nerdmann
4 years ago

Was giving him the big contract a gamble? Yes. But he still is one of the best QBs in the NFL. I for one am not in a hurry to return to the 1970s and 1980s, where we considered beating the Bears one game made it a good season.
The younger people on this site have no idea what it’s like to be long time losers. They are used to the Packers being competitive.
The chances of getting another great QB to follow Favre and Rodgers is slim at best.
Look at all the teams in the NFL that have drafted QB after QB, HOPING to get one that would be their franchise QB, only to have another bust.
We have been so fortunate.
We just had 2 bad seasons. Imagine having that for the next 20 or so years.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

If he plays like he did last year, it will be closer to 1985 than 2010.

Fortunately Murphy hired a guy who made a Pro Bowler out of Rookie RBGIII, and also exhibited his skillset elsewhere, to salvage the rest of Aaron's career.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Well done KRK. I am going to up my game and call Rourke, Dr NSD. My brother, by the way, hates it when I call him, "Dr Scott" in non formal occasions. Sometimes I do it just to piss him off a little. Mainly because I can. Other times I am trying to give him credit for his efforts.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago
You can have an opinion as to whether it was a mistake or not (I don't have an opinion one way or the other at this point) but no one can say for sure. We probably won't know for another 2 years at the very least and probably more. In fact we may not be able to say one way or the other until Aaron is done. If we win another SB with Aaron Rodgers then the answer will probably be no it wasn't a mistake. If we come close but can't pull it off then the answer is probably maybe and if we fail to make the playoffs or be a serious contender because AR's cap numbers prevent us from putting talent around him then the answer will most likely be yes it was a mistake. As it stands though no one can answer that question.
Cheesey
4 years ago
True, Sschind. The only way we will know if it was good or bad will be how the Packers do from here on out.
It’s easy for us to throw out opinions, but we aren’t the ones that will take the heat or the accolades depending on how it turns out.
I’m glad they signed him long term.
If it blows up, so be it.
I’d rather have it this way then having to worry each year whether or not Aaron Rodgers will be our QB.
If they pick up on defense (not allowing score after score) and our 2nd year WRs grow as they should, we should have a strong team and shot at a championship.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago

True, Sschind. The only way we will know if it was good or bad will be how the Packers do from here on out.
It’s easy for us to throw out opinions, but we aren’t the ones that will take the heat or the accolades depending on how it turns out.
I’m glad they signed him long term.
If it blows up, so be it.
I’d rather have it this way then having to worry each year whether or not Aaron Rodgers will be our QB.
If they pick up on defense (not allowing score after score) and our 2nd year WRs grow as they should, we should have a strong team and shot at a championship.
JMO of course.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

That's pretty much how I see it. I know they could have had him for two more years under contract and then at least 1 year of the franchise tag but then what. I highly doubt it would have ever come to that and I don't think I would have wanted it to. Going that route IMO would have almost guaranteed we would be looking for a new starting QB after the 2020 season as I think Rodgers would have been pissed off enough to play for the franchise tender and then leave. If not they would have to give him way too much money for an old guy anyway. Most likely Rodgers would have played last year and they would have been looking to redo the contract now and racing the Seahawks to get the deal done before the re-upped Wilson and set the bar even higher.

Some people were worried about his shoulder and would have preferred to wait and I understand that but honestly it didn't worry me that much. I think Rodgers is still a top 5 QB with the talent to be the top guy for the next few years and if he is they would have ended up paying him anyway.

Russel Wilson will reset the bar in the next dew weeks and in a year or two someone else will reset it again. I don't really like it but that's the way it is right now and I don't see it changing any time soon.

gbguy20
4 years ago
The Seahawks will not pay him that much.
sschind
4 years ago

The Seahawks will not pay him that much.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I guess I honestly don't see it happening either. I can see some sort of wording or structuring that makes it seem like he is getting more but in reality it won't be.

Cheesey
4 years ago
It’s frustrating. How much money is enough? I mean, you can only spend so much in a lifetime.
And Rodgers shoulder doesn’t worry me that much. It’s a collar bone, not a rotator cuff. With the metal bar put in, it should be stronger then it was before the injury.
Now that he has a season behind him, he can R*E*L*A*X and play like we know he can.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Ya all ever think about THAT?

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
It most likely had a lot to do with his lack of accuracy last year.
I just hope it’s all healed.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.