earthquake
5 years ago
With Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson signing record contracts in the last couple years, we've seen a lot of hand wringing over how much QBs are making. If we squint at the raw figures, it sure seems like a lot - but the cap has gone up quite a bit in the last 10 years, so are these contracts really out of line?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lQgCnyr8R6Evb9ht6cCm2lu5Z-NLYKgPK8zDZRS05lg/edit?usp=sharing 

Notable highlights:

4/10 SB winners had cap hits of over 10%. Only 1 had a cap hit below 6.6%.

The average cap space for all QBs that played in the super bowl was 8.6%. Only 5/20 had cap percentages below 5% - Russell Wilson twice, Jared Goff, and two QBs that started the season as backups: Colin Kaepernick & Nick Foles. Nick Foles' cap hit skyrocketed the next year due to the way his contract was structured.

80% of the QBs had a hit of at least 4.3%. Half had a cap hit over 10% (there was an even split between the winners and losers).

Super Bowl losing QBs were paid slightly more (9.1% vs 8.1%).

Tom Brady had the highest cap hit for winning QBs with 12.4 in 2018. Peyton Manning had the highest for the losers with 17.2% (!).

So, let's look at some myths.

QBs are making too much money these days, you can't win with one player taking up so much cap space.

This is demonstrably false. In fact, most teams that win or get to the super bowl devote a big chunk of the cap to their QB. Teams with elite QBs tend to win super bowls. Additionally, paying a lot of money to franchise QBs is nothing new, as is clearly evident in the data. The cap goes up, salaries go up, it's as simple as that.

The new trend is cheap QBs on rookie contracts.

The only example of a QB on a rookie contract winning the SB since the new rookie wage scale took effect is Russell Wilson, who had an especially low cap number being taken in the 3rd round. This is an aberration, not a trend, and has been corrected with Wilson's 2nd and 3rd contracts. Had the Rams won last year, Goff got paid 7.6 million dollars, cheap for elite QBs, but not exactly a bargain basement contract.

The Eagles sort of qualify here as well, given that Carson Wentz was their starter, and they didn't pay Nick Foles much since he was the backup. However, this is a pretty odd situation that is unlikely to be repeated in the near future.

Aaron Rodger's new contract is totally crazy and the Packers are screwed.

Aaron Rodger's cap hit was 11.3% last year. This is par for the course for an elite QB, and half of the QBs who made it to the SB in the last 10 years had a similar cap hit. I'm not sure what his cap hit will be in the next few years, and certainly, if he starts to suck it will look bad, but so far it looks like the going market rate rather than any sort of extravagance.
blank
Smokey
5 years ago
People are worth whatever someone is willing to pay them. If someone is willing to pay another 1 million dollars to dig a ditch, that is what the digger is worth. If a team pays a lot for a player, they should realise that that players portion of the overall pie lessens the amount left to pay others. The value of an all star Pitcher or a QB or Hockey Goalie can extend beyond just a roster. A great player can put fans in the seats, sell jerseys/team products, as well as elevate the play of their fellow teammates.

Is it right to pay people large amounts of money, they would not do it if they thought it was a poor investment.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
"Aaron Rodger's new contract is totally crazy and the Packers are screwed."
.Well I guess there is no reason to watch the next 4 years.

The NFL wants parody

The salary cap is in place to create parody.

Teams are not suppose to make the playoffs more than 5 years in a row.

The NFL likes it when there is an average of a 6 team turnover every year in the playoffs.

I remember when Brett Favre signed his 100mil contract.
He was the highest paid player for about a week.
Drew Bledsoe signed his contract eclipsing Favre's
You can't blame the players, the money is there

The Packers still had plenty of room to sign 4 solid FA's

I think there is a 50/50 chance Aaron plays out this contract in Green Bay.

Some desparate team will spend the house on him in a couple of years.

