Discussion Board
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
I have been watching (following online) AFC Ajax (Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax) ever since I read about Eddy Hamel in Sport's Illustrated a couple of weeks ago .

Hamel played for Ajax in the 20's. He was one of the first Americans to play in Europe. While he was a forward he didn't score much. He was better at finding the open teammate and getting him the ball and letting his teammate score. The SI story deals with him being in a Nazi concentration camp so you may not want to read the article.

Ajax seems like an interesting team. The are an old, renowned team that has won many championships. They are owned by stockholders. I see some similarities to Green Bay.

One of their interesting quirks is the stadium was once located near a Jewish neighborhood of Amsterdam. A large portion of their fans were Jewish. Even though times have changed the fans keep that tie to their past alive today chanting "Joden, Joden" and unfurling a huge Star of David, Israeli flag at matches even though very few are actually Jewish.

A couple of days ago they defeated superpower Real Madrid  in The Champions League match to advance to the quarterfinals.

I think I will watch them a little closer for a while.
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
My underdog Ajax team has now beaten powerhouses Real Madrid and Juventus. Embarrassing both teams on their home pitch in the second and final match.

They are now in the semi's of the Champions League for the first time since 1997.

Here's the winning goal in today's match.

UserPostedImage

Win or lose in the semi's, it's been fun following them.
Smokey
  • Posts: 5108
  • Joined: 9/16/2014
 t5r43w9.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.


That's so interesting.
KRK
  • Posts: 3585
  • Joined: 1/28/2017
zzzzzzzz
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
I figured this'd be lost on you philistines.

Ajax aren't actually my team, but their run in the Champions' League has been amazing. I'm obviously biased, but they've seem to become the favorite team of a lot of people, just because of the David vs Goliath aspect.

To put some numbers on that... Ajax has a budget somewhere around € 90 million. The big guys like Real Madrid, Juventus and Barcelona are operating with budgets around € 500 - 750 million. They've been forced to rely on their own youth academy and Johan Cruyff's principles.

It's Moneyball, but on an even bigger stage.
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
Thanks Rocky. Your comments are appreciated.

For some reason or another I assumed this was not your favorite team but you would know how significant their success has been. I think the Spurs have watered down Ajax's achievement a little.

At one time I was thinking of looking up payroll comparisons but I felt very few people here would understand and appreciate it.

It has been disappointing to read of all the transfer talk that's going on even before their run is over.

What's with the KNVB Beker? Playing in 2 competitions at one time seems like a little bit of a stretch but 3? It seems like it would be too much. Why not wait a few weeks before it begins?
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Thanks Rocky. Your comments are appreciated.

For some reason or another I assumed this was not your favorite team but you would know how significant their success has been. I think the Spurs have watered down Ajax's achievement a little.

At one time I was thinking of looking up payroll comparisons but I felt very few people here would understand and appreciate it.

It has been disappointing to read of all the transfer talk that's going on even before their run is over.



It is. And it's one thing makes me appreciate the salary cap in a lot of American sports even more. You have to keep rotating your roster, in a way, but a guy like Frenkie de Jong would play for Ajax for life, much like Rodgers won't leave the Packers. In reality, he's gone after one good year because the bigger fish noticed him.

Great for parity, as well. What Ajax is doing as an underdog in Europe is great, but purely from an Eredivisie standpoint... You can pencil either them or PSV in as champion nearly every year. Both teams go into Europe. Earn even more. Dominate the Eredivisie even more. It's snowballing out of hand.

The thing I also don't like is that football fanbases don't make sense geographically. Half of The Netherlands is fan of Ajax, not because they're from Amsterdam or the rest of North Holland, but because it's a winning team. Even people in Ohio stay Browns fans, because you know there's the chance that they'll bounce back eventually and win a championship. If you're a fan of FC Groningen, you're always fighting for a mid-table finish.

There's no way you could implement it anymore, though.

Quote:

What's with the KNVB Beker? Playing in 2 competitions at one time seems like a little bit of a stretch but 3? It seems like it would be too much. Why not wait a few weeks before it begins?



That's pretty common in any league. It's quite low, even, when compared to England. The Premier League has:

- Two more teams, so 4 more matches.
- Two cups running alongside the competition
- Six or seven teams going into European competitions.
- And because the quality of players is so ridiculously high, their players are all playing for their national teams during the international breaks.

Ajax has is relatively easy, really.
Zero2Cool
  • Posts: 38336
  • Joined: 10/14/2006
What I think about when I see "Ajax"

Ajax is short for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, which refers to a set of web development techniques rather than an actual programming language.

OR

UserPostedImage

OR

UserPostedImage


But mainly...

