Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:04:57 AM(UTC)
Quote:
@TomSilverstein
#Packers are going offense next in free agency. They have agreed to terms with Denver OL Billy Turner, according to an NFL source.

DoddPower  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:30:25 AM(UTC)
This looks like an overpay, but he helps keep Rodgers upright, so be it.
musccy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:02:46 AM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post

Agreed on overpay, but if he can effectively move around like his past suggests, his versatility could be worth it when Bulaga inevitably goes down.

Rockmolder  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:47:22 AM(UTC)
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post

I agree. Going by the numbers we have right now, he'd average out in the 15-20 in average salary per year for guards, while only ranking 33rd this year according to PFF.

The write-ups haven't been all that promising, either.

Walterfootball: Packers sign G/OT Billy Turner (4 years, $28 million):
Quote:
What the hell happened? The Packers made some terrific signings during the second day of unofficial free agency, obtaining the talented Za'Darius Smith, as well as Preston Smith and Adrian Amos for cheap deals. They were dominating free agency, but then this happened.

Some may describe Billy Turner as versatile because he can play both guard and right tackle. I would describe him as turnstile. Turner cannot block well. He's an OK backup because he can play multiple positions, but he's a huge liability as a starter. And given that the Packers are paying Turner $7 million per season, I assume they want him to be a starter.

I think this is a huge mistake, one that the Packers will ultimately regret. This is undoubtedly worth an "F" grade.

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top, as Turner has improved a lot since joining the Broncos, but it's a lot of money for someone who's been average his entire career.

I'm very curious as to what TJ Lang will get. If he goes somewhere on a 2-year, $ 12 million deal or something around that, I would've prefered him as a stop-gap option. But that's a lot of iffs, of course.
nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:11:43 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree. Going by the numbers we have right now, he'd average out in the 15-20 in average salary per year for guards, while only ranking 33rd this year according to PFF.

The write-ups haven't been all that promising, either.

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top, as Turner has improved a lot since joining the Broncos, but it's a lot of money for someone who's been average his entire career.

I'm very curious as to what TJ Lang will get. If he goes somewhere on a 2-year, $ 12 million deal or something around that, I would've prefered him as a stop-gap option. But that's a lot of iffs, of course.

Bear in mind, our new OL coach has no experience whatsoever. I mean, I'm sure they'll give him some help, but could be a trouble spot.
KRK  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:15:18 PM(UTC)
To me, this was the puzzler of the four selections. I would expect at least 2 linemen to be drafted in GB's top 4 picks.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:05:45 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post

I feel like that write-up is a bit over the top,

You forgot this part:

Quote:
FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY Grade

KRK  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:35:31 PM(UTC)
Some old Denver posts on Turner....they seem to think he was at least decent and appeared to be coming into his own....still seems like a bit of an overspend, but we shall see.

https://www.milehighrepo...turner-extension-broncos
The Denver Broncos have been trying to get offensive tackle Billy Turner locked in with an extension, but per Ian Rapoport those talks have broken down and Turner will now be a free agent next week.
Turner, 27, was a third-round selection by the Miami Dolphins in 2014 and had been with the Broncos since 2016. Turner was pressed into service early on last season as injuries began to mount on the offensive line. He player [sic] every snap in 11 games last year.
While Turner performed well under that situation, the Broncos clearly didn’t want to commit too much financially….
The Denver Broncos will need to address the offensive line in 2019. That much is no secret. But rather than searching high and low for the right combination of players, one of the answers could be on their own roster.
https://broncoswire.usat...-a-right-tackle-in-2019/
Billy Turner played quite well in relief last season and though he is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent when the new league year opens, the Broncos could re-sign him before he hits the open market.
At 27 years old, he is five years younger than the aging Jared Veldheer, who will also be an unrestricted free agent. Turner would be the much cheaper option as well….Turner is familiar with the team and is coming off a season in which he made 11 starts and played well while filling in for Veldheer. The Broncos could start him at the right tackle spot in 2019 while grooming another right tackle selected in the draft.…The Broncos have the chance to sign Turner before any other team gets a crack at him. It might not be a bad idea to make that move soon.
earthquake  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:32:41 PM(UTC)
Billy Turner, OL (Packers): Four years, $28MM. $9MM guaranteed, all via signing bonus. 2019 cap hit is $4.25MM. Salaries: $1.35MM (2019), $1.75MM (2020), $4.15MM (2021), $5.2MM (2020). Twitter link via Goessling, ESPN link via Rob Demovsky.

From: https://www.profootballr...-saffold-jackson-packers

Will be a lot if he ends up as a utility type backup guy, but probably not a terrible contract if he can be a starter at guard and fill in at RT in a pinch. Looks like the first two years are pretty light other than the signing bonus, and since only the bonus is guaranteed, he could be cut in 2021 if it doesn't pan out.
Rockmolder  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:01:18 AM(UTC)
earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post
Billy Turner, OL (Packers): Four years, $28MM. $9MM guaranteed, all via signing bonus. 2019 cap hit is $4.25MM. Salaries: $1.35MM (2019), $1.75MM (2020), $4.15MM (2021), $5.2MM (2020). Twitter link via Goessling, ESPN link via Rob Demovsky.

Will be a lot if he ends up as a utility type backup guy, but probably not a terrible contract if he can be a starter at guard and fill in at RT in a pinch. Looks like the first two years are pretty light other than the signing bonus, and since only the bonus is guaranteed, he could be cut in 2021 if it doesn't pan out.

Didn't know the exact numbers when I first reacted, but I fully agree with you. This contract is a lot better than I thought it'd be. Cutting him after 2 years still isn't exactly cheap, but it does net us about $ 4 mil in cap space, so we're not completely tied up.
Rockmolder  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:02:07 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
You forgot this part:

Quote:
FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY Grade

I figured that was complete overkill. Maybe if we signed him to a 6 year, $ 80 million contract.
macbob  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:52:00 PM(UTC)
earthquake said: Go to Quoted Post

Something's wrong with those contract numbers. They don't add up anywhere near $28M.

9+1.3+1.7+4+5=$21M plus change.

The signing bonus is $2.25M per year for the 4 years. If his cap hit this year is $4.25M, then the rest of his compensation in 2019 should be $2M ($4.25 - $2.25). That would make his total comp in 2019 $11M ($9M + $2M).

NOTE: That matches up with the Schefter's tweet in Zero's original post, which said he'd receive $11M in year 1.
Rss Feed