Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
  • Posts: 38384
  • Joined: 10/14/2006
Did we just get stronger, while making the Bears a touch weaker?
Darin Gantt wrote:

The Packers aren't finished, and their latest addition is a two-for-one. According to Ian Rapoport, the Packers are expected to sign Bears safety Adrian Amos when the league year opens. Not only does he strengthen their own defense, it takes away from their division rival. Amos, 25, can step into the central role of the [more]

Continue Reading @ Darin Gantt 




yooperfan
  • Posts: 5212
  • Joined: 8/7/2008
This is the safety I was hoping for.
I feel really positive about this guy.
Zero2Cool
  • Posts: 38384
  • Joined: 10/14/2006
FLORIDA PACKER88
  • Posts: 1020
  • Joined: 8/13/2011
https://www.youtube.com/...;feature=player_embedded 

Little highlight actions. Biggest thing I've noticed/read about him is he is a SOLID wrap up tackler, with some big hitting ability too. Played the slot a bit too. Nice versatile piece!
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Can't believe the Bears have the money laying around to give Buster Skrine a big 3 year deal, but don't resign Amos.

I know Amos is a bit more expensive, but he's so much more value for money thatn Skrine is, it's not even close.

They have some space left after restructuring two contracts and have to spend very little on draft picks, most likely, since they don't have a 1st or a 2nd round pick, so it baffles me that they just gave up on getting him back when you see the contract he signed with us.

That said, all the better for us. A very talented and underrated safety on pretty good terms, coming over from our rivals. I'm all for it.
Mucky Tundra
  • Posts: 6018
  • Joined: 1/11/2013
From what I've been picking up from reading about him is that he's more a SS than a FS and struggles when asked to act like a FS. The upside is he's a good tackler and very assignment sure which fits with Pettine's D (sending guys after the QB and trusting your secondary).
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

From what I've been picking up from reading about him is that he's more a SS than a FS and struggles when asked to act like a FS. The upside is he's a good tackler and very assignment sure which fits with Pettine's D (sending guys after the QB and trusting your secondary).



Pretty funny, because the knock on him coming out of college was that he was a finesse athlete with horrible play against the run. Makes you respect him all that much more that he worked real hard on his weaknesses, apparently.

Anyway, I don't mind this at all. Makes him even better for all 3 downs. You just have him at safety on 1st and 2nd down and slide him down to ILB on 3rd/passing downs. That'd help our defense in so many ways.

Firstly you get Martinez and/or Ryan off the field, consistently, on passing downs. Coverage from our LBs has been a sore spot for years. I mean, a fanbase that rejoiced because of Brandon Chillar's coverage skills has had quite a drought.

Secondly, you can get more of a rotation going at both the LB and S spot. Helps keep your players fresh for when it matters most.

Thirdly, he's just solid all-around. He doesn't have a glaring weakness, so he won't constantly be thrown at when lining up against WRs in zone on 1st and 2nd and won't be completely overrun on a 3rd against RBs/TEs.

I know using a safety at LB is pretty commonplace now, but finding a player who can actually perform in both roles is pretty hard. I think we just found one for the next couple of years.
nerdmann
  • Posts: 28799
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Can't believe the Bears have the money laying around to give Buster Skrine a big 3 year deal, but don't resign Amos.

I know Amos is a bit more expensive, but he's so much more value for money thatn Skrine is, it's not even close.

They have some space left after restructuring two contracts and have to spend very little on draft picks, most likely, since they don't have a 1st or a 2nd round pick, so it baffles me that they just gave up on getting him back when you see the contract he signed with us.

That said, all the better for us. A very talented and underrated safety on pretty good terms, coming over from our rivals. I'm all for it.



Could be an indirect result of the Khalil Mack trade. They gotta pay a lot of guys now.
KRK
  • Posts: 3626
  • Joined: 1/28/2017
IMO a great signing. Love it. Fills a need relatively economically and weakens a division opponent.
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Could be an indirect result of the Khalil Mack trade. They gotta pay a lot of guys now.



Well, they don't have tons of cap space left, but Mack actually restructured so they could sign some guys. To then use that money on Skrine instead of Amos just seems like a poor decision.
Mucky Tundra
  • Posts: 6018
  • Joined: 1/11/2013
I gotta say, the idea of a safety coming down and making plays in run support sounds refreshing and almost alien at this point since it's been so long since it's been routine in this defense.

