TE Marcedes Lewis Gonee.
TE Lance Kendricks Resign.
OL Byron Bell Gone.
CB Davon House Gone.
CB Bashaud Breeland Resign.
LB Jake Ryan Resign.
S Eddie Pleasant Resign.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
(Teams can put a tender on them restricting them, if no tenders then they're basically UFAs)
Projected Tender Price Options
1st Round Tender: $4,449,000
2nd Round Tender: $3,124,000
Original Round Tender: $2,045,000

WR Geronimo Allison Resign - Original Round Tender.
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
(Pretty Cheap contracts if the Packers want to keep them, I don't have the price number right now, but player can only sign with the Packers unless the Packers choose not to offer a contract then they're basically a UFA)

OL Lucas Patrick Resign.
OL Justin McCray Resign.
OL Adam Pankey Resign.
OLB Reggie Gilbert Resign.
TE Robert Tonyan Resign.
WR Jake Kumerow Resign.
DL Fadol Brown Gone.
RB Lavon Coleman Gone.

Obviously, all of these guys would be fighting for roster spots in training camp.

POTENTIAL CAP RELEASES (amount it would save)
** = means if released before their mid-March roster bonus

OLB Nick Perry ($31.7** million over 3 years) ($10.56 million per year average) Gone.
TE Jimmy Graham ($17** million over 2 years) ($8.5 million per year average)
DT Mike Daniels ($8.3125 million over 1 year)
OC Corey Linsley ($14.65** million over 2 years) ($7.325 million per year average)
OT Bryan Bulaga ($6.6625 million over 1 year)
DB Tramon Williams ($4.75** million over 1 year)
OG Lane Taylor ($8.61** million over 2 years) ($4.305 million per year average)
K Mason Crosby ($3.6 million over 1 year)

I would have chosen to cut Graham for the sake of this post, but since it sounds like that isn't going to happen, I will leave him. Let's cut Perry though, just for kicks. In my opinion anyone who suggests cutting Linsley is insane. He is 1 of only 2 very good players on our line, and one who is always healthy. For everyone complaining about the interior of our line, why the hell would we cut our great center?

Spotrac puts us at $34,166,842 in cap space (top 51). Cutting Perry saves us $3,337,500 in cap space THIS season. That puts us at $37,504,342 in cap space going into free agency. Lets look at how much it will cost to resign the above guys. I'm not a contract expert, so for the sake of this post I am going to take the estimated yearly average they will get, and just count that as cap space taken up. Signing bonuses, etc not accounted for in this scenario.

TE Lance Kendricks Resign. Made 2 million last season, I don't see him earning a raise. 2 million.
CB Bashaud Breeland Resign. Spotrac estimates his market value at 7 million.
LB Jake Ryan Resign. Mad 2 million last season, lets call it the same this year.
S Eddie Pleasant Resign. $790k last year, call it the same.
OL Lucas Patrick Resign. $555k
OL Justin McCray Resign. $555k
OL Adam Pankey Resign. $555k
OLB Reggie Gilbert Resign. $555k
TE Robert Tonyan Resign. $555k
WR Jake Kumerow Resign. $555k

Add up all that and it brings us to $15,120,000. That leave us with $22,384,342 left for the draft and free agency. After resigning these guys, lets look at our 2019 roster to see what holes he have to fill with that money.

OFFENSE
QB
Aaron Rodgers
Deshone Kizer
Tim Boyle

RB
Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
HOLE Address in Draft
Kapri Bibbs
Danny Vitale

WR
Davante Adams
HOLE Address in free agency. Hopefully Cole Beasley.
Geronimo Allison
MVS
Equanimeous St Brown
J'Mon Moore
Jake Kumerow
Allen Lazard
Trevor Davis

TE
Jimmy Graham
HOLE Address in draft (hopefully one of the Iowa guys)
Lance Kendricks
Robert Tonyan

LT
David Bakhtiari
Jason Spriggs
Alex Light

LG
Lane Taylor
HOLE Address in Draft
Justin Mccray
Nick Siragusa

C
Corey Linsley

RG
HOLE Address in FA or Draft
Lucas Patick
Adam Pankey

RT
Bryan Bulaga

I really think we sign a WR in FA. Which will be pricey, lets be conservative and call that 8 million per year. Cole Beasley. Assuming the rest of the offensive holes are filled with the draft. That 22 million just dwindled to 14 million. We haven't even got to the defense yet. This is why I have been saying when it comes to resigning our own and then trying to address the remaining holes, our cap space does not get us very far. Hopefully, some creative accounting pushes some of the cap usage down a year or two.