Ajax is short for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, which refers to a set of web development techniques rather than an actual programming language.
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

It is. And it's one thing makes me appreciate the salary cap in a lot of American sports even more. You have to keep rotating your roster, in a way, but a guy like Frenkie de Jong would play for Ajax for life, much like Rodgers won't leave the Packers. In reality, he's gone after one good year because the bigger fish noticed him.

Great for parity, as well. What Ajax is doing as an underdog in Europe is great, but purely from an Eredivisie standpoint... You can pencil either them or PSV in as champion nearly every year. Both teams go into Europe. Earn even more. Dominate the Eredivisie even more. It's snowballing out of hand.

The thing I also don't like is that football fanbases don't make sense geographically. Half of The Netherlands is fan of Ajax, not because they're from Amsterdam or the rest of North Holland, but because it's a winning team. Even people in Ohio stay Browns fans, because you know there's the chance that they'll bounce back eventually and win a championship. If you're a fan of FC Groningen, you're always fighting for a mid-table finish.

There's no way you could implement it anymore, though.



That's pretty common in any league. It's quite low, even, when compared to England. The Premier League has:

- Two more teams, so 4 more matches.
- Two cups running alongside the competition
- Six or seven teams going into European competitions.
- And because the quality of players is so ridiculously high, their players are all playing for their national teams during the international breaks.

Ajax has is relatively easy, really.



Thanks for the input. Playing in multiple competitions at the same time seems odd to an American.

Eredivisie is probably no different than the other major leagues. England, Spain, Italy and I assume even Germany all have their premiere 2-3 teams that win all the time and the rest are left scrambling for the crumbs. I haven't followed the leagues in South America but I htought I heard the same thing happening there as well.

If I had not stumbled upon Ajax, I would probable be following Tottenham this season.

Here's a question I could not find an answer to online maybe you can help me- Huntelaar received a red card in the match against Groningen. That won't matter when they play Tottenham will it? I assumed it will when they play their next Eredivisie match against Vitesse.
Along that same line, what's to keep a player from getting a yellow or even a red card late in a match that they are losing and more than likely their team will be eliminated? I seem to recall Ronaldo drawing a yellow card in ET of the 2nd leg match. It doesn't seem like there would be any ramification for a player on the losing team.

Zero, All well in good. Keep in mind the football team's name is pronounced I- ax not A- jax.
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Thanks for the input. Playing in multiple competitions at the same time seems odd to an American.

Eredivisie is probably no different than the other major leagues. England, Spain, Italy and I assume even Germany all have their premiere 2-3 teams that win all the time and the rest are left scrambling for the crumbs. I haven't followed the leagues in South America but I htought I heard the same thing happening there as well.

If I had not stumbled upon Ajax, I would probable be following Tottenham this season.

Here's a question I could not find an answer to online maybe you can help me- Huntelaar received a red card in the match against Groningen. That won't matter when they play Tottenham will it? I assumed it will when they play their next Eredivisie match against Vitesse.
Along that same line, what's to keep a player from getting a yellow or even a red card late in a match that they are losing and more than likely their team will be eliminated? I seem to recall Ronaldo drawing a yellow card in ET of the 2nd leg match. It doesn't seem like there would be any ramification for a player on the losing team.

Zero, All well in good. Keep in mind the football team's name is pronounced I- ax not A- jax.



Yeah, it doesn't transfer over to different leagues.

I don't think there's any ramifications for a yellow card. Inherent to the fact that it was only a yellow card is that the foul wasn't an egregious foul.

Red cards are a different story. It's a bit complicated, but I believe in the Champion's League/Europe League it works like this. If you get sent off by getting two yellow cards, you normally miss the match after that one. This gets wiped if you get eliminated. It doesn't if you go from the Champion's League group stage to the Europa League.

If you get a red card for a bad tackle, you usually miss more matches. This does carry over to next year. If Ronaldo had been even more frustrated than he already was and would've gone for an ankle with a straigth leg, he would've gotten at least a 3 match ban and would've missed half the group stage in 2019/2020.
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
Rockmolder
  • Posts: 7571
  • Joined: 9/14/2008
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Youtube video



Haven't seen that all too often. The people that travel overseas to see the team are usually the hardcore fans... And they tend to be complete idiots. One in two seems to be a hooligan for no particular reason, but I guess those guys can surprise you from time to time.



That only goes for Dtuch clubs, btw, not the national team. I'd liken them more to Packers fans. They travel amazingly well and in large numbers, it's just a shame that our history is more like that of the Vikings than the Packers.

