Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
greengold  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:30:21 AM(UTC)
If spotrac is correct, Packers paid him $72,000 guaranteed as an UDFA? $7,000 signing bonus plus $65,000 guaranteed salary. That would certainly make him a priority UDFA if true.

What do you guys think? I know his dad was an Outland Trophy winner. Hadn't heard about this, just stumbled upon at Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/...kers/greg-roberts-29376/
Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:37:23 AM(UTC)
I wouldn't read too much into it. The terms of his deal amount to little more than shifting cash from one envelope to other. The Packers seem to have sweetened the pot just a little to ensure he signed with them, but that doesn't necessarily indicate he's a high priority. After all, the minimum contract a rookie UDFA can sign totals $1.755 million over three years, and he's signed for $1.762 million. That $7,000 spread over three years barely amounts to a rounding error. There's no reason to think that the terms of his contract will confer a special advantage over any other rookie when it comes to making the final roster.

Hat tip to greengold for the corrections to my math.

Updated by user Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:22:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed math errors

Nonstopdrivel  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:45:07 AM(UTC)
It looks like Roberts misbehaved his way out of being drafted. He was suspended twice in college and ejected from a game last November for throwing a punch. Given that at one time he had been considered at least a sixth-round talent, that punch alone probably cost him millions. Hopefully, falling out of the draft was a wake-up call for the young man, and he'll work his ass off for the Packers to earn a second shot at success.
Nonstopdrivel  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:53:36 AM(UTC)
Incidentally, it's pretty funny to compare the incident from the two different camera angles. In the first video, you could be forgiven for getting the impression that the ref had thrown himself into the fray in retaliation for the punch, while in the second video, it's obvious that the Iowa State linemen interposes himself instantly and all but pushes the official out of harm's way.
Nonstopdrivel  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:55:24 AM(UTC)
My verdict: practice squad.
greengold  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:08:40 PM(UTC)
Greg Roberts Sr. was no angel either if I remember correctly. BigGrin

The total contract is actually only $7000 over the minimum (amount of the signing bonus.) Total contract is meaningless, I was just looking at $72,000 guaranteed. Seems like a lot to throw away on someone with almost zero chance of making the team. Or is that just my inner Ted Thompson coming out? Laugh

Nonstopdrivel  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:19:33 PM(UTC)
You're right; I miscalculated the value of a minimum UDFA contract.

Roberts' salary for all three years is exactly the NFL minimum, so the $7,000 signing bonus is the only extra cash he's getting. His cap hit for each year is $2333.33 above the NFL minimum for that season, which is simply the prorated value of his signing bonus. And that's not even getting into the fact that the 2021 figure is bogus anyway, since the CBA expires after the 2020 season.

This may be a total coincidence, but I find it intriguing that the Packers are guaranteeing him the value of exactly nine weeks of 2019 rookie practice-squad salary. I'm not sure what, if anything, to make of that.
wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 8:08:00 PM(UTC)
Looks like a PS guy. My concern is that he's 23. The better players come out early thus they're 20-22 yo. The guys who won't be high draft picks stay and wait.
Quote:

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Baylor DE Greg Roberts is a prime candidate for a practice squad.
Roberts (6'5/254) was never a consistent part of the Baylor defense -- at least statistically, but there were some flashes that suggested he was an NFL-caliber player. "Good-looking defensive end with natural play strength who moves like a big, stand-up OLB in space," Zierlein writes. He does have some concerns about Roberts, like his inconsistent space play and rush plan. Still because of his height and athleticism, he has a chance to be a Day 3 pick and is a "prime candidate" for the practice squad, according to Zierlein