DEFENSE
Defensive Line
Mike Daniels
Kenny Clark
HOLE Address in FA. Hopefully Ezekiel ansah.
Dean Lowry
Tyler Lancaster
Montravious Adams
James Looney

ILB
Blake Martinez
Jake Ryan
Antonio Morrison
Oren Burks

OLB
HOLE Address in Draft
HOLE Address in Draft
Kyler Fackrell
Reggie Gilbert
Kendall Donnerson

CB
Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Bashaud Breeland
Josh Jackson
Tony Brown
Natrell Jamerson
Will Redmond

SAFETY
Tramon Williams
HOLE Address in FA. Hopefully Landon Collins.
Josh Jones
HOLE Address in the draft
Eddie Pleasant
Raven Greene

I see us signing a defensive lineman in FA and a safety. The safety should come cheap, say 2-4 million in today's market. Collins or one of the other four guys. Defensive lineman is going to be costly. Say 8-14 million. Ziggy Ansah. Or we could resign Wilkerson rather cheap, but i'd rather not.

The rest of the holes have to be filled in the draft.

With only $14 millions left in cap space for the defense, the safety and lineman take all of that. Leaving nothing left for the draft. So, we might have to make another cut to create space (just cut Jimmy Graham Gute!) or creative accounting to push the cap space usage into years down the road.

In summary, once we resign our own guys (AND cut Perry) it is tough to sign any more than 3 free agents to fill in any holes with a solid player. It also leaves many holes left to fill in the draft/undrafted. We've got a lot of work to do this offseason, and it is going to be tough to do. We're going to have to nail the draft, and get creative with contracts. I'm running out of time here, or I'd go into more detail and scenarios, as the money obviously isn't working at this point.

Resign some guys, cut another guy or two for some savings. Then sign Cole Beasley, Landon Collins and Ziggy Ansah and nail every single draft pick and our team looks great.

Anywho...
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Spotrac puts us at $34,166,842 in cap space (top 51). Cutting Perry saves us $3,337,500 in cap space THIS season.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Just trying to explain further, when you sign a player to a multi year deal with signing bonus the cap hit is delayed just like it getting back from players is delayed so it all evens out.

Using your example say we give Breeland a 2 year, 14 million dollar deal that average 7 million per season.

Cash break down is
$6 million signing bonus (gets right away)
2019 base salary: $1 million (low because he's already getting the signing bonus this year)
2020 base salary: $7 million

The cap breakdown would be
2019: $4 million
2020: $10 millions

So both the released contract and the future muliyear deal with signing bonus are delayed and not evened out... meaning it's just fine that it's in 2020 and not 2019, you can still go sign a player now, you don't have to wait to use that money.

In my opinion anyone who suggests cutting Linsley is insane. He is 1 of only 2 very good players on our line, and one who is always healthy.

I expressed displeasure is the amount of his contract... same thing people do with Graham and Bulaga. I want to cut the contract price, not the player.

I would of it for Graham too but that's basically everyone opinion. I don't want to cut the player just the amount of the contract.

And the Packers have 3 very good players on the OL.... Linsley has played 87.5% of the games which includes all of 2017 where he played 16 games but very poorly because he was playing injured the basically the entire season. Got to give him credit for toughing it out, but at the same time he hasn't been always healthy.

Over the same time span Bulaga has played 77.5% of the games. Bak has played 95% over that same time frame.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago

Just trying to explain further, when you sign a player to a multi year deal with signing bonus the cap hit is delayed just like it getting back from players is delayed so it all evens out.

Using your example say we give Breeland a 2 year, 14 million dollar deal that average 7 million per season.

Cash break down is
$6 million signing bonus (gets right away)
2019 base salary: $1 million (low because he's already getting the signing bonus this year)
2020 base salary: $7 million

The cap breakdown would be
2019: $4 million
2020: $10 millions

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yes. Accounting like this makes our situation much better this offseason. Really looking forward to what we can do without setting us up for some really tough years down the road. Would allow us to fit the drafted players under the cap while keeping the usual 5 million buffer.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
I really can’t make a decision on Perry until I know how healthy he is. When healthly, which isn’t enough I will grant you, he is by far the best you have

I am still absolutely mystified at keeping Graham.

