Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beast  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:56:35 AM(UTC)
There are also a few write ups on the projectors thoughts if your interested
www.nfl.com said:
GREEN BAY PACKERS
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Aaron Jones
WR: Davante Adams
WR: Geronimo Allison
WR: Marquez Valdes-Scantling
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Elgton Jenkins
C: Corey Linsley
RG: Billy Turner
RT: Bryan Bulaga

DE: Mike Daniels
DT: Kenny Clark
DE: Dean Lowry
OLB: Za'Darius Smith
ILB: Blake Martinez
OLB: Preston Smith
CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Kevin King
CB: Tramon Williams
S: Adrian Amos
S: Darnell Savage

My biggest surprise is actually the defensive package, a 3-3 set-up? , Just seems unlikely, Pettine did run some of it, but I believe (not totally sure) that it was mainly when he had (Wilkerson) a DE that could fill in for an edge rusher and then when the edge rushers all got injured they did it some with the others like Daniels.

Also slightly surprised with LG Taylor losing his spot, but it's certainly possible and I could see why someone might project it.
beast  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:28:19 PM(UTC)
Beast's Projections

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Aaron Jones
WR: Davante Adams
WR: Geronimo Allison
TE/WR: Jimmy Graham
TE: Marcedes Lewis
LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Lane Taylor
C: Corey Linsley
RG: Billy Turner
RT: Bryan Bulaga

I could be wrong, but I'm projecting they MIGHT go with a two TE set on over 40% of the snaps and might be the most run package with a 3rd WR (MVS) being second most. Of course they didn't grab a future blocking TE either, so I could be mistaken.

I'm just giving Taylor the lead nod over a rookie.

At some point Jenkins will become a starter, but maybe not right away. If injuries happen then Jenkins most likely will get a shot. But Jenkins is sorta my first guy off the bench projection, except maybe OT... but maybe even then if Turner moved to OT.

DT: Mike Daniels
DT: Kenny Clark
OLB: Za'Darius Smith
ILB: Blake Martinez
Dime ILB: Josh Jones
OLB: Preston Smith
CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Kevin King
CB: Josh Jackson
S: Adrian Amos
S: Tramon Williams

Most defenses seem to be running different versions of the 4-2 nickel fronts even if they're running it out of 3-4 concepts which I believe Pete Carroll and Wade Phillips (then Broncos) were the first ones to do that majority of the time and the rest of the 3-4 defenses have followed, of course maybe Pettine too because his Bills defense was a 4 man front too and he added his 3-4 concepts.

I'm tired of saying it but Josh Jones is a coverage LB and after they got rid of Haha and Whitehead they used him heavily as the dime DB/LB and he started to improve. Also since the day we drafted Burks I thought the was a year 3 development guy.

CB Josh Jackson started to come on late in the season, so he's my projected #3 CB right now (With Alexander covering the slot), will keeping Williams at FS while Savage learns the position. Also Savage was worse as deep Safety so he still has some learning there and they might want him to focus on learning the back end (like they did with Josh Jones) before giving him chances at the nickel and dime spots)

Savage is best when closer so I strongly thought about having him start at nickel, but as explained above, I think they're got start him leaning the back first and work his way up.
nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:19:30 PM(UTC)
Allison needs to make the team, imo.

Roster Spots:
Davante
MVS
EQ

Bubble Guys:
Geronimo
Trevor Davis
Jmon Moore
Kumerow

There will be 4 WRs on the final 53. Five, tops. And remember, Davis is an elite ST'er.
beast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:15:08 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

Roster Spots:
Davante
MVS
EQ

Bubble Guys:
Geronimo
Trevor Davis
Jmon Moore
Kumerow

There will be 4 WRs on the final 53. Five, tops. And remember, Davis is an elite ST'er.

4 WRs? That seems nuts... almost all teams go with 5 or more... Packers are much more likely to have 6 than 4.

Davis isn't elite at nothing other than maybe track speed and getting injured, he's a better returner than others but he's not elite at it.
nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:51:46 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
4 WRs? That seems nuts... almost all teams go with 5 or more... Packers are much more likely to have 6 than 4.

Davis isn't elite at nothing other than maybe track speed and getting injured, he's a better returner than others but he's not elite at it.

3RBs plus a FB.

How many TEs?
Jimmy
Mercedes
Tonyan
Sternberger

That's 8 roster spots right there. Jimmy is gonna be the slot WR, splitting time with Aaron Jones.
gbguy20  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:55:01 PM(UTC)
Probably tells you we can't keep a fb this year, doesn't it?
Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:55:12 PM(UTC)
I agree with beast.
At one time (many years ago) Davis was a very good returner. But the last several years, he has been a roster spot waste.
I expect 6 WRs on the team. 5 at the very least.
That’s my opinion at least.
gbguy20  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:55:52 PM(UTC)
Bye Trevor
nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:11:22 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree with beast.
At one time (many years ago) Davis was a very good returner. But the last several years, he has been a roster spot waste.
I expect 6 WRs on the team. 5 at the very least.
That’s my opinion at least.

Statistically as a returner he was considered to be very good. I didn't like him, personally. I don't trust him fielding it consistently, and I'm not confident he knows when to fair catch, when to let it go, etc. That's my own opinion. But he's rated highly overall.

Also was a very good gunner.

Dude had one down season, due to hamstring pulls.
earthquake  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:16:06 PM(UTC)
3RBs plus a FB.

