Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Truly a great person.

Bart Starr, a Hall of Fame quarterback who helped build the Green Bay Packers dynasty in the 1960s and was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls, died Sunday in Birmingham, Ala. He was 85

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago
The reason I became a Packer fan.
This is a very sad day.
Great Packer
Even Greater Man!

RIH Bart
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
4 years ago

The reason I became a Packer fan.
This is a very sad day.
Great Packer
Even Greater Man!

RIH Bart

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I guess I could say the same. When I was but a wee lad I was a Dolphins fan because they had won the first football game I had ever seen. (SB 7) Then when they won SB 8 I became a die hard Dolphins fan (not inconsequentially that was the time I started hating the vikings) Along about then this team I had never heard of (the Green Bay Packers) fired their coach and why it stood out for me was because supposedly Dan Devine was an uncle or some some other relation to a classmate who I did not particularly like and he was whining about it.. When they replaced him with Bart Starr I started to read more about him and this team called the Packers. I figured if he (Starr) was replacing an uncle of a kid I did not really like he must be an alright dude.

The rest, as they say, was history. The Packers soon supplanted the Dolphins as my favorite team and even though I can't say I was a die hard fan at first, (how can an 8 year old be a fan of those teams?) I was loyal and have been ever since.

One of my favorite stories about him goes something like this. Well after his playing and coaching days he was in Dallas for a Packers/cowboys game and he was waiting in line for a public elevator. Jerry Jones saw him and offered him a ride up in his private elevator. Starr said no thank you, it wouldn't be right for all the rest of the people who had to wait in line. I'm not sure if its true or if I even have the situation right but I can certainly see it happening this way.

Bart Starr was one of only two sports figures that I ever had a desire to meet (Bob Uecker was the other) and from the stories I have heard I will remember him not only as a great football player but an even better person.
nerdmann
4 years ago
Best ever, on and off the field.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
A truly great man. All professional sports players should aspire to his level of greatness through dedication and effort, to his humility, and to his class.

I feel privileged to have rooted for him, and have had the opportunity to meet him, and, if only for a brief time, be coached by him.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
I loved Bart as a player even more so as a man. I was a kid in Minneapolis in '65 when I discovered the Packers. To me Bart was GB. I had such high hopes when he became the HC. At least he was honest and told everyone it was going to take him time to learn.

There are 1000s of Bart stories out there. I look forward to hearing them.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago

I loved Bart as a player even more so as a man. I was a kid in Minneapolis in '65 when I discovered the Packers. To me Bart was GB. I had such high hopes when he became the HC. At least he was honest and told everyone it was going to take him time to learn.

There are 1000s of Bart stories out there. I look forward to hearing them.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

They were on the verge of making the playoffs when they fired Bart. They had offense, needed consistency on D.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
4 years ago
This is sad day for me. I have told this story before, but want to tell it again.

I was a security guard back in 1984 at the Vince Lombardi golf tournament. One of my jobs that day was to drive a golf cart through the parking lot to keep an eye on all the players cars. I saw a man walking in front of me, wearing a green suit coat. From behind I thought “that looks like it could be Bart Starr”, not really believing it could be him. As I passed him I heard “hey! Wait!!!” I stopped the cart, and sure enough, it was him! I jumped off my cart, ran over to him and said “yes Mr. Starr, what can I do for you?” He stuck out his hand and said “I just want to thank you. It’s people like you that make it possible for us to put on this tournament.” I about passed out. Bart Starr, thanking ME?!?!
I thanked him and asked for his autograph, which he didn’t hesitate to give. I only had my note pad. I still have his signature from that day.
He was a class act, and always remembered the fans.
A few years ago I wrote him a fan letter, and enclosed a football card of him and asked if he could sign it for me. He signed it “to Alan, best wishes Bart Starr”.
Two of my most prized possessions.
He was a great player and man.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Man this is shocking. I feel like I just read last week that he was finally healthy enough to come back to Lambeau.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.