike of Allison by some.
Availability is the key ability. He has had hamstring and groin injuries that keep him off the field.

I’m sure he’s a great guy. But we have too many guys on the roster who get hurt too often.

You only get 53 guys and we have to get guys who can show up and play
Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:47:01 AM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Cheesey chastised: Availability is the key ability. He has had hamstring and groin injuries that keep him off the field.

I’m sure he’s a great guy. But we have too many guys on the roster who get hurt too often.

You only get 53 guys and we have to get guys who can show up and play

Which of our WRs HAVENT had injury problems?
Maybe it’s the training staff that has failed the team.
I would say give Allison one more shot this coming season, and if he can’t remain available, THEN.....”GERONIMO!!!” His butt!
Rss Feed