Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:50:53 AM(UTC)
Did we just get stronger, while making the Bears a touch weaker?
Darin Gantt said:
The Packers aren't finished, and their latest addition is a two-for-one. According to Ian Rapoport, the Packers are expected to sign Bears safety Adrian Amos when the league year opens. Not only does he strengthen their own defense, it takes away from their division rival. Amos, 25, can step into the central role of the [more]

Continue Reading @ Darin Gantt

Updated by user Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:07:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:24:03 AM(UTC)
This is the safety I was hoping for.
I feel really positive about this guy.
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:39:35 AM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:43:04 AM(UTC)

Little highlight actions. Biggest thing I've noticed/read about him is he is a SOLID wrap up tackler, with some big hitting ability too. Played the slot a bit too. Nice versatile piece!
Rockmolder  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:19:37 PM(UTC)
Can't believe the Bears have the money laying around to give Buster Skrine a big 3 year deal, but don't resign Amos.

I know Amos is a bit more expensive, but he's so much more value for money thatn Skrine is, it's not even close.

They have some space left after restructuring two contracts and have to spend very little on draft picks, most likely, since they don't have a 1st or a 2nd round pick, so it baffles me that they just gave up on getting him back when you see the contract he signed with us.

That said, all the better for us. A very talented and underrated safety on pretty good terms, coming over from our rivals. I'm all for it.
Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:26:06 PM(UTC)
From what I've been picking up from reading about him is that he's more a SS than a FS and struggles when asked to act like a FS. The upside is he's a good tackler and very assignment sure which fits with Pettine's D (sending guys after the QB and trusting your secondary).
Rockmolder  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:39:06 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post
From what I've been picking up from reading about him is that he's more a SS than a FS and struggles when asked to act like a FS. The upside is he's a good tackler and very assignment sure which fits with Pettine's D (sending guys after the QB and trusting your secondary).

Pretty funny, because the knock on him coming out of college was that he was a finesse athlete with horrible play against the run. Makes you respect him all that much more that he worked real hard on his weaknesses, apparently.

Anyway, I don't mind this at all. Makes him even better for all 3 downs. You just have him at safety on 1st and 2nd down and slide him down to ILB on 3rd/passing downs. That'd help our defense in so many ways.

Firstly you get Martinez and/or Ryan off the field, consistently, on passing downs. Coverage from our LBs has been a sore spot for years. I mean, a fanbase that rejoiced because of Brandon Chillar's coverage skills has had quite a drought.

Secondly, you can get more of a rotation going at both the LB and S spot. Helps keep your players fresh for when it matters most.

Thirdly, he's just solid all-around. He doesn't have a glaring weakness, so he won't constantly be thrown at when lining up against WRs in zone on 1st and 2nd and won't be completely overrun on a 3rd against RBs/TEs.

I know using a safety at LB is pretty commonplace now, but finding a player who can actually perform in both roles is pretty hard. I think we just found one for the next couple of years.
nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:09:06 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
Can't believe the Bears have the money laying around to give Buster Skrine a big 3 year deal, but don't resign Amos.

I know Amos is a bit more expensive, but he's so much more value for money thatn Skrine is, it's not even close.

They have some space left after restructuring two contracts and have to spend very little on draft picks, most likely, since they don't have a 1st or a 2nd round pick, so it baffles me that they just gave up on getting him back when you see the contract he signed with us.

That said, all the better for us. A very talented and underrated safety on pretty good terms, coming over from our rivals. I'm all for it.

Could be an indirect result of the Khalil Mack trade. They gotta pay a lot of guys now.
KRK  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:20:35 PM(UTC)
IMO a great signing. Love it. Fills a need relatively economically and weakens a division opponent.
Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:03:18 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Could be an indirect result of the Khalil Mack trade. They gotta pay a lot of guys now.

