wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Ty Summers | Inside Linebacker | Texas Christian | 6'1" - 241 lbs.

Overview
Inside linebacker possessing the physical qualities of an NFL player but lacking the necessary instincts and feel to make plays on his terms. While Summers won't always play to his top speed, he could very well run a pre-draft sub 4.6 40, which could make him a late-round target for teams who view him as back-end depth and a potential core special teamer.

Strengths
[list]
  • Expected to test well, especially in the 40-yard dash
  • High-motor player who makes all the calls for the defense
  • Play strength is a plus
  • Asked to play on the edge at times, and showed ability to hold up
  • Low pad level and sturdy base to anchor in his gap against blockers
  • Patient when scraping with focus on leveraging runner and preventing a backside cut
  • Heavy tackler with compact strike zone
  • Possesses tools to specialize on special teams[/list]

• Weaknesses
    [list]
  • Movement skills on tape don't match workout numbers
  • Lateral agility and change of direction is just average
  • Below average as open-field tackler Hangs back waiting to bang with lineman rather than attacking downhill
  • Too much reading and not enough reacting
  • Comes off the field on passing down[/list]

• Pre-Draft Analysis
    Summers is a big linebacker with below-average length and excellent timed speed. He flashes good stopping power in a phone booth, but he's better defending the run than he is in coverage. He tested better than expected and might have some upside in that area.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member Topic Starter
    4 years ago
    Marino 

Coverage - Lacks a natural feel and his best value on passing downs is likely to come as a blitzer. Slow responses to routes to his zone and doesn’t profile as a strong option for man coverage duties.

Tackling - Outstanding tackler that aims low and securely wraps up the ball carrier. Rarely comes up empty and does well to square up and hang on. Brings good power to the point of attack.

Blocks - Does well to take on blocks with leverage and physicality. Can dart and dash around traffic, keeping his hands active. Quick trigger diagnosing the run often keeps him ahead of blocks.

Physicality - Knows how to play behind his hands and maneuver through traffic. Brings good pop when tackling and stacking blocks.

Motor - Pursues the football with urgency and makes plays on account of hustle. Aggressively attacks in every direction. Successful blitzer from distance and at the line of scrimmage, which speaks to his motor.

Processing - Is a fairly clean processor and rarely takes himself out of plays with misreads but his trigger can be a touch slow. Doesn’t have the most natural feel in his coverage drops.

Range - Has adequate mobility but he doesn’t always play to his timed speed. More successful between the tackles than getting out in space and making plays.

Flexibility - Has adequate fluidity but is not overly loose. Has some hesitation driving off his back foot and attacking but it's fairly minor. Modest change of direction skills.

Versatility - His optimal role is as an inside linebacker in a 4-3 but he could also play strong side backer. Not likely to be an asset on passing downs.

BEST TRAIT - Defending Inside Run

WORST TRAIT - Coverage

RED FLAGS - 2017 - high ankle sprain, 2018 - high ankle sprain, 2014 - torn labrum, 2015 - torn labrum.

A four-year starter for Gary Patterson at TCU, Summers profiles as a MIKE linebacker at the next level where his sound processing skills against the run, tackling skills and physicality playing into the line of scrimmage are maximized. Despite strong athletic testing, Summers isn’t the most natural space player and he lacks comfort in coverage. With that said, he has been an effective blitzer and edge rusher which gives him some value on passing downs. Summers has some restrictions and his injury history is alarming, but he has a chance to make an impact in base defense and special teams at the next level.

Round Grade - Late Day Three

UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
    beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.