How many TEs?
Jimmy
Mercedes
Tonyan
Sternberger

That's 8 roster spots right there. Jimmy is gonna be the slot WR, splitting time with Aaron Jones.

Interesting take, but considering last year the opening day roster featured:

RB: 3
FB: 0
WR: 7
TE: 4

So 4 WRs... Do you think they need room for 12 OL or something?

If they have 3 RB and 1 FB (certainly a possibility), that probably means 3 TEs or maybe 6 WR.
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:08:18 PM(UTC)
You have to take whether or not Davis has enough positive points over negative points.
He has done nothing as a WR. And even though some feel statistically he’s good, I just don’t see it. Value wise.
I think one of the other WRs can fill that position and have much more up side as a WR and returner.
It’s not like Davis has put up Desmond Howard type numbers as a returner.
beast  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:51:29 PM(UTC)

Wait, are you suggesting Aaron Jones is gonna be our slot WR? And not a RB?

There will be at least 5 WRs.... teams run so many 3 WR sets in today's NFL, and even while I think they could run more 2 TEs than 3 WR sets in this offense, I still think 3 WR sets over 30%

And you need backups, so 3 guys plus breathers, plus injuries and you need 5 unless you roster sucks at the position, I don't think they suck they badly.

Davis has great speed and did well as a gunners to (which I forgot about) but his best time as a gunners was when Janis was getting most of the attention on the other side.

But Davis didn't earn his spot last year in training camp (and I'm still a bit pissed he half assed and quit with Hundley throwing, which looked bad when Cobb was still busting his ass extra hard).

He needs to show improvement or they need to get rid of him.
buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:31:21 PM(UTC)

Roster Spots:
Davante
MVS
EQ

Bubble Guys:
Geronimo
Trevor Davis
Jmon Moore
Kumerow

So Gutey just signed Allison for $2.8mil which includes $750,000 signing bonus amd anothet $500,00 in game bonuses, just to cut him.
Makes sense.
Adams, Allison, EQ, MVS, G-Mo. and Kumerow aren't going anywhere.
Davis is the wild card, this is his last year on his rookie contract.
Even though he is probably the best return guy, he hasn't shown he can stay healthy.
He could possibly knock one of last years rookies or Kumerow to the PS.

The Packers start the season with only 4 wr!s on the roster, only if 6 of the 10 currentky on the roster go down with injuries.
Even then they would be scowering the waiver wire for veteran to bring in.
beast  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:38:49 PM(UTC)
So which positions do you see as hard to call whom starts? And whom do you project to start there?

Such as OGs? second ILB? FS? 3rd CB?

Also would you prefer more 2 TE or 3 WRs? I'm projecting to see a lot of both, but I can't be certain about the 2 TEs but normally LaFleur teams have enjoyed a lot of 2 TEs.
nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:20:05 AM(UTC)
Wait, are you suggesting Aaron Jones is gonna be our slot WR? And not a RB?

There will be at least 5 WRs.... teams run so many 3 WR sets in today's NFL, and even while I think they could run more 2 TEs than 3 WR sets in this offense, I still think 3 WR sets over 30%

And you need backups, so 3 guys plus breathers, plus injuries and you need 5 unless you roster sucks at the position, I don't think they suck they badly.

Davis has great speed and did well as a gunners to (which I forgot about) but his best time as a gunners was when Janis was getting most of the attention on the other side.

But Davis didn't earn his spot last year in training camp (and I'm still a bit pissed he half assed and quit with Hundley throwing, which looked bad when Cobb was still busting his ass extra hard).

He needs to show improvement or they need to get rid of him.

Aaron Jones is gonna be the "all purpose" guy. Still gonna run, but he's gonna be more in the passing game. Suits his skill set, should also keep him a little healthier.
nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:21:46 AM(UTC)
So which positions do you see as hard to call whom starts? And whom do you project to start there?

Such as OGs? second ILB? FS? 3rd CB?

Also would you prefer more 2 TE or 3 WRs? I'm projecting to see a lot of both, but I can't be certain about the 2 TEs but normally LaFleur teams have enjoyed a lot of 2 TEs.

My understanding is LaFluer doesn't use as many multiple WR formations. Could Dave a roster spot using TEs as FBs, but he likes FBs too.

We shall see.
Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:40:24 AM(UTC)
Regarding the original post. Doesn't that lineup have 12 starters on offense?
gbguy20  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:57:13 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

I only have 10 fingers to count with but when I do that I have one guy left over so I think that makes 11.

I'll wait for you know who to double check my math.
beast  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:18:18 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Nope, there are 11.

Might look like 12 because of the 3 WRs but no FB makes it even.

My understanding is LaFluer doesn't use as many multiple WR formations. Could Dave a roster spot using TEs as FBs, but he likes FBs too.

We shall see.
That's my understanding too, but still one FB isn't going to bring about less than 5 WRs... only having really shitty WR options will.

Aaron Jones is gonna be the "all purpose" guy. Still gonna run, but he's gonna be more in the passing game. Suits his skill set, should also keep him a little healthier.
Yeah he's going to be more involved in the passing game from the RB spot, as LaFleur system likes to get their RBs in play as receivers, and get them in favorable one on ones.

Mean while LaFleur has said he likes bigger slot guys, with great route running and give them a.couple of options and let them pick the best one, so experienced, which is not Aaron Jones in that role as all.

nerdmann  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:29:12 PM(UTC)
Nagler just suggested on Extra Cheese that Trevor Davis's poor decision making in punt returns may have been due at least in part to Mike and Zook's influence.
Rss Feed