MintBaconDrivel
4 years ago

GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers pivoted the conversation quickly, unexpectedly.

One moment, the Green Bay Packers quarterback had been reminiscing during an ESPN Wisconsin interview about his good friend Jordy Nelson and the connection the two had shared during a decade of playing throw-and-catch. The next, Rodgers was coming off his former primary target and describing the greatness of — and uniqueness of — Davante Adams, his now-No. 1 pass-catcher.

Rodgers had been joking about the public perception that Nelson would end his brief retirement if his old quarterback called him — something Nelson had said during an interview on the nationally syndicated Dan Patrick Show.

“I saw something that all I had to do was call him, and he’ll come back,” Rodgers said with a chuckle. “Let me just tell you, it’s not that easy.”

Rodgers, of course, had wanted Nelson back last season, but general manager Brian Gutekunst had other ideas, cutting Nelson with one year left on his contract. Rodgers was not pleased, but in Gutekunst’s mind, the move was necessary because he believed Adams, entering his fifth NFL season, needed to be the clear-cut go-to guy, even as he’d usurped Nelson during the 2017 season and had emerged as the team’s obvious No. 1 target.

“I think there’s always times you look back and (question yourself), but in that particular instance, no, I don’t regret that at all,” Gutekunst explained at the annual NFL scouting combine in February. “I think obviously Davante was an emerging player that the offense needed to go through — and I think you saw what he was able to do last year.”

Nelson played his final NFL season with the Oakland Raiders in 2018 and retired last month after the Raiders cut him and the Packers expressed no interest in bringing him back.

“Those are tough decisions. Those are really tough decisions,” Gutekunst said. “But I think for our football team at that moment, it was the right decision.”

All of which led to the conversation earlier this week about Nelson — and, in turn, Adams. Rodgers was asked if he’d ever had more of a connection with a receiver than he’d had with Nelson.

“In our time, when we’re really, really, really rolling, no,” Rodgers said. Then, a pause. And a smile. “But this 17 we got — you might know him, he goes by the name of ‘Davante’ — he’s special.

“He is a different type of guy than we’ve ever had. From a personality standpoint, he’s a fantastic locker room guy, a great leader, and he’s scary enough in his room and in the locker room that guys listen to him. Because he’s passionate. And people follow passion.

“When somebody is passionate about something, it could be any walk of life, it could be any type of job. When somebody is passionate about something in a position of leadership, people follow. And that’s the kind of guy he is. And then when you’re talking about his ability at the line of scrimmage to beat people, (he’s) fast enough to get on top, athletic enough after he catches the ball. He’s a different type of player.”

Adams finished last season with 111 receptions (one fewer than Sterling Sharpe’s franchise record of 112, set in 1993), 1,386 receiving yards (133 shy of Nelson’s team record of 1,519, set in 2014) and 13 touchdowns (five shy of Sharpe’s club record of 18, set in 1994). He almost certainly would have broken the reception record had he not sat out the season finale against Detroit with a knee injury.

Told of Rodgers’ comments, Adams shrugged.

“Anytime a guy of that caliber mentions you in a light like that, it's obviously pretty flattering. But at the same time, I don't like to sit here and think about it too much, because there's a lot more work to be done,” he said. “I think he's said that about me in the past, too.

“I've just got to continue to elevate and be consistent. I want to try to do as much of that this season as I can. I want to be the same guy every week, if not getting better.”

That includes the receiver-room leadership Rodgers spoke of. With Nelson long gone and veteran Randall Cobb having left as a free agent after eight seasons, the 26-year-old Adams is the unquestioned leader of the pack.

And with no other significant experience in the room — the next-most experienced receivers are Geronimo Allison and Trevor Davis, who are going into their fourth seasons and have 63 career receptions, which is the same number of catches as Nelson had in 15 games in Oakland in 2018 — it’ll be Adams showing the way for youngsters Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J’Mon Moore and Jake Kumerow.

“Nothing is going to change for me, really — other than I just need to put a little more on my plate as far as leadership,” Adams said. “But I felt like the past few years I’ve really taken on that role and put as much on my plate as I can. The guys look up to me a lot, so just continue to lead by example. I feel like that’s the big thing guys follow. They see I’m doing things the right way and I don’t necessarily have to bark at guys as much.

“The young guys who approached me throughout the offseason, a few of them reached out and said, ‘Hey, I know last year we may have come in like rookies, or played the rookie card for a minute, but the mindset is there.’ I definitely saw a lot of them getting it in this offseason. That makes a guy like me feel really good because I attack every offseason viciously. To see that, it makes me feel good being a vet in the room.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/in-davante-adams-aaron-rodgers-believes-packers-have-a-different/article_dee13178-a9c7-5fb3-b1bc-fd4397cfa122.html 

Jason wilde wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago
Told of Rodgers’ comments, Adams shrugged.

“Anytime a guy of that caliber mentions you in a light like that, it's obviously pretty flattering. But at the same time, I don't like to sit here and think about it too much, because there's a lot more work to be done,” he said. “I think he's said that about me in the past, too.

“I've just got to continue to elevate and be consistent. I want to try to do as much of that this season as I can. I want to be the same guy every week, if not getting better.”

Seems the teaching of how to be a Packer wr has been passed on to Davante.
He now becomes the teacher.

No diva receivers in Green Bay!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
gbguy20
4 years ago
"Davante Adams is not special." - Smokey
Cheesey
4 years ago

"Davante Adams is not special." - Smokey

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Yeah.....I saw that. 😂
We should ignore what Aaron Rodgers says, Adams caught 111 balls and almost 1400 yards only because Rodgers is great. It had very little to do with Adams being a exceptional WR.

You could put almost ANYBODY out there and they would be able to do that.

Rodgers was off his game last year (and I believe it was because of the knee/leg injury) yet Adams caught 111 balls, and did it in 15 games.
But Davante is just Barely above average WR.
Yeah......right.😂
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Yeah.....I saw that. 😂
We should ignore what Aaron Rodgers says, Adams caught 111 balls and almost 1400 yards only because Rodgers is great. It had very little to do with Adams being a exceptional WR.

You could put almost ANYBODY out there and they would be able to do that.

Rodgers was off his game last year (and I believe it was because of the knee/leg injury) yet Adams caught 111 balls, and did it in 15 games.
But Davante is just Barely above average WR.
Yeah......right.😂

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

We're all about opinions, lets try to disagree with a little more tact. Thanks.

Davante is a special WR, no question about it. Far better than above average, as indicated by his stats. We can try to discredit his numbers because of having an elite QB, but check out what he did with Brett Hundley throwing him the ball. Now what's the excuse?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Zero, I actually felt I showed restraint in my response.
But ok.
I just hope it applies to everyone here.
Hmm.....I think I hear laughing.....😂
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Zero, I actually felt I showed restraint in my response.
But ok.
I just hope it applies to everyone here.
Hmm.....I think I hear laughing.....😂

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Just trying make sure we don't go off the rails bud.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Yup....I get it.....we ALL know how ca-RAY-zee I am! I’m just a trouble maker!😂 😝 😂
How have you put up with me for so many years???🤬 😂 🤣 😂
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Cheesey you are a bully and a terrible person.
Cheesey
4 years ago
Mods....Dey be BUSY!😂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (27m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.