This is todays NFL.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I think players union is failing the players by allowing these massive contracts without having a massive pension plan with insurance for retired players. With how much the NFL brings in annually, there is absolutely no reason any NFL player (of certain amount of playing years) should have issues with medical costs of any kind during their life time. The players union should demand 10% at least put away into a pension of some sort for retired players. And that 10% gets split between owners and players portions, five percent each.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Brady doesn't constantly demand enormous pay. How's his team working out? I heard they were pretty good. 😎
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
5 years ago

Brady doesn't constantly demand enormous pay. How's his team working out? I heard they were pretty good. 😎

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

This is somewhat of a misnomer. It's true that Tom Brady has rarely been the highest paid player. But he's generally among the highest paid, and his 4 trips to the SB in the last 10 years have come at above average cap hits vs the other QBs who have made it to the game.

So while Brady may be willing to forgo the extra cash he could make on the open market to stay in NE and win more SBs, the fact remains that he takes a big chunk of NE's cap, and they still manage to win. Again, the highest cap hit for a SB winning QB in the last 10 years was paid to... drum roll please... Tom Brady.

Let's look at the numbers for Rodgers VS Brady. Brady is only under contract for 2019, so we can't compare future earnings, so let's look at the last 3 years:

Rodgers:
2017: 20.3m
2018: 20.9m
2019: 26.5m
Total: 67.7m

Brady:
2017: 14m
2018: 22m
2019: 27m
Total: 63m

Brady's "team friendly" contract here means NE devoted 4.7m less over 3 years, or 1.5m a year. That might get you a journeyman backup guard or a couple UDFAs in today's market, hardly the sort of cap savings that will make or break a team.

Rodger's number jumps to 32.6m next year, which seems somewhat high, but we'll have to wait and see what the cap is. If Brady decides to sign another contract, it's a safe bet that his salary will go up as well.
blank
nerdmann
5 years ago

This is somewhat of a misnomer. It's true that Tom Brady has rarely been the highest paid player. But he's generally among the highest paid, and his 4 trips to the SB in the last 10 years have come at above average cap hits vs the other QBs who have made it to the game.

So while Brady may be willing to forgo the extra cash he could make on the open market to stay in NE and win more SBs, the fact remains that he takes a big chunk of NE's cap, and they still manage to win.

Let's look at the numbers for Rodgers VS Brady. Brady is only under contract for 2019, so we can't compare future earnings, so let's look at the last 3 years:

Rodgers:
2017: 20.3m
2018: 20.9m
2019: 26.5m
Total: 67.7m

Brady:
2017: 14m
2018: 22m
2019: 27m
Total: 63m

Brady's "team friendly" contract here means NE devoted 4.7m less over 3 years, or 1.5m a year. That might get you a journeyman backup guard or a couple UDFAs in today's market, hardly the sort of cap savings that will make or break a team.

Rodger's number jumps to 32.6m next year, which seems somewhat high, but we'll have to wait and see what the cap is. If Brady decides to sign another contract, it's a safe bet that his salary will go up as well.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

He moves money around as needed tho. It's not just the raw numbers.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
5 years ago

He moves money around as needed tho. It's not just the raw numbers.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Can you provide specific examples here?

And who is to say Rodgers will not be willing to do the same? He was playing on a below market contract for a while so there wasn't really a need to do so. But with him taking a bigger chunk of the cap these days (and into the future) it's certainly possible that we will see similar moves.

blank
Fitness
5 years ago
How could anyone know whether or not Rodgers would be unwilling to adjust his pay? The assertion that he would not is unverifiable. Further, if I were Rodgers, I would only agree to do it with and for whom I thought would really help.

And please don't default to the "he is running the team" argument....its his contract, therefore his money to spend.
nerdmann
5 years ago

How could anyone know whether or not Rodgers would be unwilling to adjust his pay? The assertion that he would not is unverifiable. Further, if I were Rodgers, I would only agree to do it with and for whom I thought would really help.

And please don't default to the "he is running the team" argument....its his contract, therefore his money to spend.

Originally Posted by: Fitness 

Has he done so yet?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8m) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (53m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.