Rockmolder
5 years ago

If you're at 12, and you have six guys you want and someone offers you a 2nd rounder to move back 3-4 spots, you take that 2nd rounder. That's the thinking I'd have. If there's a chance the player i really want won't be there where I'm gonna have my next pick, heck no.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I fully agree. Trading down is such a situational thing, that it's hard to say anything sensible about it.

In theory, I'd like to say staying at 12 would be best. We don't pick that high up in the draft all that often and going for quality of quantity feels like the right move to make.

That said, the way the draft might pan out makes it pretty easy to make a case for trading down. There's 2 guys who won't make it out of the top 4 in Bosa and Williams and another 4 who won't make it to 12 in Allen, Taylor, White and Gary. Add to that the 2 QBs who will most likely be gone in the top 10 and all the elite talent (at valuable positions and without red flags) is gone by pick 8, 9 or 10.

There's a huge cluster of players who are pretty even in terms of talent behind that. A lot of those players could go anywhere from 10 to 25. Thinking about the 3 first round wide receivers, for instance. It's down to if you like Metcalf's athletic ability, Brown's production or Campbell who's between the two in terms of potential/production. They'll most likely go in the order I mentioned them, but I would be fine with either of those 3.

Looking at it like that, you might as well drop down to 15 and get an extra 3rd from Washington, because they want to take a QB or drop down even further and get an extra second. That way drafting a guard with our first pick would become a more realistic option, as well, making KRK the happiest man on the planet.

What I find really exciting (but hoping won't happen) is that Gute has shown some real aggressiveness. If that translates into this draft, as well, he could do something crazy like trade up for Devin White. I wouldn't be that big a fan, because it'd cost us our two 1sts, but he'd really be the cherry on top in regards to the overhaul of our defense this year.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Thinking about the 3 first round wide receivers, for instance. It's down to if you like Metcalf's athletic ability, Brown's production or Campbell who's between the two in terms of potential/production. They'll most likely go in the order I mentioned them, but I would be fine with either of those 3.

Looking at it like that, you might as well drop down to 15 and get an extra 3rd from Washington, because they want to take a QB or drop down even further and get an extra second. That way drafting a guard with our first pick would become a more realistic option, as well, making KRK the happiest man on the planet.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I agree with your outlook on the WR but wonder what you think about Brown's size. I think he's only 5-9 and 166 pounds. (up 6 pounds from earlier reports.) That's about what I was in high school. I know he's fast and strong. no one would have ever thought I could play at the lowest levels of collegiate football so I am not really trying to compare myself to him. I don't think he can put on very much weight and still have his elite speed. Then again as the season wears on it would be easy to see him losing weight as the grind of the season takes it's toll. I can see him getting the kick return duties for whatever team signs him. He just seems like an injury waiting to happen.

Grute IS aggressive. What if he trades back for another 3rd the packages the 3rds and moves back into the 2nd? THAT would be Grute-like.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

I agree with your outlook on the WR but wonder what you think about Brown's size. I think he's only 5-9 and 166 pounds. (up 6 pounds from earlier reports.) That's about what I was in high school. I know he's fast and strong. no one would have ever thought I could play at the lowest levels of collegiate football so I am not really trying to compare myself to him. I don't think he can put on very much weight and still have his elite speed. Then again as the season wears on it would be easy to see him losing weight as the grind of the season takes it's toll. I can see him getting the kick return duties for whatever team signs him. He just seems like an injury waiting to happen.

Grute IS aggressive. What if he trades back for another 3rd the packages the 3rds and moves back into the 2nd? THAT would be Grute-like.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I feel like he's extremely light, but that he has two big things going for him.

Firstly, there's proof that there's a place for undersized, explosive guys in today's NFL. DeSean Jackson and Tyreek Hill come to mind, instantly. DeSean plays at 5'10, 175 and Tyreek at 5'10, 185. Both a bit taller and heavier, but DeSeaon came into the league at 169. There's some room left on Brown's frame to put on a bit of muscle, as well. I think that's the main reason he's consistently slotted towards the back of the 1st round. If he had Tyreek's height and weight, he'd be gone by 15.

Secondly, he'd really be an addition to our roster. Adams is a slow possesion guy, Allison is a slow possesion guy, Moore is a slow possesion guy and MVS and St. Brown both have some speed, but they're long striders who have to get into top gear. He'd be the perfect complement to our group of receivers. Someone who can take a screen to the house, but also take the top off of a defense on a double move.

That doesn't take away the concerns you mentioned, though. It's just that those concerns are the reason he could still be around at 30 and, stacked up against other potential players still there, I'd take that chance.
nerdmann
5 years ago

Firstly, there's proof that there's a place for undersized, explosive guys in today's NFL. DeSean Jackson and Tyreek Hill come to mind, instantly. DeSean plays at 5'10, 175 and Tyreek at 5'10, 185. Both a bit taller and heavier, but DeSeaon came into the league at 169. There's some room left on Brown's frame to put on a bit of muscle, as well. I think that's the main reason he's consistently slotted towards the back of the 1st round. If he had Tyreek's height and weight, he'd be gone by 15.

Secondly, he'd really be an addition to our roster. Adams is a slow possesion guy, Allison is a slow possesion guy, Moore is a slow possesion guy and MVS and St. Brown both have some speed, but they're long striders who have to get into top gear. He'd be the perfect complement to our group of receivers. Someone who can take a screen to the house, but also take the top off of a defense on a double move.

That doesn't take away the concerns you mentioned, though. It's just that those concerns are the reason he could still be around at 30 and, stacked up against other potential players still there, I'd take that chance.

I look at Davante as a short area quickness guy. Jmon too. They can get open over the middle.

However the fact remains these "smaller, quicker" jitterbug guys are in vogue right now, particularly in this new Shannahan type offense we will be running.

Aaron Jones is probably 5' 9" in heels. He's already gonna be highlighted. Then again, can he stay healthy?

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
5 years ago
I'm terrified that we draft white. Very risky pick
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

Aaron Jones is probably 5' 9" in heels.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What makes you say that? He's listed at 5'10'' officially.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Thanks Rocky. You know I value your assessments of players. I realize he has speed and skill. I am mainly concerned his size. NFL players take a lot of more of a beating than college kids do. Week end and week out there are no gaps in the schedule. There are no games against FCS or weak conference teams. I wonder if he is going to be injured. The difference between 166 and 185 can be huge when taking a hit from a safety.

Nerd- I didn't say all players need to be over 6' in order to succeed.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
wpr (32m) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (35m) : *game plan
Martha Careful (1h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (4h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.