Breeland at 7 million seems awfully expensive

Why not sign Wilkerson at another prove a deal? Then all you have to worry about is the edge.

I think we need a lot more help it inside linebacker than most posters believe.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago

I really can’t make a decision on Perry until I know how healthy he is. When healthly, which isn’t enough I will grant you, he is by far the best you have

I am still absolutely mystified at keeping Graham.

Breeland at 7 million seems awfully expensive

Why not sign Wilkerson at another prove a deal? Then all you have to worry about is the edge.

I think we need a lot more help it inside linebacker than most posters believe.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I think I mostly agree with your thinking.

With Breeland I think once he got into game shape he looked pretty good for us last year. When you have the injury concerns of King I think Breeland is a good guy to have on board.

I am with you with getting an ILB for passing down. Our middle has been our Achilles heel for years. We need speed at the ILB position on passing down. Whether we can get one of our safeties playing the position on passing down is something for consideration as well.

gbguy20
5 years ago

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
UFAs can sign with any team

OLB Clay Matthews Gone.
WR Randall Cobb Gone.
DL Muhammad Wilkerson Gone.
TE Marcedes Lewis Gonee.
TE Lance Kendricks Resign.
OL Byron Bell Gone.
CB Davon House Gone.
CB Bashaud Breeland Resign.
LB Jake Ryan Resign.
S Eddie Pleasant Resign.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
(Teams can put a tender on them restricting them, if no tenders then they're basically UFAs)
Projected Tender Price Options
1st Round Tender: $4,449,000
2nd Round Tender: $3,124,000
Original Round Tender: $2,045,000

WR Geronimo Allison Resign - Original Round Tender.
S Kentrell Brice
S Ibraheim Campbell

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
(Pretty Cheap contracts if the Packers want to keep them, I don't have the price number right now, but player can only sign with the Packers unless the Packers choose not to offer a contract then they're basically a UFA)

OL Lucas Patrick Resign.
OL Justin McCray Resign.
OL Adam Pankey Resign.
OLB Reggie Gilbert Resign.
TE Robert Tonyan Resign.
WR Jake Kumerow Resign.
DL Fadol Brown Gone.
RB Lavon Coleman Gone.

Obviously, all of these guys would be fighting for roster spots in training camp.

POTENTIAL CAP RELEASES (amount it would save)
** = means if released before their mid-March roster bonus

OLB Nick Perry ($31.7** million over 3 years) ($10.56 million per year average) Gone.
TE Jimmy Graham ($17** million over 2 years) ($8.5 million per year average)
DT Mike Daniels ($8.3125 million over 1 year)
OC Corey Linsley ($14.65** million over 2 years) ($7.325 million per year average)
OT Bryan Bulaga ($6.6625 million over 1 year)
DB Tramon Williams ($4.75** million over 1 year)
OG Lane Taylor ($8.61** million over 2 years) ($4.305 million per year average)
K Mason Crosby ($3.6 million over 1 year)

I would have chosen to cut Graham for the sake of this post, but since it sounds like that isn't going to happen, I will leave him. Let's cut Perry though, just for kicks. In my opinion anyone who suggests cutting Linsley is insane. He is 1 of only 2 very good players on our line, and one who is always healthy. For everyone complaining about the interior of our line, why the hell would we cut our great center?

Spotrac puts us at $34,166,842 in cap space (top 51). Cutting Perry saves us $3,337,500 in cap space THIS season. That puts us at $37,504,342 in cap space going into free agency. Lets look at how much it will cost to resign the above guys. I'm not a contract expert, so for the sake of this post I am going to take the estimated yearly average they will get, and just count that as cap space taken up. Signing bonuses, etc not accounted for in this scenario.

TE Lance Kendricks Resign. Made 2 million last season, I don't see him earning a raise. 2 million.
LB Jake Ryan Resign. Mad 2 million last season, lets call it the same this year.
S Eddie Pleasant Resign. $790k last year, call it the same.
OL Lucas Patrick Resign. $555k
OL Justin McCray Resign. $555k
OL Adam Pankey Resign. $555k
OLB Reggie Gilbert Resign. $555k
TE Robert Tonyan Resign. $555k
WR Jake Kumerow Resign. $555k

Add up all that and it brings us to $15,120,000. That leave us with $22,384,342 left for the draft and free agency. After resigning these guys, lets look at our 2019 roster to see what holes he have to fill with that money.

