Zero2Cool
5 years ago

@TomSilverstein
#Packers are going offense next in free agency. They have agreed to terms with Denver OL Billy Turner, according to an NFL source.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago
This looks like an overpay, but he helps keep Rodgers upright, so be it.
musccy
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Agreed on overpay, but if he can effectively move around like his past suggests, his versatility could be worth it when Bulaga inevitably goes down.

Rockmolder
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I agree. Going by the numbers we have right now, he'd average out in the 15-20 in average salary per year for guards, while only ranking 33rd this year according to PFF.

The write-ups haven't been all that promising, either.

Walterfootball: Packers sign G/OT Billy Turner (4 years, $28 million): 

What the hell happened? The Packers made some terrific signings during the second day of unofficial free agency, obtaining the talented Za'Darius Smith, as well as Preston Smith and Adrian Amos for cheap deals. They were dominating free agency, but then this happened.

Some may describe Billy Turner as versatile because he can play both guard and right tackle. I would describe him as turnstile. Turner cannot block well. He's an OK backup because he can play multiple positions, but he's a huge liability as a starter. And given that the Packers are paying Turner $7 million per season, I assume they want him to be a starter.

I think this is a huge mistake, one that the Packers will ultimately regret. This is undoubtedly worth an "F" grade.

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top, as Turner has improved a lot since joining the Broncos, but it's a lot of money for someone who's been average his entire career.

I'm very curious as to what TJ Lang will get. If he goes somewhere on a 2-year, $ 12 million deal or something around that, I would've prefered him as a stop-gap option. But that's a lot of iffs, of course.
nerdmann
5 years ago

I agree. Going by the numbers we have right now, he'd average out in the 15-20 in average salary per year for guards, while only ranking 33rd this year according to PFF.

The write-ups haven't been all that promising, either.

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top, as Turner has improved a lot since joining the Broncos, but it's a lot of money for someone who's been average his entire career.

I'm very curious as to what TJ Lang will get. If he goes somewhere on a 2-year, $ 12 million deal or something around that, I would've prefered him as a stop-gap option. But that's a lot of iffs, of course.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Bear in mind, our new OL coach has no experience whatsoever. I mean, I'm sure they'll give him some help, but could be a trouble spot.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
To me, this was the puzzler of the four selections. I would expect at least 2 linemen to be drafted in GB's top 4 picks.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top,

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

You forgot this part:

FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY Grade

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Some old Denver posts on Turner....they seem to think he was at least decent and appeared to be coming into his own....still seems like a bit of an overspend, but we shall see.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/3/8/18256839/billy-turner-extension-broncos 
The Denver Broncos have been trying to get offensive tackle Billy Turner locked in with an extension, but per Ian Rapoport those talks have broken down and Turner will now be a free agent next week.
Turner, 27, was a third-round selection by the Miami Dolphins in 2014 and had been with the Broncos since 2016. Turner was pressed into service early on last season as injuries began to mount on the offensive line. He player [sic] every snap in 11 games last year.
While Turner performed well under that situation, the Broncos clearly didn’t want to commit too much financially….
The Denver Broncos will need to address the offensive line in 2019. That much is no secret. But rather than searching high and low for the right combination of players, one of the answers could be on their own roster.
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/26/denver-broncos-should-roll-with-billy-turner-draft-a-right-tackle-in-2019/ 
Billy Turner played quite well in relief last season and though he is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent when the new league year opens, the Broncos could re-sign him before he hits the open market.
At 27 years old, he is five years younger than the aging Jared Veldheer, who will also be an unrestricted free agent. Turner would be the much cheaper option as well….Turner is familiar with the team and is coming off a season in which he made 11 starts and played well while filling in for Veldheer. The Broncos could start him at the right tackle spot in 2019 while grooming another right tackle selected in the draft.…The Broncos have the chance to sign Turner before any other team gets a crack at him. It might not be a bad idea to make that move soon.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
earthquake
5 years ago
Billy Turner, OL (Packers): Four years, $28MM. $9MM guaranteed, all via signing bonus. 2019 cap hit is $4.25MM. Salaries: $1.35MM (2019), $1.75MM (2020), $4.15MM (2021), $5.2MM (2020). Twitter link via Goessling, ESPN link via Rob Demovsky.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/contract-details-paradis-saffold-jackson-packers 

Will be a lot if he ends up as a utility type backup guy, but probably not a terrible contract if he can be a starter at guard and fill in at RT in a pinch. Looks like the first two years are pretty light other than the signing bonus, and since only the bonus is guaranteed, he could be cut in 2021 if it doesn't pan out.
blank
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Billy Turner, OL (Packers): Four years, $28MM. $9MM guaranteed, all via signing bonus. 2019 cap hit is $4.25MM. Salaries: $1.35MM (2019), $1.75MM (2020), $4.15MM (2021), $5.2MM (2020). Twitter link via Goessling, ESPN link via Rob Demovsky.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/contract-details-paradis-saffold-jackson-packers 

Will be a lot if he ends up as a utility type backup guy, but probably not a terrible contract if he can be a starter at guard and fill in at RT in a pinch. Looks like the first two years are pretty light other than the signing bonus, and since only the bonus is guaranteed, he could be cut in 2021 if it doesn't pan out.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Didn't know the exact numbers when I first reacted, but I fully agree with you. This contract is a lot better than I thought it'd be. Cutting him after 2 years still isn't exactly cheap, but it does net us about $ 4 mil in cap space, so we're not completely tied up.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (13h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.