Picking up on more radio traffic from Bears fans is that Amos only started playing well once paired with Eddie Jackson and he's a product of Fangios system. I guess that would mean Gute is going to try and get a starting FS in the draft. As as being a product of a system, I trust Pettine enough to use him properly.
KRK
  • Posts: 3626
  • Joined: 1/28/2017
Mucky I wouldn’t worry about what bear fans say. They’re a bunch of degenerate chronic losers.
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I gotta say, the idea of a safety coming down and making plays in run support sounds refreshing and almost alien at this point since it's been so long since it's been routine in this defense.

Picking up on more radio traffic from Bears fans is that Amos only started playing well once paired with Eddie Jackson and he's a product of Fangios system. I guess that would mean Gute is going to try and get a starting FS in the draft. As as being a product of a system, I trust Pettine enough to use him properly.



I looked at some forum posts from before he signed with GB, since the ones after are (obviously) that the guy totally sucks.

It's was a bit of a 50/50 thing in that there are people who love him because he's such a solid player who never makes mistakes and people that found him average because he doesn't do a lot of flashy stuff.

I think that what they're talking about on the radio, Amos being a product of Jackson, might just as much work the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a very, very good safety and I don't think Amos comes close to him in terms of pure skill, but making flashy plays and taking chances is a lot easier when you have someone next to you who never, ever makes a mistake.

I'd wish we still have Clinton-Dix next to him. I think the combination of the two would be perfect.
KRK
  • Posts: 3626
  • Joined: 1/28/2017
HHCD is not prime time....glad he’s gone. Apparently the rest of the league has figured this out
Zero2Cool
  • Posts: 38384
  • Joined: 10/14/2006
Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I'd wish we still have Clinton-Dix next to him. I think the combination of the two would be perfect.



Wash your mouth out with soap! Such dirty foul language!
Mucky Tundra
  • Posts: 6018
  • Joined: 1/11/2013
Originally Posted by: KRK 

Mucky I wouldn’t worry about what bear fans say. They’re a bunch of degenerate chronic losers.



Oh believe me when I say I waded through crap to find a few nuggets when reading about Amos.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I looked at some forum posts from before he signed with GB, since the ones after are (obviously) that the guy totally sucks.

It's was a bit of a 50/50 thing in that there are people who love him because he's such a solid player who never makes mistakes and people that found him average because he doesn't do a lot of flashy stuff.

I think that what they're talking about on the radio, Amos being a product of Jackson, might just as much work the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Jackson is a very, very good safety and I don't think Amos comes close to him in terms of pure skill, but making flashy plays and taking chances is a lot easier when you have someone next to you who never, ever makes a mistake.

I'd wish we still have Clinton-Dix next to him. I think the combination of the two would be perfect.



I guess the scenario that's popping into my head is what went down with Peprah and Collins back in 2011 when Collins got hurt. After Collins got hurt, Peprah played like hot trash the rest of the year. I remember thinking "Was this the same guy who played well in the Super Bowl?"
Dulak
  • Posts: 3089
  • Joined: 1/19/2009
Something has been on my mind about this guy ...

Could this guys numbers be inflated because chicago's front line are just so good? I watched a few of chicagos games last year and their front 4 justt wrecked havoc. Having a QB throw with those guys bearing down on him is going to make his throws off and make CB/safetys look better? ...

What do you think ...

Zero2Cool
  • Posts: 38384
  • Joined: 10/14/2006
Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Something has been on my mind about this guy ...

Could this guys numbers be inflated because chicago's front line are just so good? I watched a few of chicagos games last year and their front 4 justt wrecked havoc. Having a QB throw with those guys bearing down on him is going to make his throws off and make CB/safetys look better? ...

What do you think ...



Yes, and I don't think he starts more than ten games for us this season.
gbguy20
  • Posts: 5164
  • Joined: 8/28/2009
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes, and I don't think he starts more than ten games for us this season.



