Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages<12

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 5:46:21 AM(UTC)
It is amazing the nostalgia for Jordy. I loved him when he was in his prime. The board has not only sailed. It is sunk under 1000 feet of water. He hasn't "lost a step". He's lost 2 or 3 "steps". Just because Aaron was comfortable with him doesn't mean Aaron is precluded from ever developing the same chemistry with Adams or another WR.

Telling us that Nelson is better than Davis is pretty sad. You are admitting Jordy is a WR5. Vet players with 10 years service time get $1,030,000 a year. I doubt Jordy would take less than $2,000,000. You don't give that much money to a WR4 or WR5. Plus WR at 4 and 5 need to play ST. He won't.

By comparison rookies min salary is $495,000. He will never out produce Parris Campbell who GB will take with the 30th pick.Laugh
buckeyepackfan  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:00:16 AM(UTC)
Paris Campbell will be available in the lower 2nd to mid 3rd rnd.

They are not taking him at 30.

They give Jordy a contract, he will be #3.

Gruden already paid him 3.5mil for this year, hell until his agent and other players stepped in he was atrongly considering the bullshit offer Gutey made him last time.

Who know what is going to happen?

I say The 2019 Packers would be better if they decide to being Jordy back!
Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:16:09 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post

Gruden already paid him 3.5mil for this year, hell until his agent and other players stepped in he was atrongly considering the bullshit offer Gutey made him last time.

You do not sign a WR who is 33 years old to be your WR3. Especially when you have three WR's going into their second season. How do you expect them to develop if they are buried on the depth chart?

Valdez-Scantling (sp?) an Geronimo are going to have a helluva battle for WR2 spot and the loser gets WR3. You have J'Mon Moore working crazy to improve his footwork so he'll be battling for WR4 spot with St. Brown.

I love Jordy Nelson, but unless he bathes in a fount of youth, the time has passed. I think he retires.
buckeyepackfan  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:29:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
You do not sign a WR who is 33 years old to be your WR3. Especially when you have three WR's going into their second season. How do you expect them to develop if they are buried on the depth chart?

Valdez-Scantling (sp?) an Geronimo are going to have a helluva battle for WR2 spot and the loser gets WR3. You have J'Mon Moore working crazy to improve his footwork so he'll be battling for WR4 spot with St. Brown.

I love Jordy Nelson, but unless he bathes in a fount of youth, the time has passed. I think he retires.

I said sign him, by the end of training camp he would be #3.

These young guys are going to be good.

Learning a whole new system, more importantly, gaining Aaron's trust, Jordy will surpass them in training camp.

You only have to look at the past few years to know that The Packers are going to need more than 5 or 6 recievers to get through the year.
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:30:57 AM(UTC)
I said sign him, by the end of training camp he would be #3.

These young guys are going to be good.

Learning a whole new system, more importantly, gaining Aaron's trust, Jordy will surpass them in training camp.

You only have to look at the past few years to know that The Packers are going to need more than 5 or 6 recievers to get through the year.

Fine, let's flip a coin to see who's won this debate.

Heads I win, Tails you lose.

Call it in the air!
buckeyepackfan  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:40:20 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Fine, let's flip a coin to see who's won this debate.

Heads I win, Tails you lose.

Call it in the air!

Hell 99% of the fans want him back.
Bring him in for training camp and he decides to retire or gets cut, the fans will get their closure.

Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:12:28 AM(UTC)
Bring him in for training camp and he decides to retire or gets cut, the fans will get their closure.

Actually, I think it's the other way around, which has really surprised me. I haven't found many fans who have said bring him back. You're kind of the outlier here. Which is surprising because I thought you were wanting the Packers to win. (see what I did there!) Only joking about that last part, but yeah you're really the only one I've been reading that is wanting him back. Oh, you and Jason Wilde. The rest I've been reading say Jordy was great, but isn't anymore and it's not worth stunting the growth of the three young WR we currently have.
Smokey  
#28 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:25:54 AM(UTC)
Jordy Nelson's time in GB ended and for valid reasons. I honor his time with the Packer's, but time waits for no man. Perhaps he will find a home with a Tampa or Arizona or Cincinnati. BigGrin
earthquake  
#29 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:35:34 AM(UTC)
My guess, the only way Jordy is back is if one of the top 3 or so WRs gets injured and they need to bring a vet in mid-season a la James Jones. Will Jordy find a new team before then? That's certainly possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't at this point in his career.

Like a few people have mentioned, there aren't many teams that want to have a 33 year old WR as their #4/5, spots they generally keep for developing players. So if he gets signed it's probably by a team in dire need of WRs who will play him as #2/3. Assuming everyone is healthy, I think Jordy would be #4 at best for the Packers.
wpr  
#30 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 8:52:25 AM(UTC)

So very wrong.
He's got decent size. He can flat out fly. He's hands are not in question any more. He's is making a move up the draft boards. This kid is going mid 1st to mid 2nd round.

Ahead of him are D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Brown. Metcalf is a little bigger and a little slower. He will probably be gone by #30. Brown is only an inch smaller but he's also 40 pounds lighter. Too small for me personally. Plus he has injury issues that will drop him to the 3rd round.

Quote:
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.35.
Projected Round (2019): 1-3.
3/7/19: It was widely known in the scouting community that Campbell was extremely fast and a superb athlete. He then put that on display at the combine with a tremendous 40 time of 4.31 seconds. What was just as important was Campbell looking good at catching passes in the field drills because there are concerns about his hands. In speaking with a general manager after the wide receiver workout, they said Campbell was one of the most impressive players and really helped himself.

Read more: http://walterfootball.co...2019WR.php#ixzz5iFuccjcw

As Zero says there is no way Jordy will be WR3. As Bob Seger says, "Turn the page."
TheKanataThrilla  
#31 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 9:27:54 AM(UTC)
Andy Isabella can flat out fly and run routes. I hope he is our 3rd round pick.
sschind  
#32 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 10:04:47 AM(UTC)
I'm not sure Jordy would want to come back. I'm sure he loved it here and still loves the players, fans and even the organization but there are a few things going against him wanting to come back.

First of all, if it were me and I wanted to keep playing and the Packers were the only option then yeah but if I had a choice between another team that wants me and the team that gave up on me I might go with the team that wants me.

Second, So many people are saying he would be super cheap (that phrase was used by several people in another forum I frequent) . Since he was only offered super cheap to stay last year why would Gute offer more for him to come back? and if he didn't stay for super cheap last year why would he come back for super cheap this year.

Third, Jordy got a lot more money and a chance to prove he could still play. He did OK but I doubt it was enough for Gute to think he is worth more money. Perhaps another team might see what he did and think he is still worth 3-4 million and if so why wouldn't he take that? As I said before Gute isn't paying that.

Lastly, if he did take a minimum offer to come back what would that say about his skills or more precisely his own views about his skills. He left to prove he could still play at a high level last year. If he comes back it would be like a dog with his tail between his legs admitting that maybe Gute was right and he wasn't worth any more than minimum.

IMO there are so many reasons for him not to want to come back. Most of them are form the standpoint of him feeling wanted. Maybe he is a big enough person (and I think he is) to put it all behind him but he would have to still want to play very badly.

My hope is that he retires, signs a one day contract to retire a Packer and in the minimum number of years he will be elected into the Packer HOF. Within a couple of years, if it takes that long, people will be looking at a picture of him in a Raiders uniform and saying "this Photoshop of Jordy in a Raiders uniform is really good. It almost looks like he did play for them at one time." No one will ever think of Jordy Nelson as anything more than a Green Bay Packer.

As far as him actually helping the team. I think Allison, EQ, MVS or JMoore are all equally capable of putting up the same or better numbers as Jordy would. the one benefit he might bring is the connection that he had with Rodgers (and would that still be there?) and his ability to know what to do on broken plays and the like.

