Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
go.pack.go.  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:00:17 PM(UTC)
Just got an update on my phone that the Raiders have released Jordy. I don’t know how to post that from my app to here.

Thoughts on potentially trying to bring him back?
Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:02:39 PM(UTC)
Whom would you cut to make room for him?
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:36:17 PM(UTC)
Why would we?
sschind  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:38:37 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Whom would you cut to make room for him?

Right now you have Adams, MVS, EQ, Moore and Davis under contract. A few other probably but they are not any I would cry over by losing. Allison has been tendered and will likely be back that's 6. Davis is only here because no one has been better than he is at returns but if there was a better player at another position I think we could safely part ways with him. There would be room for Jordy IF we wanted him. Personally I don't think we do.

go.pack.go.  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:38:51 PM(UTC)
Because all of our receivers last year pretty much sucked except for Davante.
Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:50:45 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go. said: Go to Quoted Post
Because all of our receivers last year pretty much sucked except for Davante.

Allison didn't suck.
Cobb didn't suck.
Scantling didn't suck.

The other two rookies... They were rookies.

Jordy was released so the offense would go through Davante. Ask Brian.
buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:59:44 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
Right now you have Adams, MVS, EQ, Moore and Davis under contract. A few other probably but they are not any I would cry over by losing. Allison has been tendered and will likely be back that's 6. Davis is only here because no one has been better than he is at returns but if there was a better player at another position I think we could safely part ways with him. There would be room for Jordy IF we wanted him. Personally I don't think we do.

Don't forget about Touchdown Jesus, Jake Kumerow.
Davis cant stay healthy, 3 2nd year guys who may or may not make the jump, and Kumerow.
Adams and Allison.

By the end of training camp there will be plenty of room for Jordy..

Whatever Gutey decides, it's something to discuss.

JORDY! JORDY! JORDY!

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

go.pack.go.  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:07:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Allison didn't suck.
Cobb didn't suck.
Scantling didn't suck.

The other two rookies... They were rookies.

Jordy was released so the offense would go through Davante. Ask Brian.

They didn’t suck. But they weren’t Jordy. No receivers other than Davante stepped up this past year, that was pretty obvious.

Nonstopdrivel  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:10:35 PM(UTC)
I will never understand this weird obsession Packers fans have with bringing back former players. Under Ted Thompson's administration, their nostalgic wishes were (in my opinion) far too often granted, but it remains to be seen whether Brian Gutekunst will emulate Thompson's example.

I know it's popular in some circles to shit on Green Bay's receiving corps, but I think the Packers have a surfeit of riches at the receiver position. Even if they don't draft a wide receiver or two and/or a tight end in this year's draft -- which they do most years -- they're likely to part ways with Cobb and possibly one of the marginal youngsters. What is the point of bringing in an aging veteran to play WR2 or WR3? Sure, as long as he stays healthy, he'll be productive, but who is he going to take reps from? Not Jimmy Graham or Davante Adams, surely, so that means the young guys. That might give the offense a decent boost for a season -- assuming Matt LaFleur doesn't move to a more balanced offensive style -- but won't he be holding back the development of players still on their rookie contracts? And that's not getting into the fact that he'll be a hell of a lot more expensive than they are.

To me the negatives outweigh the positives.
Nonstopdrivel  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:12:27 PM(UTC)
No receivers other than Davante stepped up this past year, that was pretty obvious.

Perhaps. The rookies certainly made their share of mistakes, but in plenty of instances, I don't think Aaron Rodgers was doing them any favors either.
buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:04:00 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel said: Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps. The rookies certainly made their share of mistakes, but in plenty of instances, I don't think Aaron Rodgers was doing them any favors either.

You just brought up the ONE player who matters.

Aaron Rodgers.
Would he rather be throwing to Davante, Allison and one of the rookies?
Or Davante, Allison and Jordy?
3 guys he trusts on the field.

Gutey didn't just spend 216mil over the next 4 years to win in 2 or 3 years.

He is all in for this year.

Bringing back Jordy Nelson one year will make The Packers better in 2019!
Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:19:09 PM(UTC)
They didn’t suck. But they weren’t Jordy. No receivers other than Davante stepped up this past year, that was pretty obvious.

Based on Brian comments. I think Jordy was let go so Davante could grow. That's why the offer was "insulting" they gave Jordy. They needed him gone so Davante is who the offense would go through.

For this reason, I don't see Jordy coming back.
Mucky Tundra  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:47:08 PM(UTC)
Any production Jordy could provide would be based solely on his rapport with Rodgers. Has no upside left. Let him go guys, let him go.
buckeyepackfan  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:47:08 PM(UTC)

Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Based on Brian comments. I think Jordy was let go so Davante could grow. That's why the offer was "insulting" they gave Jordy. They needed him gone so Davante is who the offense would go through.

For this reason, I don't see Jordy coming back.

What's he going to say, "I screwed up"
At the combine Jordy was still a Raider.
Circumstances have changed.

There's plenty of time.

Gutey said he wasn't going to leave any stone unturned when it came to FA.

What is the harm in contacting Jordys agent and see where they stand?

Every once in awhile it just makes sense to do the improbable

Never listen to the fans. Except........
go.pack.go.  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:15:29 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

There's plenty of time.

Exactly.

I’m not saying break the bank on him. But having him on the roster over somebody like Trevor Davis? That’s an absolute no brainer.

If he’s available for a good price, bring him back. His chemistry with Rodgers has always been second to none. We’re trying to win now, not rebuild for 5 years down the road.
DoddPower  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:50:30 PM(UTC)
No. The Packers need to do better than a slow old receiver.
beast  
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:10:26 PM(UTC)
Cobb did suck, and Gute did screw up by keeping Cobb at that price point, especially when 1) He could of had Nelson 2) Nelson was willing to sign a really cheap return deal until his personal meeting with Gute.... where Gute chased him off.

Packers struggles we're on 3rd downs and redzone, both would have been much better with Rodgers having Nelson as an option.

As far as going forward, I don't see Gute resigning Nelson unless it's a one day retirement contract. But it would still be hard to beat Rodgers targeting Nelson on a short yardage 3rd down or end zone conversation.
Rockmolder  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 4:39:52 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
Cobb did suck, and Gute did screw up by keeping Cobb at that price point, especially when 1) He could of had Nelson 2) Nelson was willing to sign a really cheap return deal until his personal meeting with Gute.... where Gute chased him off.

Third option is he could've cut them both and looked around on the FA market. Something that would've been a better route to take than either of those options.

Didn't hear about Nelson wanting to take a paycut to come back at first, but I can also make very little from the quote he gave about it.

Quote:
"I think the [pay cut] number was part of it, but also the conversation I had in the meeting," Nelson said. "I met with Brian and had a discussion because I had to get a feel for not just the pay cut but what their plans were going forward. After that meeting, there wasn't, I don't think, much desire there. I think with the combination of both, we decided what was best for myself and my family [just] as they decided what was best for them and the Packers."

Much desire can be anything from them stating that Davante would be the vocal point of the offense, to offering him just a 1 year contract, to asking him to make a take a bigger paycut than he anticipated. All very understandable reasons.

If something more concrete ever came out, I'd gladly hear it, btw.

Quote:
Packers struggles we're on 3rd downs and redzone, both would have been much better with Rodgers having Nelson as an option.

As far as going forward, I don't see Gute resigning Nelson unless it's a one day retirement contract. But it would still be hard to beat Rodgers targeting Nelson on a short yardage 3rd down or end zone conversation.

I agree. But certainly not at the price that the Raiders eventually paid for him. And at this point in his career, not at the price of releasing our current WRs, not drafting a WR high or cap room.
Rockmolder  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 4:50:42 AM(UTC)
Exactly.

I’m not saying break the bank on him. But having him on the roster over somebody like Trevor Davis? That’s an absolute no brainer.

If he’s available for a good price, bring him back. His chemistry with Rodgers has always been second to none. We’re trying to win now, not rebuild for 5 years down the road.

But what does chemistry bring you in the end, if Nelson just can't physically do it anymore?

It's like the 2008 Colts, who kept on to Marvin Harrison (a lot better player than Nelson ever was) because the chemistry between him and Peyton was second to none. It led to Peyton forcing the ball to a receiver that could no longer do it, physically, nabbing 20 catches away from the explosive Reggie Wayne and stopping Pierre Garcon from getting on the field.

I don't want Rodgers forcing it to Nelson because they know eachother. I'd like to see MVS more involved, us drafting a WR high and have Adams as our vocal point.

Even if Nelson himself would somehow agree to a $ 1 million, 1 year contract to play 4th string WR, you have to wonder if it's worth all the hassle between our new coach, Rodgers undoubtedly wanting to get Jordy more involved (if the offense hits a rough patch) and Jordy who's either in between the two parties or believes he's better than the guys on the field, as well.
Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 4:59:36 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

There's plenty of time.

Why would he say he screwed up? He didn't. He wanted the offense to go through Davante and with Jordy on the roster thay wasn't gonna happen.

I think this is interesting.

Quote:
"Normally, when you hand out a bonus for next year's season, there's a pretty good chance those guys are coming back," Gruden said Dec. 28. "If you watched Jordy play carefully the last four weeks when he's been healthy, you see what he's capable of doing. I think as we continue to improve this football team around some of the core guys that are here, I think you can even see better and better days ahead.

"So yeah, he'll be back."

It sounds kinda like Jordy might be having some health issues, or is that just coach being a douche?
Rss Feed