OFFENSE
QB
Aaron Rodgers
Deshone Kizer
Tim Boyle

RB
Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
HOLE Address in Draft
Kapri Bibbs
Danny Vitale

WR
Davante Adams
HOLE Address in free agency. Hopefully Cole Beasley.
Geronimo Allison
MVS
Equanimeous St Brown
J'Mon Moore
Jake Kumerow
Allen Lazard
Trevor Davis

TE
Jimmy Graham
HOLE Address in draft (hopefully one of the Iowa guys)
Lance Kendricks
Robert Tonyan

LT
David Bakhtiari
Jason Spriggs
Alex Light

LG
Lane Taylor
HOLE Address in Draft
Justin Mccray
Nick Siragusa

C
Corey Linsley

RG
Lucas Patick
Adam Pankey

RT
Bryan Bulaga

I really think we sign a WR in FA. Which will be pricey, lets be conservative and call that 8 million per year. Cole Beasley. Assuming the rest of the offensive holes are filled with the draft. That 22 million just dwindled to 14 million. We haven't even got to the defense yet. This is why I have been saying when it comes to resigning our own and then trying to address the remaining holes, our cap space does not get us very far. Hopefully, some creative accounting pushes some of the cap usage down a year or two.

DEFENSE
Defensive Line
Mike Daniels
Kenny Clark
HOLE Address in FA. Hopefully Ezekiel ansah.
Dean Lowry
Tyler Lancaster
Montravious Adams
James Looney

ILB
Blake Martinez
Jake Ryan
Antonio Morrison
Oren Burks

OLB
HOLE Address in Draft
HOLE Address in Draft
Kyler Fackrell
Reggie Gilbert
Kendall Donnerson

CB
Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Bashaud Breeland
Josh Jackson
Tony Brown
Natrell Jamerson
Will Redmond

SAFETY
Tramon Williams
HOLE Address in FA. Hopefully Landon Collins.
Josh Jones
HOLE Address in the draft
Eddie Pleasant
Raven Greene

I see us signing a defensive lineman in FA and a safety. The safety should come cheap, say 2-4 million in today's market. Collins or one of the other four guys. Defensive lineman is going to be costly. Say 8-14 million. Ziggy Ansah. Or we could resign Wilkerson rather cheap, but i'd rather not.

The rest of the holes have to be filled in the draft.

With only $14 millions left in cap space for the defense, the safety and lineman take all of that. Leaving nothing left for the draft. So, we might have to make another cut to create space (just cut Jimmy Graham Gute!) or creative accounting to push the cap space usage into years down the road.

In summary, once we resign our own guys (AND cut Perry) it is tough to sign any more than 3 free agents to fill in any holes with a solid player. It also leaves many holes left to fill in the draft/undrafted. We've got a lot of work to do this offseason, and it is going to be tough to do. We're going to have to nail the draft, and get creative with contracts. I'm running out of time here, or I'd go into more detail and scenarios, as the money obviously isn't working at this point.

Resign some guys, cut another guy or two for some savings. Then sign Cole Beasley, Landon Collins and Ziggy Ansah and nail every single draft pick and our team looks great.

Anywho...

I forgot about Jamison Crowder. I think we could go after him for a bit cheaper than Cole Beasley and save some more space. Also, as much as I love Tramon and would hate to let him go again, we could cut him to save 4.75 million to put toward a younger safety and that way could likely afford to bring two of the top 5 safeties.
Cheesey
5 years ago
I can’t see keeping Clay Matthews. He has been a disappointment for years now. Even at a discount, he would take up a roster spot that could go to someone that can help the team more.
Same thing with Graham.
Roster spots AND money that can be used better.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
The resigning has begun:

The Packers will tender G Justin McCray, an exclusive rights free agent, a source said. It's a one-year, $645,000 deal that would get McCray to restricted free agency status next offseason. Other Packers ERFAs include: WR Jake Kumerow, TE Robert Tonyan, G Lucas Patrick, OLB Reggie Gilbert, DT Fadol Brown.

Assuming there is more news to come.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Great thread! My head hurts from all the numbers though ...
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Per Michael Cohen the packers are letting Clay Matthews test free agency and will not be paying Nick Perry his roster bonus, making him a free agent as well. We'll see if that becomes official or not
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (46m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.