SOURCE: NFL.com

Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : pretty damn crazy ... still hard to believe. i wonder if he joins XFL with his dad?
Mucky Tundra (7h) : heh, RG III outlasted Luck in the NFL. Imagine telling that to someone 4 or 5 years ago
Mucky Tundra (7h) : I guess there goes that Captain Andrew Luck parody account
Mucky Tundra (7h) : aw Zero beat me to it
Zero2Cool (7h) : 2012 NFL Draft was not too sweet in that top first round.
Zero2Cool (7h) : *** holy shit *** Andrew Luck has informed the Colts he is retiring from the NFL, per source
Zero2Cool (8h) : Whatever team he signs with, only 1 year deal. So Texans have no leverage at all.
KRK (8h) : no us
Cheesey (8h) : Any idea as to who will they trade him too?
Zero2Cool (10h) : The #Texans will trade LB/DE Jadeveon Clowney in the next 24/48 hours, according to @mlombardiNFL
Zero2Cool (12h) : RB Darrin Hall has been released.
beast (13h) : Before getting to the PS, they must first past waivers and want to resign as a PS player, I'm not sure Kizer would do both...
gbguy20 (15h) : its a trap?
Zero2Cool (15h) : Got me again!
Cheesey (24-Aug) : No, sorry. I should have said it’s my opinion. Again, sorry
Zero2Cool (24-Aug) : They made cuts already??
Cheesey (24-Aug) : Looks like Kizer ends up on the practice squad. Boyle has outplayed him.
buckeyepackfan (24-Aug) : Boyle 3 games. 113 qbr. He has jumped Kizot
Cheesey (24-Aug) : Kizer looked really bad. Boyle started out bad, then looked really good.
wpr (23-Aug) : Maybe Zero can give yo his email address.
wpr (23-Aug) : buckeye, Smokey is in a time out. It lasts until mid Nov.
KRK (23-Aug) : ty...Qualitatively, was he playing with a lot of the same guys? I.e. was the protection crappy or OK? Same receivers?
Zero2Cool (23-Aug) : Terrible. Boyle is leading for backup I think.
KRK (23-Aug) : Did any of you guys watch the second half? If so, I’m assuming Kizer was quarterback… howd he Look?
gbguy20 (23-Aug) : pretty sure once i completely cleares my browser and whatever is what fixed it
gbguy20 (23-Aug) : didn't work on my phone either for a few weeks. works now.
buckeyepackfan (23-Aug) : Ok. Thanks 😄 Anybody heard from Smokey? His ffl going to happen?
Zero2Cool (23-Aug) : Operator Error.
buckeyepackfan (23-Aug) : Why does applaud button work on my tablet but not my phone?
Cheesey (23-Aug) : I'm NOT whining!!! WAAAAAH!!!
Zero2Cool (23-Aug) : So much crying an whining.
gbguy20 (23-Aug) : what a disaster
buckeyepackfan (23-Aug) : EQ probably starts the season on IR. Didn't look good.
Zero2Cool (23-Aug) : Packers playon 80 yard field
Zero2Cool (22-Aug) : Check Bilasports website
buckeyepackfan (22-Aug) : Any streams available for tonight? Nerd?
gbguy20 (22-Aug) : 1 day that dude might make it
Zero2Cool (22-Aug) : Steelers sign Jayrone Elliott
Zero2Cool (22-Aug) : Brewers spanked those cheating Cardinals.
Zero2Cool (21-Aug) : chump* (damn auto-correct)
Zero2Cool (21-Aug) : im the champ
Cheesey (21-Aug) : It beats not keeping score and giving everyone a “participation trophy”.
Cheesey (21-Aug) : Wow...spell check? LIFE lesson!
Cheesey (21-Aug) : It is sad when they lose. But it’s a Lyceum lesson. You can’t always be the champ.
KRK (21-Aug) : These kids really strive to get the fundamentals right. It’s fun to watch. But it’s so sad when they lose and get eliminated
wpr (21-Aug) : you don't see that dp too often
Nonstopdrivel (21-Aug) : On Thursday, I was watching a LLWS game and witnessed a 5-3-6 double play. It was pretty impressive.
Nonstopdrivel (19-Aug) : It's not everyday a team scores 8 points in a baseball game—and gets its ass kicked. ⚾
Zero2Cool (19-Aug) : Wisconsin reinstates expelled wide receiver Cephus following acquittal on sexual assault charge.
Zero2Cool (19-Aug) : Rodgers put a pretty nice instagram about Benson. Benson made him think. That's impressive.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys