Zero2Cool
4 years ago
On my drive to lunch and taking care of errands today, I heard Bill Michaels say that many fans are essentially demanding the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers successor in this draft. Bill stated that Aaron is under contract four more years and thus the QB and Aaron's contract would expire at the same time. That's not entirely true because if we drafted the QB in 1st round, I believe Packers could use the 5th year option. Besides the point, 2019 is not the time to draft the next QB, unless you really fall in love with a guy.

Assuming this season goes well for Aaron, I wouldn't consider looking for the next QB until 2020 draft at the very earliest with my eyes more set on the 2021 draft.

What do you think? When should the Packers start finding the next Hall of Fame QB?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
4 years ago
I think when the value arises in terms of squiring talent, you take it. In terms of draft, when a QB prospect is at the top of the draft board, you take it.

Personally, I think unless a Prospect is staring us in the face this year in the draft, you roll with what we have in terms of roster. Or roll the dice late on competition.

In other words, much of that noise is just reaction to this off season "reporting".
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Without belaboring my like of Daniel Jones, I would really like to know what the new staff thinks of Kizer. I really liked his pocket presence, unlike Hundley.

The biggest issue seems to me is that he just misses guys, which is a real problem.

I can see the point many posters have made that its too early, but if a Jones or Lock slipped to the second round, I would take them,
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Getting a crazy value for a prospect aside- They need to wait. I have said it a number of times the old saying was it takes 3 years to develop a QB. Certainly you can throw a guy out there and the learning curve might be a little shorter but after so many have failed it would be nice to give a guy a full 2 years on the bench before trotting him out there full time.

Aaron's contract is 4 years but who is to say he only plays 4 more years? He might ask for an additional 1 or 2 years. If he is playing at an elite level, he might get them. Don't draft the next franchise qb until 2022.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
4 years ago

I can see the point many posters have made that its too early, but if a Jones or Lock slipped to the second round, I would take them,

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Concur.. When the value dictates it.. you place the pick.

Not some arbitrary notion that there is a time based element to it.

Also, I really like Kizer, accuracy issue might have been a product of timing in the system. I am anxious to see how the QB room adjusts to a new system.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
earthquake
4 years ago
I think Rodger's contract tells us a number of things.

1. They've got a lot of money devoted to him for the next few years, so a high pick on a QB is unlikely unless they think he's washed up (or they have a player rated real high and he drops). One down/injured year doesn't seem like enough to come to the conclusion that they need to find his replacement immediately.

2. It looks like 2021 is the first year they could reasonably cut Rodgers if his play drops off in a significant way. Post June 1st cut gives them a dead cap number of around 11m, a figure that is pretty easy to absorb for the $80m or so savings over the next 3 years. a 2022 pre June cut accomplishes the same thing. What this means is that realistically, 2021/2022 is the the earliest another QB would be expected to take over. Now, they could trade him too, but if his play drops off it's unlikely another team would take on his contract.

3. He's under contract until 2023, when he'll be 40 years old. Few QBs make it to 40, Brett Favre played until 41, Tom Brady is currently 41. These are the exceptions. That said, if the new coach can put together a decent oline and/or a system that works on quick throws, it wouldn't be a shocker to see him play out his contract, and perhaps put in another year or two. Brady has been sacked about 26/year as a starter, Rodgers 36/year. If those numbers get closer to Brady-esq numbers in the coming years, I could see 40+.

With a target for replacement as early as 2021, taking a QB high this year makes some sense. That would give the new QB 2 years to learn, and 3 years to play out a rookie contract to make sure he's really the guy before giving him a big second contract (close to ideal on both fronts). That said, I would think this is a pessimistic way to look at things, and that in all likelihood any QB taken this year would be a later round developmental QB.

As we get to the 2021 draft, I think if they haven't taken a QB early in 2019/2020, they start looking hard at that option. That said, I could see them forgo taking a QB high until it is very clear that Rodgers is done. I mean let's be real here, when Rodgers is well and truly finished, the Packers will in all likelihood suck, which means high draft picks/good chance of a top end QB for a couple years.
blank
gbguy20
4 years ago
2020 absolute earliest. You want to see the guy play a year before paying him the 5th year option. I'd prefer no earlier than 2021. Gives him time to learn and a couple years for us to have a cheap starting QB. However, Rodgers may still have a few years in him once his current deal is done - like Brady. So I say this conversation is jumping the gun.
nerdmann
4 years ago
Let's see what we got with Kizer first. Part of that is what kind of a QB guru Le Fleur is. He made RGBIII look good...As a rookie. Made Matt Ryan look good too.

The team may feel it needs some leverage against Aaron, in case Aaron pulls any kind of shit. But it seems like most of Aaron's bullshit is based upon wanting to win.

Bottom line is, this is a short term gambit. They are tooling up for Aaron's last few years, not for the future after that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
4 years ago
Not yet.
If Aaron Rodgers stinks it up this year, then next year you pick a QB.
But that’s the earliest.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
4 years ago
With the possible exception of Jones or Lock, I'm not very impressed with this years QB Draft Class. I certainly would not spend a 1st round pick to take one this year. Kizer or a replacement will have to suffice for a few more seasons. If a Jones or Lock are available for the 2nd round pick, picking one of them up for a 3rd string training project could pay off, I would still keep a sharp lookout for a Rodgers replacement by the 2020/21 NFL Drafts.

My ideal QB would be 6'3" to 6'4" tall. Trim build with superior foot speed. A rifle arm and a quick smart mind would be a requirement as well. There is also an intangible that can't found on a statistics sheet, a competitive player that does not know how to quit or football toughness.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.