That said... That was the most heartbreaking loss, even as a non-Ajax fan. Brought back memories of losing the '98 WC semi-final, the '06 final in OT, the '14 semi-final or the semi-final of the Europen Championship in '00 or in '04... It's Dutch tradition by now.
wpr
  • Posts: 16837
  • Joined: 8/8/2008
I wasn't able to watch the match. When I got home and read the account and how they crumbled in the second half it was disappointing. I had told my wife a week earlier that the 2-0 win was huge. I didn't care about the missed 3rd goal because they wouldn't need it.
Normally I would say they are so young there's always next year. I am afraid the breaking up and selling off players will be next.
Users browsing this topic
  • Guest
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : I wouldn't mind Robbie Anderson
gbguy20 (10h) : i want mike lafleur
gbguy20 (10h) : yeah that seemed promising as well. i know much less about him.
beast (14h) : I'm thinking we sign the Jets WR that we looked into trade for
gbguy20 (15h) : peter bukowski says we should trade for Robert Woods. i like that idea.
gbguy20 (17h) : on its face those numbers sound terrible. though i wonder what our situation comes out to
gbguy20 (17h) : will be available in FA. lets get him.
gbguy20 (17h) : the coeboys have 110 mil invested in 9 players next year. none of them are named dak, cooper or jones. add the 30+ expected for dak and it comes to 78% of the expected cap. im assuming cooper will ve
Zero2Cool (20h) : Sad ... Mr. Peanut.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Jan) : I've been joking for years that they should give something like this a try, but I never thought I'd see it happen.
Nonstopdrivel (22-Jan) : Holy shit, NFL is adapting a rule from rugby for the Pro Bowl.
Porforis (21-Jan) : Same, NSD.
Zero2Cool (21-Jan) : FEAR THE MOTHERFUCKING DEER YO!
Nonstopdrivel (21-Jan) : These Bucks are running roughshod through the NBA. I wish basketball inspired me with a tenth of the passion that football does.
Mucky Tundra (21-Jan) : How did Andy Reid celebrate yesterdays win? “I had a cheeseburger and went to bed.”
Zero2Cool (21-Jan) : Spend it on OG or WR, those are the too biggest needs. WR obviously clear 1 need.
KRK (21-Jan) : I rather spend the money on the interior of both lines and ILB
RickLM (20-Jan) : Yes. Hunter Henry is someone I want. How do you feel about Corey Littleton? I think he's worth a look too.
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Sign TE HUNTER HENRY
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Henry Ruggs III to Packers at 30.
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Kris Richard for DC?
beast (20-Jan) : Nope, 72 and we don't have the CBs for his system
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : Wade Phillips for DC?
Cheesey (20-Jan) : Must have been a Chicago fan
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : bear?
Zero2Cool (20-Jan) : “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Packers Chat Room - initialized.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Unless the Packers make it.
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : Chiefs in SB. It's their year this year.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Shout enter button sucks while viewing forum, no workie.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Shout works great.
buckeyepackfan (19-Jan) : Check
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : @mattschneidman #Packers punter JK Scott (illness) is expected to play in today’s NFC Championship Game after being added to the injury report as questionable yesterday, per source.
Mucky Tundra (19-Jan) : Can't count them out after last week but I doubt Vrabel will make poor choices like O'Brien did
Mucky Tundra (19-Jan) : Chiefs falling behind early again
Cheesey (19-Jan) : On any given day. If we didn’t belong, we wouldn’t be here.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Matt LaFleur might have lost play calling duties to Arthur Smith if he didn't get GB HC job. Crazy
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Play clean game and Packers can win easily
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : I think they have a chance. Not a good one, but a chance.
PhoenixPackerFan60 (19-Jan) : Every single prognosticator on TV says Packers don't belong in this game. Every one is baffled by the 14 wins. Even a couple said this team is an 8-8 caliber team or 9-7, at best but somehow stumb
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : t-minus 7 hours
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : game day.
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : Let's fucking go!!!
gbguy20 (19-Jan) : fuck yes. ALL IN!
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : #Packers activate safety Raven Greene from IR
Zero2Cool (18-Jan) : I remember Dotson arriving in the airport with a leather jacket. The guy looked like a difference maker. he was just average, but that was enough
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : Now I'm getting nostalgic over the 96 line: Jones, Dotson, Brown and White
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : tbf=to be fair
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : i remember being bummed about losing Jurko to Jaguars but quickly got over it with Santana Dotson
Zero2Cool (18-Jan) : The Brett Favre?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys
Monday, Oct 14 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
RAIDERS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 7:20 PM
Chiefs
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
Chargers
Sunday, Nov 10 @ 3:25 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Dec 1 @ 12:00 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 8 @ 12:00 PM
REDSKINS
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 12:00 PM
BEARS
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / isocleas2

21h / Around The NFL / beast

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / gbguy20

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.