Bottom line, if I'm Jordy I take the 3 million dollar bonus the Raiders paid me in Decemeber, call it a career and come back to be worshiped by the Packer faithful.
buckeyepackfan  
#33 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 10:36:12 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
So very wrong.
He's got decent size. He can flat out fly. He's hands are not in question any more. He's is making a move up the draft boards. This kid is going mid 1st to mid 2nd round.

Ahead of him are D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Brown. Metcalf is a little bigger and a little slower. He will probably be gone by #30. Brown is only an inch smaller but he's also 40 pounds lighter. Too small for me personally. Plus he has injury issues that will drop him to the 3rd round.

Read more: http://walterfootball.co...2019WR.php#ixzz5iFuccjcw

As Zero says there is no way Jordy will be WR3. As Bob Seger says, "Turn the page."

We'll all know at the end of April.
Nonstopdrivel  
#34 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 12:37:38 PM(UTC)

Says the man who writes: "Never trust the fans." Flapper
wpr  
#35 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:42:19 PM(UTC)
We'll all know at the end of April.

That's part of the fun.
wpr  
#36 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:42:58 PM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure Jordy would want to come back. I'm sure he loved it here and still loves the players, fans and even the organization but there are a few things going against him wanting to come back.

First of all, if it were me and I wanted to keep playing and the Packers were the only option then yeah but if I had a choice between another team that wants me and the team that gave up on me I might go with the team that wants me.

Second, So many people are saying he would be super cheap (that phrase was used by several people in another forum I frequent) . Since he was only offered super cheap to stay last year why would Gute offer more for him to come back? and if he didn't stay for super cheap last year why would he come back for super cheap this year.

Third, Jordy got a lot more money and a chance to prove he could still play. He did OK but I doubt it was enough for Gute to think he is worth more money. Perhaps another team might see what he did and think he is still worth 3-4 million and if so why wouldn't he take that? As I said before Gute isn't paying that.

Lastly, if he did take a minimum offer to come back what would that say about his skills or more precisely his own views about his skills. He left to prove he could still play at a high level last year. If he comes back it would be like a dog with his tail between his legs admitting that maybe Gute was right and he wasn't worth any more than minimum.

IMO there are so many reasons for him not to want to come back. Most of them are form the standpoint of him feeling wanted. Maybe he is a big enough person (and I think he is) to put it all behind him but he would have to still want to play very badly.

My hope is that he retires, signs a one day contract to retire a Packer and in the minimum number of years he will be elected into the Packer HOF. Within a couple of years, if it takes that long, people will be looking at a picture of him in a Raiders uniform and saying "this Photoshop of Jordy in a Raiders uniform is really good. It almost looks like he did play for them at one time." No one will ever think of Jordy Nelson as anything more than a Green Bay Packer.

As far as him actually helping the team. I think Allison, EQ, MVS or JMoore are all equally capable of putting up the same or better numbers as Jordy would. the one benefit he might bring is the connection that he had with Rodgers (and would that still be there?) and his ability to know what to do on broken plays and the like.

Bottom line, if I'm Jordy I take the 3 million dollar bonus the Raiders paid me in Decemeber, call it a career and come back to be worshiped by the Packer faithful.

Well said.
steveishere  
#37 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 8:13:14 AM(UTC)
I say go with what we got plus maybe a draft pick if the right guy is on the board and if something bad happens like Davante getting hurt then maybe see if Jordy is still out there and willing to come back, if not no big loss really.
sschind  
#38 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 2:09:51 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I say go with what we got plus maybe a draft pick if the right guy is on the board and if something bad happens like Davante getting hurt then maybe see if Jordy is still out there and willing to come back, if not no big loss really.

We need a slot guy to replace Cobb. If we go with what we got I will be very disappointed and very worried. Parris Campbell, Deebo Samuel are just two names I have heard bandied about for us to take and if its not one of these guys it has to be someone else. Oddly enough in my 33 draftee first draft draft I got them both (plus Hockenson) despite not picking until the 4th pick in the 3rd round.

Rss Feed