Uffda
Users browsing this topic
  • Guest (2)
Fan Shout
Cheesey (9h) : Ya-HOOOO!!! I’m BACK! Thanks to WPR and Zero!
Zero2Cool (10h) : Alan, check your email. You have password.
wpr (11h) : Be afraid. Wolf and Highstreet turned the Brown's organization around.
gbguy20 (13h) : fucking Seattle
Zero2Cool (13h) : @MikeGarafolo The #Seahawks are hiring Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith as consultants during the draft process this spring, sources say. Both know John Schneider well. Long-term options for both of th
beast (23-Feb) : One reported suggested players were being told there wasn't much negotiation, it was a take it or risk possible lock out deal from the owners, which they also tried (and failed) last CBA as well, tryi
Zero2Cool (23-Feb) : Stupid reps. Greedy owners.
buckeyepackfan (22-Feb) : Player reps have rejected this 1st offer.
Zero2Cool (22-Feb) : XFL needs to stick around
beast (22-Feb) : Yeah that is a bad change, and make the season less important, because more teams get in and less bye spots equal less importance in battling for seeding between 3 and 6
Porforis (20-Feb) : Merge the NFL with the Arena Football League, CFL, and XFL.
Nonstopdrivel (20-Feb) : There are only four teams per division. How are they going to admit seven teams per division to the playoffs? 🤔
Porforis (20-Feb) : I mean yes, that extra team will likely end up being that team in a competitive conference that didnt' get in because of that sub-500 team and the dumb rules, but you'll still have that bad team in th
Porforis (20-Feb) : There's already people screaming for rule changes everytime a .500 or below team makes the playoffs, now you want to let MORE bad teams get in?
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : Almost half a conference makes playoffs????
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : stupid idea
buckeyepackfan (20-Feb) : 7 teams from each division make playoffs starting 2020. 17 game schedule coming lin a year or two.
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : it works every time if you are not viewing the forum. stupid, i know.
gbguy20 (20-Feb) : took me 4 tries to get that to go through. i can amost never get this chatbox to work anymore, and that is using the send button. no matter what device im using.
gbguy20 (20-Feb) : still don't have a new WR coach...i feel like this has been forgotten about.
Zero2Cool (20-Feb) : Adding something
KRK (19-Feb) : Z, I screwed up in the Cleveland thread wanting to start a new topic...1000 pardons
Zero2Cool (19-Feb) : Report: Josh Rosen 'likely' to stay in Miami
Zero2Cool (19-Feb) : What makes him a jackwagon?
gbguy20 (18-Feb) : jimmy still the highest paid jackwagon around
Zero2Cool (18-Feb) : Former Panthers TE Greg Olsen is signing a one-year, $7 million deal with the Seahawks, per @AdamSchefter
Packerchick (15-Feb) : yep its been awhile hasnt it
Packerchick (15-Feb) : yes I am
yooperfan (15-Feb) : It's been a while but are you the chick from the Ashland/Superior area?
wpr (15-Feb) : missing you
Packerchick (15-Feb) : everyone
Packerchick (15-Feb) : I missed everyoe
Packerchick (15-Feb) : Hello. Its been a long time for me here. How is everyone?
Zero2Cool (14-Feb) : Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency
Zero2Cool (11-Feb) : Former CB Davon House, who played six seasons in Green Bay, has retired as a member of the #Packers.
gbguy20 (11-Feb) : nope
beast (11-Feb) : I can't seem to pull up PFT articles on my phone, anyone else having this problem?
Zero2Cool (10-Feb) : Packers name Connor Lewis offensive quality control coach
Zero2Cool (10-Feb) : Vikings added former Packers’ DC Dom Capers to the 2020 coaching staff as senior defensive assistant.
Nonstopdrivel (9-Feb) : These guys look so much smaller than NFL players.
Nonstopdrivel (9-Feb) : The feed seems fuzzy. Are they broadcasting the games in SD?
Zero2Cool (9-Feb) : i did. it was entertaining. i'll watch again if its over the air
hardrocker950 (9-Feb) : anyone watching XFL?
Zero2Cool (8-Feb) : That should be gooder with the update. But gotta wait until it's stable
wpr (7-Feb) : I guess you have post, "Read, no additional comments."
Porforis (7-Feb) : I mean, I regularly lurk but I really don't pay attention to offseason moves, the draft, etc so I don't have much to add.
gbguy20 (6-Feb) : Hate the offseason. only like 17 active users here during the season and turns into 2 in the offseason
Zero2Cool (6-Feb) : Yeah, shout doesn't work while viewing the forum all that well.
wpr (6-Feb) : Hey! My shout finally worked. First time in a couple of weeks! Nice!
wpr (6-Feb) : It's been kind of slow around here.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys
Monday, Oct 14 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
RAIDERS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 7:20 PM
Chiefs
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
Chargers
Sunday, Nov 10 @ 3:25 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Dec 1 @ 12:00 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 8 @ 12:00 PM
REDSKINS
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 12:00 PM
BEARS
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
20m / Random Babble / wpr

4h / Around The NFL / Cheesey

6h / Random Babble / KRK

7h / Random Babble / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

23-Feb / Around The NFL / beast

23-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

20-Feb / GameDay Threads / Nonstopdrivel

19-Feb / Around The NFL / KRK

18-Feb / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.