Zero2Cool
4 years ago
I'd be okay with a Ball if Fame QB at 30. 2005 strategy all over!

The Packers bringing Missouri quarterback Drew Lock in for a visit wasn't just a one-off chance to meet a particular guy. They're apparently trying to cast a wide net. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Packers were trying to arrange a visit for Duke's Daniel Jones, but were unable to get him in. [more]

Continue Reading @ Darin Gantt 

Darin Gantt wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago
Misdirection?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
I love this kid, he the next guy to build a dynasty around

Daniel Jones, Coach Cut and the Manning Connection

By KALYN KAHLER February 07, 2019
David Cutcliffe is driving south on I-85. Duke’s head coach had a busy day in Atlanta, hopping from high school to high school recruiting. Tonight, he’ll speak to a group of Alabama high school football coaches in Montgomery, but his thoughts keep turning to another part of the state, where Daniel Jones, the quarterback he’s coached for the last four years, is in the middle of a crucial week at Senior Bowl.

“I don’t even have time to check the internet and it’s frustrating because I am actually a nervous wreck,” Cutcliffe says. “I can’t help but to be.”

Cutcliffe knows being there would be more distracting than helpful, because Jones is rarely referenced without mention of his coach, who also developed Peyton and Eli Manning. “I’d love to be there,” Cutcliffe says, “but I’d have to put a disguise on.”

Jones is one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2019 draft class; there’s a lot to like about him. He’s 6' 5", 220 lbs, he’s accurate, he’s shown an ability to read defenses and manipulate coverage with his eyes, and he’s resilient—he broke his collarbone early in the 2018 season at Northwestern, had surgery to fix it, and returned to the field just 20 days later.

NFL teams have questions about his arm strength, and he could stand to speed up his release, but as of right now, most scouts I’ve talked to predict he’ll be the second or third quarterback picked. Jones threw two interceptions during seven-on-seven work at a Senior Bowl practice and was outperformed by another top prospect, Missouri quarterback Drew Lock. When it came to the actual game, Jones outplayed Lock in an MVP performance. One NFL scout said that right now, Jones and Lock are quarterbacks 2a and 2b behind Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, and it will depend on what a team is looking for in their quarterback. The same scout said that in his view, “Jones gets the edge because of Cutcliffe.”

Cutcliffe’s most successful pupil concurs. “Daniel has a real advantage because he has been coached by Coach Cutcliffe,” Peyton Manning says… “or Coach Cut, as everyone calls him.”

Cutcliffe was Peyton Manning’s quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee, and Eli Manning’s head coach at Ole Miss. “My dad had the biggest impact on me, but after that it was Coach Cut,” Peyton says. “Because he got me from [age] 18 to 22 and developed me.”

Every offseason during his NFL career, Peyton paid a visit to Cutcliffe wherever he was coaching—Ole Miss, Tennessee or Duke. “I’d go back for a tuneup, like a golfer going back to his first swing coach,” Peyton says. “He is very candid, he’ll always point out any bad habits that you have. As you get older in the NFL that’s the biggest challenge, being on top of fundamentals and details, and that is his strength.”

Even though he is now retired, Peyton still went back to Duke with Eli last offseason, and Jones was there to pick the brothers’ brains. Jones was a counselor at the Manning Passing Academy for two years, and has developed a relationship with the Mannings because of their connection to Cutcliffe. Peyton says he was even part of Jones’s decision process to forego his final year eligibility at Duke and enter the draft. “We spent a decent amount of time talking about what he was going to do,” Peyton says. “My advice to him was, it’s up to you to make the right decision by what you do now, going to work and going all the way.”

When Jones decided to declare for the draft, he called Peyton to let him know his final decision.

Cutcliffe has his own unique vocabulary of quarterback-isms, which is often subconsciously repeated by players he has coached. You’ll hear it in Peyton’s dialogue on his Details show on ESPN+, and you’ll hear certain phrases pop up in interviews with Jones. Do the right things in practice. Fast-twitch decisions. No feet, defeat. We train a quarterback from the neck up and the neck down. And Peyton’s personal favorite: There’s a completion out there somewhere on first down.

In his NFL career, Peyton was known for his devotion to study and preparation—the neck up—which is something he picked up in part from Cutcliffe. Jones’s private quarterbacks coach, David Morris, was Eli Manning’s backup at Ole Miss. Morris remembers that each week on the night before the game, Cutcliffe would sit them down for a QB test. “We used to sit in a room and go over signals,” he says. “Eli would always beat me, he has a better memory than I do. Coach Cut is all about the details, so it requires a lot of studying in order to be good under those guys.

In interviews with teams at the Senior Bowl, Jones says the topic of his relationship with the Mannings and Cutcliffe came up frequently, and the conversation always came back to that familiar word: preparation. “People are interested in my connection with Peyton and Eli and how they have helped me and I am certainly willing to share that,” he says. “I think those guys have impacted the way I prepared and made an impression on how important preparing is.”

“We spend a lot of time in the classroom,” says Cutcliffe. “One of the reasons our guys will succeed is they know the work ethic, they know the study, they know the amount of time it takes to prepare, and Daniel is tremendous from the neck up.”

Jones, who played high school football in-state at Charlotte Latin School, was initially overlooked by Duke. He was a bit of late bloomer and grew taller between his junior and senior years. During basketball season his junior year he broke his right wrist, but didn’t realize it until May of that year. He underwent surgery on his throwing wrist and, because of the early summer timing, missed his chance to get noticed by major programs on the camp circuit. Jones committed to Princeton, the only school that had offered him, until Morris, who by then had been coaching Jones for two years, called his old coach Cutcliffe. “I know y'all got a quarterback,” Morris told him. “But you really need to check out this kid.”

Then Cutcliffe’s phone rang again. It was Larry McNulty, Jones’s high school coach at Charlotte Latin School. “Coach, I think he is better than Princeton,” McNulty said. “I know you’ll know when you take a look.”

Cutcliffe put on the tape and called McNulty back. “Don’t you call anybody else,” Cutcliffe said. “You’re right, and we want him at Duke.”

Charlotte Latin had one game left on the schedule, so Cutcliffe assigned Scottie Montgomery, then Duke’s offensive coordinator, to go to the game. Montgomery loved what he saw. Jones loved Duke so much he committed without a scholarship offer (the Blue Devils had already filled their recruiting class). In July, a scholarship opened up for him. “The recruiting process is a little faulty these days when you don’t really get to evaluate seniors,” Cutcliffe says. “Everything is moved up so fast that I’m sure what our coaches had done who had the area is took a brief look off junior tape and that's how you miss them.”

Thankfully for Jones, the rigorous NFL scouting process leaves no chance he’ll be overlooked this time. Peyton says he’s already had a couple NFL teams call him during this past college season to ask about Jones.

One scout in Mobile said that Cutcliffe’s reputation will help Jones because teams want to eliminate risk when drafting a player. Knowing that Jones was coached by Cutcliffe will help eliminate any concern that he won’t be prepared, or won’t pick up an NFL offense quickly enough.

Jones has a thick binder that holds all papers related to his training and draft preparation, organized neatly. There’s a divider for his schedule, a divider for his notes on different types of NFL offenses, and divider called, The QB Bonus, which houses several excerpts about quarterbacks from Bill Parcells and Bill Walsh’s books, Rudyard Kipling’s poem, “If,” and a white sheet of paper labeled Strengths and Weaknesses. In the Weaknesses column is written “being assertive.” Morris and Jones point out this is listed here because it’s a weakness that others perceive him to have, because Jones is naturally quiet and serious.

“He reminds me of Eli a little bit,” Morris says. “Somewhat soft-spoken, super competitive.” Jones knows that his reserved nature can cast doubt on his ability to lead a team, and he’s ready to combat it. “Sometimes when people first meet me they perceive my personality to be less than maybe what is typical of a guy in my position,” he says. “But I don't think I've ever had an issue doing that and I feel confident in my ability to assert myself.”

Several scouts wonder, has Cutcliffe coached a successful NFL quarterback since the Mannings? Before Peyton, he coached a high draft pick in Heath Shuler—a bust. At Duke, where he has coached since 2007, he produced journeyman backup Thad Lewis and former seventh-round pick Sean Renfree. But while Cutcliffe’s last NFL success story is Eli, he also hasn’t had a talent like that until now.

By the time Cutcliffe starts his presentation that night for the group of Alabama high school football coaches, he’s taken a second to watch a quick clip of Jones throwing at Senior Bowl practice. “It made me smile because that ball just came out like it was supposed to,” he says. “It let me go to sleep because I am worried like it’s a son.”