Well, they don't have tons of cap space left, but Mack actually restructured so they could sign some guys. To then use that money on Skrine instead of Amos just seems like a poor decision.
Mucky Tundra  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:01:43 PM(UTC)
I gotta say, the idea of a safety coming down and making plays in run support sounds refreshing and almost alien at this point since it's been so long since it's been routine in this defense.

Picking up on more radio traffic from Bears fans is that Amos only started playing well once paired with Eddie Jackson and he's a product of Fangios system. I guess that would mean Gute is going to try and get a starting FS in the draft. As as being a product of a system, I trust Pettine enough to use him properly.
KRK  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:42:54 PM(UTC)
Mucky I wouldn’t worry about what bear fans say. They’re a bunch of degenerate chronic losers.
Rockmolder  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:55:20 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post
I gotta say, the idea of a safety coming down and making plays in run support sounds refreshing and almost alien at this point since it's been so long since it's been routine in this defense.

Picking up on more radio traffic from Bears fans is that Amos only started playing well once paired with Eddie Jackson and he's a product of Fangios system. I guess that would mean Gute is going to try and get a starting FS in the draft. As as being a product of a system, I trust Pettine enough to use him properly.

I looked at some forum posts from before he signed with GB, since the ones after are (obviously) that the guy totally sucks.

It's was a bit of a 50/50 thing in that there are people who love him because he's such a solid player who never makes mistakes and people that found him average because he doesn't do a lot of flashy stuff.

I think that what they're talking about on the radio, Amos being a product of Jackson, might just as much work the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a very, very good safety and I don't think Amos comes close to him in terms of pure skill, but making flashy plays and taking chances is a lot easier when you have someone next to you who never, ever makes a mistake.

I'd wish we still have Clinton-Dix next to him. I think the combination of the two would be perfect.
KRK  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:03:39 PM(UTC)
HHCD is not prime time....glad he’s gone. Apparently the rest of the league has figured this out
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:43:26 PM(UTC)
I'd wish we still have Clinton-Dix next to him. I think the combination of the two would be perfect.

Wash your mouth out with soap! Such dirty foul language!
Mucky Tundra  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:18:56 PM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Mucky I wouldn’t worry about what bear fans say. They’re a bunch of degenerate chronic losers.

Oh believe me when I say I waded through crap to find a few nuggets when reading about Amos.

I looked at some forum posts from before he signed with GB, since the ones after are (obviously) that the guy totally sucks.

It's was a bit of a 50/50 thing in that there are people who love him because he's such a solid player who never makes mistakes and people that found him average because he doesn't do a lot of flashy stuff.

I think that what they're talking about on the radio, Amos being a product of Jackson, might just as much work the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a very, very good safety and I don't think Amos comes close to him in terms of pure skill, but making flashy plays and taking chances is a lot easier when you have someone next to you who never, ever makes a mistake.

I guess the scenario that's popping into my head is what went down with Peprah and Collins back in 2011 when Collins got hurt. After Collins got hurt, Peprah played like hot trash the rest of the year. I remember thinking "Was this the same guy who played well in the Super Bowl?"
Dulak  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 2:53:04 AM(UTC)
Something has been on my mind about this guy ...

Could this guys numbers be inflated because chicago's front line are just so good? I watched a few of chicagos games last year and their front 4 justt wrecked havoc. Having a QB throw with those guys bearing down on him is going to make his throws off and make CB/safetys look better? ...

What do you think ...

Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 3:49:00 AM(UTC)
Dulak said: Go to Quoted Post
Something has been on my mind about this guy ...

Could this guys numbers be inflated because chicago's front line are just so good? I watched a few of chicagos games last year and their front 4 justt wrecked havoc. Having a QB throw with those guys bearing down on him is going to make his throws off and make CB/safetys look better? ...

What do you think ...

Yes, and I don't think he starts more than ten games for us this season.
gbguy20  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2019 6:30:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Yes, and I don't think he starts more than ten games for us this season.

Uffda
Rss Feed