As NFL evaluators will tell you, the Cutcliffe connection is nice, but ultimately it’s Jones throwing the ball
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
sschind
4 years ago

Misdirection?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Since both these guys will likely be gone by the 4th round (earliest I would be OK with them drafting a QB) I certainly hope so. I'm not entirely opposed to bringing in a QB but I don't care for the idea of spending a day 1 or 2 pick on one. There are a couple of reasons to draft one.

1) the obvious reason is to have Rodgers' successor but I am hoping we have Aaron Rodgers for more than 4 years so any QB drafted now (unless its a first rounder) would be a FA before Rodgers is ready to move on and unless Rodgers does move on after 4 years anyone drafted now worth his salt will be gone via FA. Unless Rodgers has a career ending injury I find it very unlikely that his successor will be drafted this year. The numbers just don't add up.

2) As a solid backup for Rodgers. I can see this but that would mean they have likely given up on Kizer but it wouldn't likely be until next year anyway. Unless he really rocks it I would see any rookie being #3 on the depth chart meaning we would have to carry 3 on the 53 man roster because I'm sure Kizer or a rookie would be poached of the PS pretty quickly. Its possible after a few years years if he shows some promise we could trade him but if we spend too high of a pick on him we won't likely be able to upgrade and we may be lucky to recoup what we spend to get him.

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
kizer is likely not the answer, and I wish it weren't so.

Jones is young and needs some time to develop, I would likely take him at 30, but if he was there in round 2 for sure

Cheesey
4 years ago

I'd be okay with a Ball if Fame QB at 30. 2005 strategy all over!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yavoll! Das ball if Fame QBs are rare!!!😂
Sorry! It just really made me laugh! I know what you meant!🤣
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
That is not a typo. I think Z2C was saying that it would be such a good pick and such a great contract which Russ Ball would negotiate that it would be come to be known as a "Ball of Fame" 😂
sschind
4 years ago

kizer is likely not the answer, and I wish it weren't so.

Jones is young and needs some time to develop, I would likely take him at 30, but if he was there in round 2 for sure

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Its kind of like the Aaron Rodgers situation in that he may be too good to pass up but the difference is that then the writing was kind of on the wall for Favre already. He could have pulled the plug at any time. With Rodgers that does not seem to be the case. The only way a 2019 draft pick is going to be our starter in the next 4 years is if Rodgers gets hurt. I'm all for that solid #2 man but if it is going to take 2 years to develop into one I think it may be a wasted pick. I'd hate to pass on someone who could provide immediate help but if they think he could be the next franchise QB more so than any coming up in the 2020,2021 drafts I guess you take him and figure it out later.

There is always the possibility that after 2020 when we can get out from underwater with Rodgers contract we could try to trade him if Jones looks like he is all that.

If they are going to take him I'd prefer they take him at 30 rather than 44 so they get the 5th year option. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me. In his 5th year we can move on from Rodgers with no dead cap hit and decide what to do with Jones then.
nerdmann
4 years ago

Its kind of like the Aaron Rodgers situation in that he may be too good to pass up but the difference is that then the writing was kind of on the wall for Favre already. He could have pulled the plug at any time. With Rodgers that does not seem to be the case. The only way a 2019 draft pick is going to be our starter in the next 4 years is if Rodgers gets hurt. I'm all for that solid #2 man but if it is going to take 2 years to develop into one I think it may be a wasted pick. I'd hate to pass on someone who could provide immediate help but if they think he could be the next franchise QB more so than any coming up in the 2020,2021 drafts I guess you take him and figure it out later.

There is always the possibility that after 2020 when we can get out from underwater with Rodgers contract we could try to trade him if Jones looks like he is all that.

If they are going to take him I'd prefer they take him at 30 rather than 44 so they get the 5th year option. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me. In his 5th year we can move on from Rodgers with no dead cap hit and decide what to do with Jones then.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

There is a situation where the analogy holds. For example, if they are sending a message to Aaron that he is not indispensable.

However since we have confirmed that Aaron has been on the up and up the entire time, we can safely dismiss this possibility.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago
Aaron's replacwment is now just graduating High School.

Plenty of smoke screens being sent out.

https://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=QB 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.